UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
I just spend the past two hours going through my paypal and e-mail so I could fill it out and have receipts for everything (as requested). Nothing like getting a refresher on how I got taken. :mad:

woofersus

woofersus

Audioholic
What are you trying to open them with? You can download an update for Office 2003 that will let you open them normally.
And download the rest of your updates too while you're at it. That patch was released almost 3 years ago!

S

SlushPuppy

Audioholic Intern
And download the rest of your updates too while you're at it. That patch was released almost 3 years ago!
The AV321 crowd that migrated to that "other" forum are saying they're not going to fill out the form because it's "not worth the trouble". That just makes me sick. It's the equivalent of watching someone steal from a department store and not reporting them because "I don't want to get involved". If they can take the time to make a forum post, they surely can fill out the impact statement. One guy still believes Schifter is going to supply them with replacement drivers!

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
The AV321 crowd that migrated to that "other" forum are saying they're not going to fill out the form because it's "not worth the trouble". That just makes me sick. It's the equivalent of watching someone steal from a department store and not reporting them because "I don't want to get involved". If they can take the time to make a forum post, they surely can fill out the impact statement. One guy still believes Schifter is going to supply them with replacement drivers!
What would happen if you posted this same post over there?

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Someone else re-posted it there for him.

Since they're apparently reading this thread, feel free to re-post this:
Victim Impact Statement said:
Crime costs in many ways. Without your statement, we cannot ask the judge for restitution. The law says that the court shall order defendant to make FULL RESTITUTION to the victim (and/or victim’s immediate family) for actual damages.
The emphasis is theirs, not mine.

So, feel free to just not be bothered to fill it out. MLS is counting on you to not fill it out. :rolleyes:

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Well, there were some folks there who really didn't want to do anything because from their POV the only way Mark could make restitution and make good on other things was for him to stay in business.

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Now that he's no long in business how is keeping him out of jail going to help him pay back restitution? Is he going to get a job at the local Best Buy?

Last edited:
N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
Well, there were some folks there who really didn't want to do anything because from their POV the only way Mark could make restitution and make good on other things was for him to stay in business.
I don't really understand how someone could think MLS should stay out of jail so he can make restitution. It didn't make any sense 2 years ago, and it makes even less sense now. What's he going to do? Start another audio company? Work as a ceo for someone? Sell used cars? He was CEO/VP/Owner of one of the highest volume ID audio companies and during that time he not only couldn't afford to make restitution, he couldn't afford to keep from stealing the money in the first place.

Seize his assets (if any), send him to jail. Garnishing his 400 dollar/week paycheck from Crazy Frank's Used Auto Emporium for the rest of his life isn't a solution.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe he can take some finance classes and get his degree or real estate license while in jail then work for someone who has a financial services company and provide loans for folks who might be looking to buy a home or car.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Maybe he can take some finance classes and get his degree or real estate license while in jail then work for someone who has a financial services company and provide loans for folks who might be looking to buy a home or car.
Priceless! :D

S

Sevenfeet

Enthusiast
You guys need to realize that Victim Impact Statement is a valuable tool for the judge to decide whether or not Schifter will do hard time so take your time and fill it out as thoroughly and accurately as your memory serves you.
I posted on Tweak City a few minutes ago about this but do we really think that Mark would do significant (or any) prison time for all of this? I mean, we have a middle-aged white collar felon with a heart problem and no previous criminal record. Usually the courts try to do probation for cases like that especially since Mark spared the AG's office the time and expense of a trial.

I realize that you (Hugh) probably want to see Mark rot in jail more than most of us, but I'm trying to look at this from the standpoint of how the legal system works.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
I posted on Tweak City a few minutes ago about this but do we really think that Mark would do significant (or any) prison time for all of this? I mean, we have a middle-aged white collar felon with a heart problem and no previous criminal record. Usually the courts try to do probation for cases like that especially since Mark spared the AG's office the time and expense of a trial.

I realize that you (Hugh) probably want to see Mark rot in jail more than most of us, but I'm trying to look at this from the standpoint of how the legal system works.
Well, I think in many instances there is a deterrent thing at work here. This is particularly evident in tax fraud cases (bank fraud is another), where the courts will try to deter these actions in the future.

That being said, if Mark gets away with no jail time then I think it sort of says well stealing from charities is not that big a deal-set-up a fraudulent raffle and hope you don't get caught. I would be surprised at that. On the other hand, all things you have said makes me think the jail time will not be as long as it could be. I predict a year in jail with possilbiity of parole in 6 months although it could be longer. No jail time would surprise me and almost certainly send the wrong message to potential charity defrauders out there.

Last edited:
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai

I have no idea but if people choose to do nothing, that would increase the odds of leniency in the sentencing with respect to any incarceration and its duration. If you feel that leniency is warranted, then do nothing. There have been other cases the CO AG has prosecuted that involved people obtaining money under false pretenses and those individuals did or are doing jail time. As to him not having a previous criminal record, I cannot comment on it because I've never run a CBC (Criminal Background Check) on him.

H

Hugh-Melody

Audioholic
Well,

Since you mentioned my name, please educate me as to how you guess/think my viewpoint on this. :)

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic

I'm not holding out much hope for meaningful prison time, but the nature of his crime (using charities as bait instead of the more popular "greed bait" tactics) does exacerbate the situation. This may be partly a result of knowing folks at ALSAC/St. Jude and knowing how tenaciously non-profits deal with these sorts of matters, but I do think a judge may be less lenient of this particular bit of white collar crime.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
I have no idea but if people choose to do nothing, that would increase the odds of leniency in the sentencing with respect to any incarceration and its duration. If you feel that leniency is warranted, then do nothing. There have been other cases the CO AG has prosecuted that involved people obtaining money under false pretenses and those individuals did or are doing jail time. As to him not having a previous criminal record, I cannot comment on it because I've never run a CBC (Criminal Background Check) on him.
I concur and will file the form even thought I only gave $50 to a raffle. I don't think a fine without jail time is enough of a deterrence for MLS (and potential MLS'S out there).

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
How about community service? He could go around helping people set up their HT systems. Maybe put on lectures on the pitfalls of using Bose. Or how about lectures on business ethics?

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
How about community service? He could go around helping people set up their HT systems. Maybe put on lectures on the pitfalls of using Bose. Or how about lectures on business ethics?
Or how to write appeals for raffle money. He is excellent at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis