Universal Disc Player

D

Doufuss

Enthusiast
I'm shopping for a good dvd /// player.

Price range from $400 - $600 CDN.

I've narrowed my choices down to a Denon or a Yamaha. Please post a suggestion.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I can't say anything about the Yammie, but I have a Denon DVD-2200 and it's the best player I've ever used. The bass managment works well for DVD-A & SACD, the picture with DVDs is superb and the unit has a memory buffer to eliminate hickups at layer change. It easily bests the Sony & Pioneer models I've used in the same price range and has been one of the best purchases I've ever made.

D

Doufuss

Enthusiast
Thanks

I could only find one retail store that carries that model, and they have it listed at $1,169 CDN.

What price did you pay?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Hmmm...I paid about $600, but I bought it from an authorized B&M store right when it came out. I know it can be had online for about $150 cheaper. And I'm talking U.S. dollars as I live in the midwest part of America.

S

steve.m

Enthusiast
In OZ the 2200 retails for about $1200.00 Australian. I'm wanting to update my CD player(from an old Marantz CC47) and was looking at as universal player that plays CD's well. I would like a Denon link capable player(I purchased my AVR3805 3 weeks ago) but the only one currently available here is the 5900 and it retails for about $4000.00!!!! way out of my price range. I emailed Denon's Australian distributor today and the reply I received said that a new range of players are due out in September and Denon Link will feature in a lower price range(so you would expect) but he had no specifics. Question is; Is it worth hanging out and waiting for Denon Link and does the 2200 sound as good as a stand alone mid range CD player. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated :confused: .............Steve.

D

Doufuss

Enthusiast
I'm back

There is a soon to be released single disc player from Yamaha model number DVD-S1500.

It will retail for $589 CDN ($449 USD) and has virtually everything I was looking for in a player. Here's the URL --

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD/DVDS1500.htm

The local retail outlet says August. I'll keep you posted.

Yes, we'll try to review that model - looks like an excellent price point for a universal player with DCDi...

I can't wait for the day, however, when IEEE 1394 (Firewire) is simply standard on DVDs...

E

Eph

Samsung HD-941

This model, due by Sept 30, 2004, boasts DCDi, upconverting and SACD as well as DVD audio. $299 from Amazon with additional $50 coupon on future purchase.

D

Doufuss

Enthusiast
They're here

Today or tomorrow, I will pick up a 1500. It is most convenient that my current player has failed. (Long story) The lesson is, buy the extended warranty. The new unit is priced at $599cdn.

I will only be able to provide subjective observations about the unit, but I'll post in a couple of weeks.

D

Doufuss

Enthusiast
Update

Purchased the unit yesterday, and so far, so good. I can't comment on progressive output, but the interlaced signal is much improved over my old unit.

It has a lot of flexibility in playable media and in sound management, including bass management in 6 channel. Intuitive UI that is easy to navigate in with a huge variety of options.

Today, I will try a DVD audio disc to see if there is any real improvement.

D

Doufuss

Enthusiast
Too Bad

I returned the Yamaha as it failed to read a DVD audio disc. To qualify this statement, the overall experience was good. Far, far superior to my old unit.

I really enjoyed playing in the UI and it played DVD movies and Music CDs of various kinds very well. However, in my opinion, the player did not work 100% as advertised due to its failure to read the DVD audio disc. This was a brand new disc, fresh out of the box.

Yes, I did set it up properly. The disc simply sat in the player with "READING" blinking on the display for 40 minutes. I could not get the disc to eject, and I finally had to power the unit off to get the disc out.

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis