Understanding my RX-V663 Volume

B

bilgirami

Junior Audioholic
Hey folks, I am using Yamaha RX-V663 to drive my Axiom M-60s. This is a 90W/channel AVR. Also supports zone-2. The volume indicator on it goes from -80dB to +16dB. Can someone help me understand if this means that it is putting out 95W out at 0dB or at +16dB?
Thanks
:D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey folks, I am using Yamaha RX-V663 to drive my Axiom M-60s. This is a 90W/channel AVR. Also supports zone-2. The volume indicator on it goes from -80dB to +16dB. Can someone help me understand if this means that it is putting out 95W out at 0dB or at +16dB?
Thanks
:D
The answer is none of the above. Volume settings don't mean much as they are dependent on the voltage delivered by the source component selected and the power the speaker draws from the amp. Volume controls generally have a logarithmic taper rather than a linear one. Just set your volume at a comfortable setting and forget about trying to correlate it with power output as there is no correlation.

However what you can say is that every time you advance the volume control 3db you are doubling the average power output from the amp. Remember that power is varying drastically instant to instant, depending on the content supplied by the source. If you advance the control 10 db the perceived sound level will roughly double, that is why the taper is generally log.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Volume levels

When you do the auto calibration, most receivers set the 0dB volume level to "refrence level". This means that there will be peaks of over 100dB which is very loud by most standards. The volume in my room is pretty comfortable in the -30dB to -20dB range on my Yamaha.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
The answer is none of the above. Volume settings don't mean much as they are dependent on the voltage delivered by the source component selected and the power the speaker draws from the amp.
Add to that the fact that rated output power is often wrong. And the amount of power available changes with the number of channels active, and with how active they are, as they all use the same power supply.

T

tdamocles

Junior Audioholic
When you do the auto calibration, most receivers set the 0dB volume level to "refrence level". The volume in my room is pretty comfortable in the -30dB to -20dB range on my Yamaha.
Reference level is usually 75db @ 0db master volume. If your volume reads -20db this means you are at 55db.....

B

bilgirami

Junior Audioholic
Hey jcPanny,
How big is your room? Mine is about 2800 ft3. Depending on the type of movie I am watching, -30 to -20 dB on master volume is comfortable for me too.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Mine is about 2800 ft3. Depending on the type of movie I am watching, -30 to -20 dB on master volume is comfortable for me too.
Same here. My room is very close to the same size as yours.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Basically...the sound of static.
Weeelllllll... not technically... :)

Static is just random noise, pink noise has equal amount of energy per octave. So static could have more or less energy in the first octave than in the seventh in one moment then that condition may change the next moment, pink noise on the other hand will have the same amount of energy no what octaves you compare and no matter when they are compared.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Weeelllllll... not tecnicly... :)

Static is just random noise, pink noise has equal amount of energy per octave. So static could have more or less energy in the first octave than in the seventh, pink noise on the other hand will have the same amount of energy no what octaves you compare.
Agreed! That's why I included the link for the interested student. :)

Still...it sounds like static to me. :D

B

bilgirami

Junior Audioholic
Ok, the wiki link is french to a chemical engineer like me. In a receive or amplifier, why and where is it generated. Also is it correct that if I go above 0dB on master volume, there will be a lot of distortion?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok, the wiki link is french to a chemical engineer like me. In a receive or amplifier, why and where is it generated. Also is it correct that if I go above 0dB on master volume, there will be a lot of distortion?
Incorrect again!

The volume control has nothing to do with the power output in absolute terms. There are too many variables. The input voltage from the source will vary, even from one CD to another. The speakers you own is the other variable as they will draw power as determined by their sensitivity and impedance curve. For instance most receivers put out max power into 8 ohms. If the speaker is 4 ohm, especially in the power hungry range of between 60 and 500 Hz, then most receivers rated at 100 watts are only 50 watt receivers under those conditions.

Major distortion, clipping, will occur when the amp is asked to provide more current and or voltage into a load than it can supply. The exact position of the volume control where that occurs is impossible to predict.

A lot of receivers generate pink noise for level set and calibration.

My advice to you is to stop worrying about this, set your volume control to a comfortable level and enjoy!

However as you are a chemical engineer you must have significant understanding of concepts encompassed in the discipline of physics, other wise I fail to see how you could be a competent chemical engineer. Therefore if you want to study these and other issues in greater depth you will make faster progress than the average member, I would hope.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis