J

jdp

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I have a friend who is just about to plunge into purchasing a dvd player and tv.

He has done a little research with audio shops and some are telling him not to buy (universal) players as the formats were so unproven that paying for the technology simply doesn't make sense at this point.

Can anyone provide comment on the universal players compared with single component dvd players? Is there any advantage of buying as stand alone dvd player compared to a universal player

(For the record I am waiting on my denon dvd 2200)</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I currently am using a sony DVD SACD player and a Toshiba DVD-a player linked to an Onkyo via a couple pf radio shack #1951 game boxes with great results. &nbsp;

However, I have heard and read that Onkyo is offering a universal DVD-A/Sacd player that is exclent.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000080'>I think DVD-A/SACD are far beyond &quot;unproven&quot;. The only remaining issue is getting the standardized digital signal path ironed out and available in all receivers.

There's always give and take. On some cheaper universal players you may find shared circuitry. On more expensive players, they make it a point to indicate that the SACD and DVD-A circuits are discreet.</font>

FeisalK

FeisalK

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>jdp

if your friend is interested in music at all, he might want to invest in a universal player - as hawke says, its far beyond unproven - there are a number of titles being released quite regularly and best of all multichannel (m/c) audio is a revelation!

(when you get your 2200, get a copy of Roxy Music Avalon SACD and Blue Man Group Audio DVD-A)

For now (unless you get a matching player + receiver) you can only connect through m/c 5.1 analog connections. This sort of restricts the number of m/c players you can have in your system (very few high end receivers have 2 sets of 5.1 inputs) so a universal player is the best option as far as entry level m/c audio is concerned.

Start off with a Pioneer 563A (US$180 street I think, and you also get Progressive Scan video) which is a good entry-level uni player. For the whole list you might want to visit DVD-A.DK</font>

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi to tall, I am contemplating on getting a Pioneer 563A universal player which is the cheapest in my country. &nbsp;Have read though that in order to keep the cost down, Pioneer is using LPCM transcriptions in its SACD decoding circuitry shared with CD decoding, and NOT the native DSD 1-bit/2.8Mhz. &nbsp;Is there a degradation in sound quality for this implementation of SACD?</font>

<font color='#000080'>We'll be adding the Yamaha DVD-S2300MkII to our reviews next month - so I'll be sure to post some thoughts on that when it gets here next week.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Great,

I have the original DVD-S2300 and it would be interesting to see what changes have been done by Yamaha to the Mk-II.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hawke,

Any chance of getitng a review of the denon 2200 any time soon?</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis