Upgrade AV Receiver

R

rak_32

Banned
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Rak,

Just out of curiosity, what year did you graduate high school? I'm not trying to be mean, just inquiring.
Come on man, im just asking if I should upgrade my speakers first or my A/V receiver. I heard that upgrading my A/V receiver wont change the quality of my speakers sound. Is this true? If so, what should I do then?

B

bmac

Audioholic
I think you should read a few more posts before you move in any direction. Plenty of post talk about buying systems. I don't want to sound like an ***, but your budget is a little small for major change(no pun). You need to do the research.

R

rak_32

Banned
bmac said:
I think you should read a few more posts before you move in any direction. Plenty of post talk about buying systems. I don't want to sound like an ***, but your budget is a little small for major change(no pun). You need to do the research.
Yes, I have done some research. I dont think I really need to spend much money on my speakers because first, I dont have a HUGE room to fill with sound. Just a moderate size living room. Do you know what kind of Klipsch speakers I should get to do that job? For now, i think i'll keep my BOSE rear speakers and i'll go and buy a sub if I decide to buy new front speakers (klipsch) to replace my current KLH speakers. Also, I dont know if I should still keep my 10 yr old receiver if I do decide to upgrade my speakers since my current receiver cant even support a sub. so thats a problem

B

bmac

Audioholic
I'm not sure I can say this......maybe HTIB? I mean you'll have match speakers, and a sub. If the room isn't that big....Ok, kill me now.

R

rak_32

Banned
bmac said:
I'm not sure I can say this......maybe HTIB? I mean you'll have match speakers, and a sub. If the room isn't that big....Ok, kill me now.
What do you think of the Athena Micra 6? I dont think its really a HTIB...... more like a bunch of speakers in a box. But since i already have existing speakers, i dont im going to go throw them all away just to go and buy a HTIB

heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&item=140021150160&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

B

bmac

Audioholic
I agree w/Buckeye go get a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers.Speaker will make the most diff w/your system.

R

rak_32

Banned
bmac said:
I agree w/Buckeye go get a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers.Speaker will make the most diff w/your system.
yes, but that leaves me another problem. bookshelf speakers means not enough bass. not enough bass means i need to buy a sub, but 1 problem. my receiver doesnt have a sub out jack or anything of that sort. so it doesnt seem like i am capable of connecting a sub to my receiver. that means buying a new receiver. yay! and spending more money. so im not sure what to do at this point.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Rak,
Our posts crossed earlier, the Pioneer 815 will work fine with the Klipsch setup. A more current receiver may not have better sound quality, but it will have newer features and better processing for your HT experience. If you want to timber match with your center, then you would want the Synergy B2/3.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/list.aspx?line=1258&type=1262
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6780691&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03043&id=1091101345658
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6780708&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03043&id=1091101345720

Once this gets worked out and you have more funds, we can look at subs.

T

toddious

Audioholic Intern
rak_32 said:
Yes, I have done some research. I dont think I really need to spend much money on my speakers because first, I dont have a HUGE room to fill with sound. Just a moderate size living room. Do you know what kind of Klipsch speakers I should get to do that job? For now, i think i'll keep my BOSE rear speakers and i'll go and buy a sub if I decide to buy new front speakers (klipsch) to replace my current KLH speakers. Also, I dont know if I should still keep my 10 yr old receiver if I do decide to upgrade my speakers since my current receiver cant even support a sub. so thats a problem
\\

good luck

R

rak_32

Banned
AVRat said:
Rak,
Our posts crossed earlier, the Pioneer 815 will work fine with the Klipsch setup. A more current receiver may not have better sound quality, but it will have newer features and better processing for your HT experience. If you want to timber match with your center, then you would want the Synergy B2/3.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/list.aspx?line=1258&type=1262
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6780691&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03043&id=1091101345658
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6780708&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03043&id=1091101345720

Once this gets worked out and you have more funds, we can look at subs.
yes, but spending so much money on those synergy speakers will be wasted if I do not have a subwoofer. So im deciding if I should go out and buy 2 klipsch bookshelf speakers and a sub, then but a new receiver that will support a sub. what do u think?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
rak_32 said:
yes, but spending so much money on those synergy speakers will be wasted if I do not have a subwoofer. So im deciding if I should go out and buy 2 klipsch bookshelf speakers and a sub, then but a new receiver that will support a sub. what do u think?
If you are for real, here are your major problems:

1) Your speakers don't match. That is a HUGE issue. Not only are they not tonally balanced, they don't play at the same levels (spl/dB). The sound is all over the place.

2) You've got inexpensive 3 way towers that give you a lot of punchy type of bass. Since you're used to this punch bass, you may never fully appreciate a good subwoofer. I'm not seeing funds in your future to really ever obtain a solid subwoofer - ie. $500 and up. You are correct in that getting rid of your $199 KLH towers that probably have 12" woofers will eliminate your bass. What you don't want is to go out and buy a cheapo $199 Onkyo entry level receiver, $300 in Klipsch bookshelves, and a $150 subwoofer. Although you'll have timber matching, you'll lose that punch bass you're used to.

3) Money. You simply don't have the budget right now to upgrade to a point where I think you'll be happy. No HTIB system is honestly going to put a smile on your face. You'd be much better off going with a setup like Jaxvon has - all Venturi type bookshelves with a HSU entry level sub and Pioneer 1015 receiver. The problem is, your center channel is decent quality. If you don't stick with Klipsch, you throw out the possibility of integrating the Klipsch with anything else. Klipsch speakers don't mesh with any other speaker. They're too efficient. Plus, they're horn loaded speakers.

4) Repetitiveness. It seems like you're getting a lot of feedback on your 15 threads, but keep asking the same questions over and over. I've got a great idea. List your entire system on ebay for $375 and chuck the entire thing. Then start from scratch and max out your Discover card. You can make payments and not have to listen to us preach what to do. You do have $1200 or so credit on your Discover, right?

5) You still haven't told me what year you graduated high school. :confused:

6) You must quit telling us you own Bose. Bose is not a word in the dictionary. It does not belong in your house. Chuck it.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Buckeyefan 1 said:
If you are for real, here are your major problems:

1) Your speakers don't match. That is a HUGE issue. Not only are they not tonally balanced, they don't play at the same levels (spl/dB). The sound is all over the place.

2) You've got inexpensive 3 way towers that give you a lot of punchy type of bass. Since you're used to this punch bass, you may never fully appreciate a good subwoofer. I'm not seeing funds in your future to really ever obtain a solid subwoofer - ie. $500 and up. You are correct in that getting rid of your $199 KLH towers that probably have 12" woofers will eliminate your bass. What you don't want is to go out and buy a cheapo $199 Onkyo entry level receiver, $300 in Klipsch bookshelves, and a $150 subwoofer. Although you'll have timber matching, you'll lose that punch bass you're used to.

3) Money. You simply don't have the budget right now to upgrade to a point where I think you'll be happy. No HTIB system is honestly going to put a smile on your face. You'd be much better off going with a setup like Jaxvon has - all Venturi type bookshelves with a HSU entry level sub and Pioneer 1015 receiver. The problem is, your center channel is decent quality. If you don't stick with Klipsch, you throw out the possibility of integrating the Klipsch with anything else. Klipsch speakers don't mesh with any other speaker. They're too efficient. Plus, they're horn loaded speakers.

4) Repetitiveness. It seems like you're getting a lot of feedback on your 15 threads, but keep asking the same questions over and over. I've got a great idea. List your entire system on ebay for $375 and chuck the entire thing. Then start from scratch and max out your Discover card. You can make payments and not have to listen to us preach what to do. You do have $1200 or so credit on your Discover, right?

5) You still haven't told me what year you graduated high school. :confused:

6) You must quit telling us you own Bose. Bose is not a word in the dictionary. It does not belong in your house. Chuck it.
Give it up, BEF1. This guy is NOT for real.

R

rak_32

Banned
rjbudz said:
Give it up, BEF1. This guy is NOT for real.
You know what, your just a jerk. You dont have to act all tough just because you know more about a subject than someone else does. Im just trying to learn more about speakers and you have to diss me just because im a newbie?
Well thanks anyways to the people who do help me.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
rak_32 said:
You know what, your just a jerk. You dont have to act all tough just because you know more about a subject than someone else does. Im just trying to learn more about speakers and you have to diss me just because im a newbie?
Well thanks anyways to the people who do help me.
Rak, you're back! We missed you. What have you decided on during your time off? Do any shopping while you were gone?

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
Ease up..... Gents

Rak,

First off I think everyone IS trying to help you out. We ALL started this out from somewhere much like you have. You have gotten some good advice for sure. Buckeyefan is one of the best guys on here so don't slam him for getting frustrated by trying to help.

First be happy, really with what you have. It is a lot better than TV speakers right? Is there better sure, if you want better, take your time, get it one piece at a time. In the end you will have so much more appreciation for it. Sure you (Like a lot of us) can't go out and buy EVERYTHING NOW. That’s OK. Look at your system component by component. What would you really like to change out the most? DO some research and replace it first. Then the next step, and so on. You need to step back a little and look at a little longer (more rewarding in the end) mindset. If your towers are working for you now replace something else. If your receiver does not have a sub-out then this may be something you might want to look at first. I have the Pioneer VSX-816 that I think was brought up earlier in this thread in my bedroom and it is great, really great for the price. Keep your eyes out everywhere for a sub (too many to recommend) pick it up when you get the dough, then work on the rest. In the end you want all of your speakers to be timbre matched. SO once again 1 piece at a time. Don't be so worried about bookshelves if you get a good sub. Obviously if you can get floor standing speakers then go for it but with a good sub bookshelves are fine.

Anyway just keep it all in prospective, and take your time. Also remember to enjoy your system, some get so caught up in trying to upgrade they kind of forget to enjoy what they have.

R

rak_32

Banned
wafflebird said:
Rak,

First off I think everyone IS trying to help you out. We ALL started this out from somewhere much like you have. You have gotten some good advice for sure. Buckeyefan is one of the best guys on here so don't slam him for getting frustrated by trying to help.

First be happy, really with what you have. It is a lot better than TV speakers right? Is there better sure, if you want better, take your time, get it one piece at a time. In the end you will have so much more appreciation for it. Sure you (Like a lot of us) can't go out and buy EVERYTHING NOW. That’s OK. Look at your system component by component. What would you really like to change out the most? DO some research and replace it first. Then the next step, and so on. You need to step back a little and look at a little longer (more rewarding in the end) mindset. If your towers are working for you now replace something else. If your receiver does not have a sub-out then this may be something you might want to look at first. I have the Pioneer VSX-816 that I think was brought up earlier in this thread in my bedroom and it is great, really great for the price. Keep your eyes out everywhere for a sub (too many to recommend) pick it up when you get the dough, then work on the rest. In the end you want all of your speakers to be timbre matched. SO once again 1 piece at a time. Don't be so worried about bookshelves if you get a good sub. Obviously if you can get floor standing speakers then go for it but with a good sub bookshelves are fine.

Anyway just keep it all in prospective, and take your time. Also remember to enjoy your system, some get so caught up in trying to upgrade they kind of forget to enjoy what they have.
Thanks, I think im going to just ditch my speakers and start from scratch. My living room is small so i think i'll just get the Athena 8 speakers now..... but the JBL SCS145.5 is only 150.00 at costco and if i dont ike them, i could just return them. What do you guys think?

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
1 piece at a time

You don't have to "Ditch" anything just keep what you have and replace it one piece (component) at a time. Change out the thing you like the least first, then the next and so on. That way you won't be without a system. It is better to buy what you want 1 piece at a time instead of going out and buying something you REALLY may not be that crazy about and then start the whole process over again. Circuit-City is blowing out their Infinity’s as they will sell them no more once they are gone they will be gone at this price. Go pick up 4 of the Primus 150's. They are great speakers. They are selling them for $69 with a $30 mail in rebate so you will be getting them for essentially $39. You will not find a better deal on some really great speakers. Then you need a receiver, center channel CC has good deals on these as well, and a good sub. In the mean time keep what you have and go about with a little bit of a longer term approach. Figure out which center you want (remember your best bet is to stay with Infinity as they will be timbre matched but you are in charge) and get that. Then move on to the sub, then the receiver and bada-bing-bada-boom look what you have a GREAT SYSTEM that you built. Now obviously you can do this in any order but bear in mind that the great deal on the Infinity’s will be short lived and once they are gone those deals will be no more. The main point is slow down, take a breath, and take the first step that will lead you to a great system.:cool:

R

rak_32

Banned
Thanks, so if I do proceed onto purchacing the Infinitys, what sub woofer do you recomend I buy? Does it matter if my sub is a different brand? Wont that affect the timbre at all?

W

wafflebird

Audioholic
Don't worry about matching the sub

The sub is the one speaker that does not have to match anything in the system brand wise. All it does is create low frequency it does not have multiple driver arrays such as mid-range and tweeters so it does not have to match. There are so many subs to choose from it is almost unlimited what you have to choose from, to properly answer your question we will need to know roughly what you will be planning on spending on the sub. Once we know that we can point you in the right direction. look around at vanns dot com, and JR dot com etc. You know Vanns has the Mirage S8 for less than $200 and that little thing ROCKS plus it is small so it will not eat up a lot of floor space. You have to go with the Platinum color to get that price but that is no big deal. Do yourself a favor (voice of expierience talking here) get something with a decent power rating say at least 100 - 200 watts rated, then a lot of them have a higer peak wattage, but don't go with a smaller rating as you will have to have the gain jacked up on it. The Mirage is 100 rated but it has 400 watt peak which is ample juice. I have a 200 watt in my bedroom and an 185 watt in the main room, both are sufficient. Anyway sorry for the delay in answering you, fire back with any questions.

R

rak_32

Banned
I was thinking on getting the HSU Ventriloquist VT-12 http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html

or the Athena Micra 6 Speaker System which would come with everything I need including the sub.

I was told the HSU would sound much better than the Athena, but I dont know since I havent tested either one of them out before.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis