Upgrade amp or processor

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
BTW, she hasn't figured out that it's cheaper to keep her at home than to have her work and pay for child care. SSSSHHHHHHHHH.....;););););)
Wow, planes, 802 diamonds, Clear Audio TT, Mc amps, what else can an audioholic ask?[/QUOTE]

lol. When I said it cost me a lot, I was referring to the fact that as long as she can stay at home, I can have these toys. I can't tell her to get a job so that I can have these toys. ;)

Thanks for the article, gonna sit down with coffee and read. As far as THD, the Mc is .005. The losses you speak of about the autoformers, how do they affect the overall THD of the unit? In theory, would the THD be lower if you removed the autoformers?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Output transformers are required in Tube amps due to the high output impedance of the tube output stage. The worst situation you can have is for a source's (amp) output impedance to be higher than the load's (speaker) input impedance. Thus, tube amps use transformers for impedance matching to solve this problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching

Now, a properly designed SS amp will already have very low output impedance, much lower than 4ohms. You rarely see an amp's output impedance spec, rather it is usually spec'd as the "damping factor"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_factor

Thus, a proper SS amp has NO NEED FOR OUTPUT TRANSFORMERS. Transformers suffer from a problem known as hysteresis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis

I took a look at the Mc link. The bottom line is that this is the 21st century, and there are better ways to accomplish the end goals without the use of the auto-former.

I think the other analogies of Mc sticking to these transformers and comparing that to the vette is a pretty good way to look at it. It's a hold-over of "this is how we engineer it at this company". I'm sure it performs and sounds great, just like a vette!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I recently decided that even the LCD screen on my Denon AVP-A1 was too bright and bothering me. :D

So now I turned off the LCD screen.

Although I love the aesthetics of the McIntosh, I think those blue lights are way too bright for me. Can you turn off the display light on those McIntosh amps?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the article, gonna sit down with coffee and read. As far as THD, the Mc is .005. The losses you speak of about the autoformers, how do they affect the overall THD of the unit? In theory, would the THD be lower if you removed the autoformers?
You have to scroll all the way down to get to the autotransformer section. McIntosh SS amp's THDs typically are so low that they can't get much lower regardless.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Hey, I respect your opinion. Please elaborate. I really do want to understand. It won't make a difference because it is what I bought and what has high resale value, but I do want to understand, or at least get your side of the point. Like I said, I have zero ee background. Unless it has to do with airplanes, I know nothing. ;) All I know is I enjoys very much!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D
Tube amplifiers need output transformers because tubes have a high operating voltage and a high output impedance. I'm not a tube circuit expert by any means, but I think 3-6K ohms per tube is about what we're talking about, and the voltage level is hundreds of volts. Speakers, obviously, are 4-8 ohms nominally and need much lower voltages, so there's a mismatch between the voltage and current levels a tube output stage works at and what speakers want. The transformer steps down the voltage of the output stage to the voltage range speakers operate in. Put another way, the output transformer allows the tube output stage to be designed for optimal performance independently of the vastly different speaker load.

Some companies have designed tube amps without output transformers, and, not surprising, they tout that their amps sound better because they don't have output transformers. Unfortunately, those amps are finicky, expensive devices.

Output transformers typically have multiple taps for different speaker impedance ranges, for better matching of the load to the tube output stage. The matching effect of the transformer allows the output power to stay about the same into different taps, which is why amps with output transformers are often rated with a similar number of watts into various impedances. The question is, why do the transformers on your amps have multiple taps, since...

Transistor output stages are low output impedance designs. Good solid state amplifiers have an output impedance of 0.5 ohms or less, often much less. As a result, as the speaker's impedance varies the transistor output stage will try to maintain a constant output voltage, within the design's limits, which implies that as speaker impedance halves output power doubles - a very nice property to have. And it also means that transistor output stages do not need output transformers for matching the amplifier's output stage impedance to the speaker's impedance. You can put an output transformer on a solid state amp, but IMO it just gets in the way of what the transistor output stage can easily do on its own, with the right topology and power supply.

So, am I dissing your amp? Only as a discussion topic. :) It's like a Porsche 911, in that the architecture seems silly, but a 911 is really a joy to drive anyway due to exquisite execution. I think the McIntosh amps are like that too.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the info. Really interesting read.

ADTG, yes they can be turned off. NO reason to though. I'd rather wear sunglasses. ;-) lol

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Output transformers are required in Tube amps due to the high output impedance of the tube output stage. The worst situation you can have is for a source's (amp) output impedance to be higher than the load's (speaker) input impedance. Thus, tube amps use transformers for impedance matching to solve this problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impedance_matching

Now, a properly designed SS amp will already have very low output impedance, much lower than 4ohms. You rarely see an amp's output impedance spec, rather it is usually spec'd as the "damping factor"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_factor

Thus, a proper SS amp has NO NEED FOR OUTPUT TRANSFORMERS. Transformers suffer from a problem known as hysteresis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteresis

I took a look at the Mc link. The bottom line is that this is the 21st century, and there are better ways to accomplish the end goals without the use of the auto-former.

I think the other analogies of Mc sticking to these transformers and comparing that to the vette is a pretty good way to look at it. It's a hold-over of "this is how we engineer it at this company". I'm sure it performs and sounds great, just like a vette!
Apologies, I didn't see your post before I posted mine. It's nice to see that we're saying the same things.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis