UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Was that deposit for the current vaporware line - The Ricket G2's?

woofersus

woofersus

Audioholic
Was that deposit for the current vaporware line - The Ricket G2's?
Just thought about that for a minute. If they really were taking pre-orders for G2's that weren't yet developed and it can be proven that they weren't actively being developed could that open the door for a new round of fraud charges? Maybe even against other people than Mark? I know they can say they were hoping to get them built but the business just couldn't make it to that point, but it seems like an argument could be made that they knew it couldn't happen, or at least that it was very unlikely to happen.

There is certainly precedent for piercing the veil (I assume AV123 was an LLC) in situations like this, and it's all the more likely to be possible when the company is privately owned by one or just a couple of individuals. Moreover, there were only a couple of people running the place at the end. Individual responsibility becomes fairly easy to pinpoint.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Just thought about that for a minute. If they really were taking pre-orders for G2's that weren't yet developed and it can be proven that they weren't actively being developed could that open the door for a new round of fraud charges? Maybe even against other people than Mark? I know they can say they were hoping to get them built but the business just couldn't make it to that point, but it seems like an argument could be made that they knew it couldn't happen, or at least that it was very unlikely to happen.

There is certainly precedent for piercing the veil (I assume AV123 was an LLC) in situations like this, and it's all the more likely to be possible when the company is privately owned by one or just a couple of individuals. Moreover, there were only a couple of people running the place at the end. Individual responsibility becomes fairly easy to pinpoint.
I don't know if it's specifically fraud but it's illegal to offer products for sale that don't exist. In Colorado, as in other states, it's some sort of a violation of consumer protection laws and carries penalties. When they posted the various G2 speakers for sale, when you clicked on a speaker to order, you'd see that they would say they had 30 available. As we know now, and probably knew then, that just wasn't so. So, if as Seth (?) has said that a person informed him that he paid money for one of those, then AV451 was in violation of one of the consumer protection laws. That's why when you go to those WalMart Black Friday sales, you'll generally see something like 'limited to store stock' or X number available.

There was another instance, after MLS was indicted for the raffle scam, that he did in fact run one more raffle but not many picked up on it. That was when he sent out the fliers that said if you spent $500 or more from them, you would be automatically entered for an iPad. That was a raffle because it was limited to just purchasers of a certain amount. In order to offer that promotion legally, it would have to be open to anyone regardless of whether they bought something or not. Then, it would have been a sweepstakes. I did bring it to the attention of authorities in Colorado in the Secretary of State Department and they also contacted the AG's office. However, I don't think anything came of it. I believe if MLS had specifically stated that he authorized the promotion it might have been another story but as it stands, I guess it wasn't very high profile. Finite resources and all that.

N

NewOrlnsDukie

Audiophyte
Thanks for listing the auction.

Hoping to get some good deals to make up for the money MLS still owes me.:)

K

Karl_in_Chicago

Audiophyte
If it makes you feel better, Mark needed it for his defense fund. Since I thought it was widely known he was blatantly stealing from his friends for over 6 years it is hard to believe you had no idea, but I am sorry to hear he got you too. Thats rough. And btw, forget disappointment, just move on to anger because the man is a flat out conman. If you meant disappointed in yourself for believing him, well then I have been there too. Its very easy to see he is a sociopath once you unplug from the Matrix.

Edit: I am sorry if that came off a little cold. I really am sorry you are out money, but you were a forum regular I thought? Did you quit checking in the last couple years? I remember you, but I apologize for not remembering if you quit coming around.
Yes, I was a forum regular but stopped some time ago. I didn't/don't find your post cold at all, no worries. It's my own fault for not following up earlier to try and get my deposit back (this was for a BMF-1, LOL).

I'm less sorry for me than for all the people he must have messed up by association. And the charity thing is simply inexcusable - I really thought I was helping orphans in Russia. It's one thing to be a dishonest businessman (and I in no way condone that) but to use innocent children as shills is . . . I really don't even have adequate words for that, it's so wrong.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Remember this earlier link? Eclectic array of vehicles if I say so myself.

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html;jsessionid=2h19uj07oqri?vs=0
Yeah. That sure brings back memories. Looking at the list, it's really interesting to see the date of the post and the year of the cars. I wonder how Gracie enjoyed Tokyo? I also hope Ms. Khabarovsk is enjoying the Lexus as she goes about her business.

But the real mark of a successful man is when he gets someone else to do the driving for him. So, I'd have to say that he's finally reached his zenith.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Fwiw

I joined Rennteam and made a post in the thread that MinusTheBear was so kind as to bring up once again. I said,

I am sure most have forgotten this particular thread, but I thought some folks would be interested in knowing that the poster, mlschifter, whoi is more properly known as Mark L. Schifter, owner of the now closed down AV123, was indicted earlier this year for running a series of fraudulent charity raffles. He absconded with approximately $150,000 and in the process defrauded causes like Sloan Kettering Cancer, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, the American Red Cross (Hurrican Katrina), and several others. He pleaded guilty earlier this month and will be sentenced on October 8, 2010.

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
I joined Rennteam and made a post in the thread that MinusTheBear was so kind as to bring up once again. I said,
How long after that post was made do we know he had his hand the raffle cookie jar? In 06 a Carman S with pretty typical options was probably 80k+ new.

In 2007 retail value of just the cars he had in the US, used, would have been in excess of 150,000 dollars.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
m-fine

m-fine

Audioholic

Once again, why have Kyle, Lynn, Susan, and anyone else involved been given a free pass? They were active participants in this most recent fraud.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like they didn't appreciate the update.
Shows up when I go there. Try doing a search for mlschifter.
Holy crap! Nice little collection there. In March 2006, it had been close to 18 months since the first raffle. He was just hitting his stride in running raffles, and somehow the "underfunding" slip-ups didn't impede his ability to buy expensive cars in two or three countries. Sickening...
The ones in Russia he bought for Ms. Khabarovski. I've heard that he never owned the cars in China. They were there for his use.

Once again, why have Kyle, Lynn, Susan, and anyone else involved been given a free pass? They were active participants in this most recent fraud.
I don't give any of them a pass even going way back when. Humbly Bumbly was the only one that could be nailed. Suzy will probably survive because of hubby. The rest will get whatever it is they're owed in life.

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
Hmm, works again for me. Strange. It worked, you said you added a comment it then said invalid link, and now I can see it again. Whatever. :cool:

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I just know how sad it must be for MLS to not see his old friends. Just want him to know that I care. :p

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
So do you have to pick it up on site? Couldn't find anything about shipping.
I wouldn't mind getting a mfw 15 for 20$ :D

Heck couple of those desks looked pretty good to.

M

Murrel

Audioholic Intern
Description: Short Notice Public Online Only Auction! AUCTION ENDS ON DATE LISTED ABOVE Removal: Removal: Tuesday, August 31st, 10:00am - 5:00pm 16% BUYER'S PREMIUM PLUS SALES TAX WITH 3% CASH DISCOUNT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis