Upgrade from dayton 1200

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Dayton works well for movies, music however I am finding it to be a 'one note wonder'. Which direction should I go to move up. Would emotiva basx s10, even though a smaller driver, be a little more pleasant for music? Or is it possible to take the amp from the dayton and build a better sub. Would prefer to stay around $300 or less, possibly $400 if the deal was good. Would be used with mordaunt-short ms902s

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How did you choose placement of your current sub? Did you use the Audyssey setup and what are the resultant settings or changes you made afterward? As everettT asked, details of your room size/space are important to a sub's performance, too.

Using the amp with another driver likely won't work as the amp generally has dsp suited just for that driver/box combo. Starting from scratch with a DIY project may be a consideration, but you may want to up your budget a bit. This bundle plus an appropriate amp might be a good start in that direction, but the value really comes in with more than one sub for the amp (and a rack amp is a better choice than a plate amp IMO). Look at MrBoat's build thread on this package with a Behringer rack amp.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
First room I had it in is about 15x20 9ft ceilings, open to kitchen (included in space, small 2story townhome) movies it worked well, music it always lacked (logan dynamo 300 did better with music, not a whole lot for movies, logan amp failed so I picked up the dayton)
Have a 10 mon old so I moved all my audio from downstairs up to a bedroom, it was a hard decision lol. Bedroom is roughly 16x16 vaulted ceilings. Will be used solely for music.
The bedroom is definitely more speaker friendly, and I switch between boston a120s and mordaunt 902s. The sub adds nothing, I ran audisey on the dtr 7.8, no improvement, I got a dtm 5.3 from a buddy, was an improvement, oddly. But still lacking any real punch.

I'm going to keep the dayton for a dedicated theater when I purchase a house in the next yr or so, the 7.8 will be packed away as well

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
It might be your sub placement. I've not tried the 1200, but I have both the 1000 and 1500 and neither of them are one note wonders. Google sub 1200 graph and you'll find one measurement that's nearly flat. Outdoors I get a +-3dB response down to the rated f3. No doubt a better sub will sound better and probably have more headroom, however, with the 1000 I managed to achieve 108 dB with 3% THD and no port noise before I quit for the sake of my neighbors. I have no doubt the 1200 can easily achieve the 115dB required for reference volume in a medium sized room.

Try different room placement first, otherwise you might just end up buying a better sub and putting it in the same spot and still having a big bump at one note.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Square rooms add challenges to subs
Yup. In a 12x12 room I had a 20 dB peak at 50hz. In a 16x16 room it's likely the same situation but a slightly low frequency. I would suggest grabbing rew and putting a 31 band equalizer in line with the sub and placing it in the corner. There's likely one frequency that will need to be turned down 12dB. I would also strongly suggest the MLP be place as close to 38% from the rear and side wall opposite the sub, as I've found this gives that flattest response and should be just close enough to the cancellation point of the two dominate room modes to tame the peaks without causing a bass vacuum.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis