Understanding loudspeaker spec's?

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
He going to get into issues with mis-matched timbre if he doesn't change his center cannel to match the new mains.

Audition a pair of Ascend Acoustics 340s and see if that is what you are looking for sound wise. The new Seas Edition Ascends starting shipping in about 2 weeks. Your could replace everything with Ascend for your $1500.

J

jeffvee

Audioholic
sub settings

Sheep said:
When its in the LFE position its the sub will play what is being sent to it by the receiver. My sub does the same thing, but only when I plug it into the "direct in" on the sub. Basically, its bypassing the subwoofers crossover and using the one in your receiver. Use your subwoofer in this setting.

SheepStar
Hello,

The only inputs on the back of my sub are speaker in and outs and the LFE left and right.

And when I go to speaker set up for my sub , all I can do is turn the sub on or off. And after that is bass management and my options are global or independent. It is currently on Global.

Thanks

Last edited:
J

jeffvee

Audioholic
Another JBL speaker line

MacManNM said:
The real problem here is that his current towers have a 3/4" tweeter, a 4" mid, and 2 10's.

those are really bad speakers.
3/4" tweeter= distorted highs
4" mid= muddy midrange

Those 10's are stamped steel made in china bottom of the line drivers, no wonder why they sound bad. JBL should be sued for marketing those towers. And they should be ashamed that they did.
I understand what you are saying about the E 100's. The reason why I bought those is because I have special pricing though JBL, and at the time I thought it was a good buy, but I listen to a lot of music, and these just don't cut the mustard for my discerning ears. They do have a Studio Line called the L series. Below are some spec's on the L 880's(dual 6" woofers, or I could go with the L890's, dual 8" woofers. Would I gain anything by going this route, other than saving some cash?

General : Studio L series L880
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 200W
Power Handling (Continuous/Peak) 100W/400W
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91dB
Frequency Response (±3dB) 30Hz – 40kHz
Crossover Frequencies 700Hz, 5kHz, 20kHz
Ultrahigh-Frequency Driver 3/4" (19mm) Mylar® dome, cast-aluminum chassis, mounted in a
Bi-Radial® horn
High-Frequency Transducer 1" (25mm) Pure-titanium dome in JBL EOS™ waveguide, cast-aluminum chassis
Midrange Transducer 4" (100mm) PolyPlas™ cone with rubber surround, cast-aluminum chassis, HeatScape™ motor structure
Low-Frequency Transducers Dual 6" (150mm) PolyPlas™ cones with rubber surrounds, cast-aluminum chassis, HeatScape™ motor structures, Symmetrical Field Geometry™ (SFG™), oversized Kapton® voice coils, magnetic shorting rings
Magnetically Shielded Yes

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The Quart 830's are towers. You can get them with a matching center for around $1500.
What happened to the 60Hz crossover setting we had you set on. I spent a good bit of time getting your system sounding like it does, and now you go changing the settings. Using your mains with a sub is not the ideal listening those speakers were designed for. There is NO need for 2-10" woofers in the mains of a 5.1 system.

Last edited:
J

jeffvee

Audioholic
zumbo said:
The Quart 830's are towers. You can get them with a matching center for areoun $1500.
What happened to the 60Hz crossover setting we had you set on. I spent a good bit of time getting your system sounding like it does, and now you go changing the settings. Using your mains with a sub is not the ideal listening those speakers were designed for. There is NO need for 2-10" woofers in the mains of a 5.1 system.
Zumbo, I do have the mains set at 60. My centers and surrounds are at 80.
Until I get my new front mains I'm stuck where I am. I'm still trying to locate a dealer for the MB Quarts.Do you have any comments on the speakers I have listed above?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Here is my system from the "member systems" section.
Yamaha RX-V1400 ($581.50)
Adcom GFA-7605 ($809.17)
Adcom ACE-315 ($229.95)
Yamaha DVDS840 ($339.31)
Yamaha CDC645 ($206.95)
MB Quart QLS-830's front ($999.00pair)
MB Quart QLS-830's surround ($999.00pair)
MB Quart QLS-330 center ($329.00)
NHT SW-12 ($560.00)
Tara Labs cables, IXOS banana plugs & 128ft of IXOS 2.6mm 13AWG Gamma Shimmer speaker cable ($304.80)
AR cables ($34.14)
Old Sony TV (will upgrade at a later date)

You don't need a local dealer. Yawa will ship them to your door. These speakers are in a whole other class than the selling price at the moment. I am about to be in my third year with these speakers, and the only speaker I would consider an upgrade would be the B&W 804S(1999.95each). Or, any higher model from B&W. It was a toss-up between the B&W 704(1099.95each) at the time I purchased mine. The price was the selling point. A huge selling point. But, with price aside, it was a toss-up.

J

jeffvee

Audioholic
zumbo said:
Here is my system from the "member systems" section.
Yamaha RX-V1400 ($581.50)
Adcom GFA-7605 ($809.17)
Adcom ACE-315 ($229.95)
Yamaha DVDS840 ($339.31)
Yamaha CDC645 ($206.95)
MB Quart QLS-830's front ($999.00pair)
MB Quart QLS-830's surround ($999.00pair)
MB Quart QLS-330 center ($329.00)
NHT SW-12 ($560.00)
Tara Labs cables, IXOS banana plugs & 128ft of IXOS 2.6mm 13AWG Gamma Shimmer speaker cable ($304.80)
AR cables ($34.14)
Old Sony TV (will upgrade at a later date)

You don't need a local dealer. Yawa will ship them to your door. These speakers are in a whole other class than the selling price at the moment. I am about to be in my third year with these speakers, and the only speaker I would consider an upgrade would be the B&W 804S(1999.95each). Or, any higher model from B&W. It was a toss-up between the B&W 704(1099.95each) at the time I purchased mine. The price was the selling point. A huge selling point. But, with price aside, it was a toss-up.
You have some pretty hefty speakers there. What size is the room you are listening these to in? My room is 14'x20', with the short end being where I face the tv.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
20' X 30'. The rears are set at about 15' on the 30' length. The kitchen is behind the rears. It's all open. Vaulted (open beam) ceilings. No attic.

If this system were in a dedicated HT room, the sound would be phenomenal.

Last edited:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
The L880s properly set up with the L8400 should put you into a whole new ballgame. Bi-amping them with your Denon amp will add punch to the low end.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
zumbo said:
20' X 30'. The rears are set at about 15' on the 30' lenght. The kitchen is behind the rears. It's all open. Vaulted (open beam) ceilings. No attic.

If this system were in a dedicated HT room, the sound would be phenomenal.
Wow, thats quite a dawnting room. Must be hard ot get decent bass in a room that big plus it having openings.

SheepStar

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have the sub in the front left corner. It's the best performance I could get out of it. If you stand in the back right corner on the 30' length 15' behind the right surround, you will find the bass. And tons of it. Thats how I know this system would be tons better in some of the dedicated listening rooms on here.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
zumbo said:
I have the sub in the front left corner. It's the best performance I could get out of it. If you stand in the back right corner on the 30' length 15' behind the right surround, you will find the bass. And tons of it. Thats how I know this system would be tons better in some of the dedicated listening rooms on here.
Have you tired having the TV face down the 30 foot rather then the 20? I had my system set up on the long wall and the bass was gone(had no wall behind me though). Once I moved the system around so its going length wise the bass was way better, and less localized.

I had a wall put in and tried it out in the old layout, and it still didn't help.

SheepStar

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Sheep said:
Have you tired having the TV face down the 30 foot rather then the 20? I had my system set up on the long wall and the bass was gone(had no wall behind me though). Once I moved the system around so its going length wise the bass was way better, and less localized.

I had a wall put in and tried it out in the old layout, and it still didn't help.

SheepStar
It is in the corner of the 20' wall facing diagonally across the 30' length. I started out with the system on the 30' wall, but it sounds better the other way. Once I moved it, I tried the sub to the left of my rack & tv stand between the mains. Then I tried it in the corner. That was the ticket. I do plan on hanging some kind of retracting curtain on the center beam of my ceiling which is in line with my surrounds. The idea is to wall off the living area while system is in use. This should put a great deal of my sound back in the living area & out of the kitchen. Just an Idea.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
zumbo said:
There is NO need for 2-10" woofers in the mains of a 5.1 system.

That is an absurd statement. Woofer size has nothing to do with anything. It's all about the quality and design of the loudspeaker, and its interactions with the room. Now when your drivers get too small, and cannot create SPL at lower frequencies, then it is about woofer size.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
zumbo said:
It is in the corner of the 20' wall facing diagonally across the 30' length. I started out with the system on the 30' wall, but it sounds better the other way. Once I moved it, I tried the sub to the left of my rack & tv stand between the mains. Then I tried it in the corner. That was the ticket. I do plan on hanging some kind of retracting curtain on the center beam of my ceiling which is in line with my surrounds. The idea is to wall off the living area while system is in use. This should put a great deal of my sound back in the living area & out of the kitchen. Just an Idea.
Oh its a corner setup? I personally think these are the worst setups for bass and surround. Its only good for bass if you use 2 subwoofers, and surround if you use in ceiling speakers.

Try it so the TV in on the short wall (If possible) and I am willing ot say the bass response with be much better.

SheepStar

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbo
There is NO need for 2-10" woofers in the mains of a 5.1 system

MacManNM said:
That is an absurd statement. Woofer size has nothing to do with anything. It's all about the quality and design of the loudspeaker, and its interactions with the room. Now when your drivers get too small, and cannot create SPL at lower frequencies, then it is about woofer size.
It's just my opinion. I have never used a 10" woofer, or two, or in this case four, for a midrange. Do you think it's a good idea to use 10" woofers for mids?:confused:

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Sheep said:
Oh its a corner setup? I personally think these are the worst setups for bass and surround. Its only good for bass if you use 2 subwoofers, and surround if you use in ceiling speakers.

Try it so the TV in on the short wall (If possible) and I am willing ot say the bass response with be much better.

SheepStar
Not sure I understand. The tv & sub are on the short wall. I have tried both walls. I have "crawled for bass". The corner is where I get the best response and the best blend with the mains. Once I find the particular curtain I am looking for, I will "crawl for bass" again.:)

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
zumbo said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbo
There is NO need for 2-10" woofers in the mains of a 5.1 system

It's just my opinion. I have never used a 10" woofer, or two, or in this case four, for a midrange. Do you think it's a good idea to use 10" woofers for mids?:confused:

If the design is sound, then there is no reason why 10s can't be used. Look at the Klipsch RF-7's those are outstanding loudspeakers (at their price point).

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
MacManNM said:
If the design is sound, then there is no reason why 10s can't be used. Look at the Klipsch RF-7's those are outstanding loudspeakers (at their price point).
I auditioned them with Denon while looking for speakers. I thought they were awful in stereo & HT.(no offense) The 15's & 25's were better at HT, but not so good at stereo either. The fact is, there are just too many great speaker choices to end up with Klipsch Reference. Lets hope the new ones are much better.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
zumbo said:
I auditioned them with Denon while looking for speakers. I thought they were awful in stereo & HT.(no offense) The 15's & 25's were better at HT, but not so good at stereo either. The fact is, there are just too many great speaker choices to end up with Klipsch Reference. Lets hope the new ones are much better.

I guess it depends a bit on the music you like and the type of listening you do. What were you listening to?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis