Underworld Evolution

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
WmAx

Neither am I but I do catch on fast. If I can lace a projector that’s got lots of moving parts, then surly I must be able to figure out the minor fault and minor is what it is.

I’ve seen far worse, it’s kinder like the (watercolours) but I don’t have server red or blue or green that is wiping out the whole picture no.

But it does make look a bit off the norm. I should have made a note when I calibrated it last, I did something that corrected it.

Also I’m fully aware that there’s up to 27.000volts running around within it so I am cautious!

Anyway I’m going to look at one more thing within it, and that’s it I’m going down to the building society in the morning and see if I can get a credit card, to obtain a 34” LCD monitor.

I want to run that Underworld Evolution sound test…:mad: I'm cool, i'm cool:cool: sorry I lost it :mad:.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sony CRTs are known for a "red push", and I believe the only way to get rid of it is via the service menu. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get to the service menu for your set.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
j_garcia

I would say it would be very hard to come by today, it was produced around 1986. Well I can grim the flaring of the text just a little bit longer. LOL its starting to get to me now!:D

Anyway that’s it I’m going stick the back cover back onto the SONY and do that sound test.

ElementMorgan

ElementMorgan

Audiophyte
Great Sound - Okay movie

I loved the sound, good use of surrounds and an excellent woofer workout. Movie could have been better. Picture quality was top-notch!

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
j_garcia said:
I did watch much of the extras (EEs) and know why they did it. There were numerous other changes as well, Shelob was just one thing they moved.
Am I the only one that HATED the change to the ending of the first movie? It was totally stupid and unnecessary in my opinion. I thought the ending of the book was much better.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
ElementMorgan said:
I loved the sound, good use of surrounds and an excellent woofer workout. Movie could have been better. Picture quality was top-notch!
Definitely. Quite a noticeable improvement over many other movies.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
I didn’t read the book. But I thought the ending was top dog mate nicely done with Selene and our (Kate Beckinsale):) ending it with narration.

Though I cannot predict the future...
...the consequences of tonight
will reverberate through the halls......of both great covens
for many years to come.
Two Vampire elders
have been slain...
...one by my own hand.
Soon, Marcus will take the throne.
And a tide of anger and retribution
will spill out into the night.
Differences will be set aside.
Allegiances will be made.
And soon...
...I will become the hunted.

Roll the music loudly!:D

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
I must have been the only one to not be impressed by this movie then! I loved the first, and the second one had a nice history lesson about the Vamps Vs Wolves...but my goodness, don't tell me you didn't see plot outline from 1/2 mile away. The whole love story thing ended up being a sappy-crappy love fest that just didn't seem to have the badass-ness from the first one...i wish they had down played that more and just made whatsherface as cool as she was in the first one.

While I definitely want the first movie...I'm not sure if I would want the second...although it's been a while now, perhaps I should rent it to see if it is as bad as I remember it to be :(

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
I thought it was nice to have played down at least the characters can rest for awhile well no more shooting it out so to speak.

My ears are ringing after all that gunfire.:D

The levels are a lot less in loudness over the first one I also noticed with Underworld special edition that the levels where down by a few db over the first edition on region 2 DVD.

Still Underworld Evolution packs a punch with some neat mixing techniques over the three-screen and the odd LFE.1 cutting in smoothly to add different punches to the sound like when Selene faces a Russian policeman and with point-blank range shots her this comes from the centre and left and right, when she disarms him and then uses the butt of the shotgun to punch him in the chest sending him flaying backwards onto a tree that is covered via the LFE.1.

Last edited:
N

Nickthegrip

Enthusiast
Waaah?

Can we get back to the guy who thinks that Kate Beckinsale is "too thin", yet digs on the Olsen twins?

Huh? Those two need to eat a sandwich.... or ten :D .

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I never read the book. How was the first film supposed to end originally?

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Ignore this message, I thought you were talking about Underworld.

I read all the LOTR books and Simirrilion. I'm not going to jump on the hard core LOTR fan bandwagon, and bash the films.

IMO, Jackson took a set of books that were unapproachable to many and brought it to the masses. The books and Jackson's films can exist side by side. I think of Jackson's work as just a re-telling of the same basic story.

Hopefully, they'll get this Hobbit thing resolved. I would love to see Jackson's rendition of that.

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
thread hijack <=o)

As an LOTR fan, I really enjoyed the movies when they were released. I didn't believe, after decades of swill like Rankin-Bass and Ralph Bakshi adaptations, that anyone could pull off a live-action version. Jackson naturally had to edit liberally to appease the Hollywood machine, but he absolutely nailed most of the characters. Nevertheless, the movies were unsatisfying at a certain level - mostly because of what was not included.

The EE versions showed me what Jackson really wanted to show - they are a masterpiece that brings in the best of the books, while presenting a storyline that flows well in a motion picture format.

Comments like "Jackson could use a lesson in editing" must, I think, come from a perspective that lacks the background of the original story. Either the movie is a representation of the novels, or it is not. The production releases contained scenes that were non-sequitur because of omitted content that robbed them of context and importance. All done in the service of the 15-minute attention span of the typical American movie-goer.

LOTR is a massive, complex story with many sub-plots, and the movie must convey a huge back-story to provide the believable gravitas that makes Frodo's and the Fellowship's mission so important, and their suffering so moving. Jackson's extended edition (AKA original vision) achieves this goal admirably. To my mind, it currently represents the gold standard in movies of the genre.

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
mpompey said:
Ignore this message, I thought you were talking about Underworld.

I read all the LOTR books and Simirrilion. I'm not going to jump on the hard core LOTR fan bandwagon, and bash the films.

IMO, Jackson took a set of books that were unapproachable to many and brought it to the masses. The books and Jackson's films can exist side by side. I think of Jackson's work as just a re-telling of the same basic story.

Hopefully, they'll get this Hobbit thing resolved. I would love to see Jackson's rendition of that.

I want to see Jackson attempt Dune >3

Holy cow, would that rock.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
evilkat said:
I want to see Jackson attempt Dune >3
I'd love to see Dune really done well and while I think Jackson is the only guy who currently could do it, I'm a bit concerned about how it would turn out. King Kong confirmed my suspicions that he doesn't know when and how to edit things down. While Dune would undoubtedly require far more time than LoTR to really cover everything, that's probably not the best approach (what would we have? 6 three hour movies?). He'd have to find the right places to cut it down and I'm not sure he really would do a good job of that.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
A real version of Dune would absolutely rock like Kate Beckinsale in leather (or less...).
The SciFi mini-series on Dune isn't that bad. Children of Dune wasn't half bad either. Of course a lot of info is left out. But that has to happen since books are much deeper and shorter than most every movie ever made and a book->movie format will undoubtedly leave out a lot of context. Sucks, but true. And we all know this.

I don't think anything on the magnitude of LOTR will ever happen again. Very unfortunate. My students have a hard time listening to Camille Saint-Saens' "Danse Bacchanale" which is only 7 minutes long. One of the first comments after they listened to it was "Why is it soooo long? Music isn't supposed to be that long." (I teach elementary band, btw)

Back to topic:
Underworld: Evolution was very entertaining. I'll certainly end up with a set of the two movies. Makes for a good video when doing the ironing. It reminds me of just about every action movie created. Not much of a plot, but lots of action.
Can't say much about the sound since my current system is WEAK (Sony HTiB).

-pat

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Nickthegrip said:
Can we get back to the guy who thinks that Kate Beckinsale is "too thin", yet digs on the Olsen twins?

Huh? Those two need to eat a sandwich.... or ten :D .
ROTFMAO

They look skinny they look like a broomstick and a trash bag.:D

evilkat

evilkat

Senior Audioholic
emorphien said:
I'd love to see Dune really done well and while I think Jackson is the only guy who currently could do it, I'm a bit concerned about how it would turn out. King Kong confirmed my suspicions that he doesn't know when and how to edit things down. While Dune would undoubtedly require far more time than LoTR to really cover everything, that's probably not the best approach (what would we have? 6 three hour movies?). He'd have to find the right places to cut it down and I'm not sure he really would do a good job of that.
I think if they do it right, they could make a ton of movies out of the Dune series, if you include the prequels as well.

Dune as a standalone movie may not make for a great movie...there are so many intervoven threads and totally new character classes and factions (i.e Bene Gesserit, Tillalxu etc etc) a n00b maybe simply overwhelemed! Perhaps they can combine bits of the first three and Dune or change up the ordering of the books around or something.

Jackson did a good job of chopping things and changing things around in LOTR...I'm sure if he puts in the same amt of effort into Dune, he could certainly pull it off. So far, he's made the best adaptation of a book into a movie that I've ever seen.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
evilkat said:
I think if they do it right, they could make a ton of movies out of the Dune series, if you include the prequels as well.

Dune as a standalone movie may not make for a great movie...there are so many intervoven threads and totally new character classes and factions (i.e Bene Gesserit, Tillalxu etc etc) a n00b maybe simply overwhelemed! Perhaps they can combine bits of the first three and Dune or change up the ordering of the books around or something.

Jackson did a good job of chopping things and changing things around in LOTR...I'm sure if he puts in the same amt of effort into Dune, he could certainly pull it off. So far, he's made the best adaptation of a book into a movie that I've ever seen.
I wouldn't expect just "Dune" to be made, but at least some portion of the series. The first three books are the most well known, although the whole series of 6 plus the rest of the prequels ect could be done as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis