Upgrade. Loudspeaker size vs room size.

H

Hialeo302

Enthusiast
Hello all. I recently finished setting up my new HT and after spending some time listening to my setup, I have a basic upgrade/sound question. My gear is listed below, but I know my speakers are by far the weakest link. They were a present from the wife as they we on sale and I gladly accepted seeing as I had nothing before. I am planing to upgrade and plan to audition some Aperion Verus Grand speakers in home. What I'm trying to figure out is if the towers are too much for my space and a waste vs a set of bookshelves matched with my Emotiva 12" sub. I do about 65/35 listening to music over movies. I will be getting the center to match. I care mostly about audio over size, but not sure how much the size/layout of my room will effect the speakers and vice-versa.

The fronts are currently about 7ft apart from each other as thats all the space I have next to my HT stand. They are about 6" off the wall. My listening position is about 11ft away from the front speakers. They are slightly toe'ed in to me.

The rears are about 95* behind me to my sides. They are very close to my listening position and ear level right now. They are on stands and can be raised to about a foot above my ear level if need be for movies. They are 3.5'/4.5' away from me respectively R/L.

My sub is in the only corner I can place it atm. I have the speaker facing the wall and is about 2-3" off of it. It was suggested to me to NOT face the speaker towards the wall so I will play with turning it around.

I find my system has plenty of volume. The sound stage left-to-right is only OK. However what I'm really looking for is soundstage depth/imaging. From reading the forums it looks like this my be the hardest thing to get. I listen to a lot of SACD's and feel that by upgrading the speakers, the overall sound qaulity will be better. Just dont know if I should be looking at towers or bookshelves.

Budget is probably 3K max if I replaced the fronts, center and rears. I think tonally I shoud replace all with the same brand/type, at the very least the fronts and center. Footprint is not a problem for the fronts/center. The rears are another problem. Reason I was thinking of auditioning the Aperion Verus Grand was due to Gene's review. I know Gene, I and everyone else may have different likes, but a review like that coming from someone who does this for a living means I will be listening to a good speaker, even if it's not the one I buy in the end.

Here is the room layout as best as I could configure/draw it. As you can see, where the TV/speakers are is slightly off center of the couch, but its all I have to work with. You can see the rears are at ear level, and I have them facing in towards the listening position. Don't know if there is a better way to do this, but thats the start of a different conversation (mono/di/bipole?). Hope this image helps. Again volume right now with these entry speakers is not a problem with the Yamaha A3000, but not sure if it might be with another set of speakers. Any suggestions or things I should be looking for would be great.

[/url][/IMG]

Thanks

Roland

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hialeo302

Enthusiast
Could a Moderator please move this post to the Loudspeaker forum. It's been a long late night. Have no idea how I placed this here. Thank you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis