Upgrade 1080UB Epson?

X

xyzzy-27615

Audiophyte
I've got an Epson Pro Cinema 1080UB from 2008 that I'm relatively happy with, but I don't know what I might be missing with the newer models like the 5010. I'm trying to avoid reprogramming my old RTI remote so I'd want an Epson if the codes are the same. I only need to turn it on and off but it's in another room (through a hole in the wall). With a budget of ~$3000, what could I reasonably expect out of an upgrade?

I'm projecting onto an 80" Screen Innovations Black screen. Room has lots of windows but decent light control with shutters. I'm mostly watching Blu-ray movies at night, sometimes streaming Neflix. No interest in 3D.

I can do the math, but would it be safe to assume the newer models have at least as much shift adjustments as the older ones?

Thanks.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The Epson 5020 does have similar lens shift, but I would be hard pressed to recommend any projector anymore at a screen size of just 80". If you have an available budget of $3,000, then you are close to the purchase price of a 80" Sharp LCD display. No more windows to worry about at all... in fact, none of the pitfalls of front projection to deal with.

Still, the 5020 is a very good model. Not sure I would upgrade over the 1080UB which is a rock solid model already.

If I were to buy a projector today, it would be the JVC RS46 - right about $3,000.

X

xyzzy-27615

Audiophyte
Good idea. Is that considered a good TV or just better than a projector for that price point? Looks like it's half the price of other 80" and didn't see great reviews. That said, that could still be miles ahead of a projector given a room with some daylight.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis