Understanding loudspeaker spec's?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
During the audition, it was an Eric Clapton dvd. I have heard this dvd on other systems, and it's clean. The audio tracks were Natalie Merchant. Pretty clean also.

The truth be known, I had ordered Klipsch from brandnames and never received them. I canceled the order. After I canceled the order, I auditioned B&W and Monitor Audio. This opened my eyes (and ears). Speakers have come a long way since the huge boxes of days gone by. It just don't take huge drivers to get quality sound. Heck, to my ears, the smaller drivers sound better. Even in the Klipsch Reference line.:)

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
zumbo said:
During the audition, it was an Eric Clapton dvd. I have heard this dvd on other systems, and it's clean.

The truth be known, I had ordered Klipsch from brandnames and never received them. I canceled the order. After I canceled the order, I auditioned B&W and Monitor Audio. This opened my eyes (and ears). Speakers have come a long way since the huge boxes of days gone by. It just don't take huge drivers to get quality sound. Heck, to my ears, the smaller drivers sound better. Even in the Klipsch Reference line.:)
I guess we have to agree to disagree. I listened to them in pure 2 ch mode ( I hate using a sub for 2ch music) and loved them. Thought everything else they had was junk compared to them.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
MacManNM said:
I guess we have to agree to disagree. I listened to them in pure 2 ch mode ( I hate using a sub for 2ch music) and loved them. Thought everything else they had was junk compared to them.
I felt the same way about not using my sub for 2-channel music. But, one day I was having a similar discussion with someone here, and they insisted once I found the correct placement for my sub and the correct calibration for my system, I would change my mind. I did. I never turn my sub off. The bass sounds as if it's coming from my mains. (And, I was determined in my discussion.)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The JBL's have a 4 inch midrange, and the 10's get crossed out at 1000Hz.

I like the design, but the crossover points are absurd for 10s and a dedicated mid. It should be 200Hz and maybe 2500Hz for the mid.

Zumbo:

I'm sorry I read your post wrong. I though you said your TV is in the corner. And I also think the Short was is the best wall for the subwoofer and TV to be on(in a single subwoofer setup).

SheepStar

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
zumbo said:
I felt the same way about not using my sub for 2-channel music. But, one day I was having a similar discussion with someone here, and they insisted once I found the correct placement for my sub and the correct calibration for my system, I would change my mind. I did. I never turn my sub off. And, I was determined in my discussion.

The music I listen to has no content under 34Hz, my mains easily play flat to 28.

I believe with inferior loudspeakers a sub is needed for 2ch. Now HT, that is totally different.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Sheep said:
The JBL's have a 4 inch midrange, and the 10's get crossed out at 1000Hz.

I like the design, but hte cross over points are absurd for 10s and a dedicated mid. It should be 200Hz and maybe 2500Hz for the mid.

Zumbo:

I'm sorry I read your post wrong. I though you said your TV is in the corner. And I also think the Short was is the best wall for the subwoofer and TV to be on(in a single subwoofer setup).

SheepStar
Dangit sheep clean out your ears!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
MacManNM said:
The music I listen to has no content under 34Hz, my mains easily play flat to 28.

I believe with inferior loudspeakers a sub is needed for 2ch. Now HT, that is totally different.
Let me be clear. If my system were 2-channel, it would be tube power with B&W 801's. But, like most on here, we are stuck with the HT serving both purposes. And in HT, I feel there is no need for the mains to have speakers larger than 7". How would the timbre match the center anyway? And, with that in mind, a sub is needed.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
zumbo said:
Let me be clear. If my system were 2-channel, it would be tube power with B&W 801's. But, like most on here, we are stuck with the HT serving both purposes. And in HT, I feel there is no need for the mains to have speakers larger than 7". How would the timbre match the center anyway? And, with that in mind, a sub is needed.
I have 2 seperate systems so I do not speak of a combined setup.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
MacManNM said:
I have 2 seperate systems so I do not speak of a combined setup.

This tread is in reference to one.;)

jeffvee said:
I am in the market to upgrade my main fronts.
I have assembled a fairly inexpensive H/T with Harman Products.
The Power:H/K AVR 630 7.1 surround receiver
The Fronts :
JBL E 100'S
Center:JBL EC 35
Rear surrounds:
JBL Studio L series L810
The Punch:
Studio series L 8400 600 Watts

I am pleased with the performance of the system overall, except my main fronts. The speakers have dual 10" woofers, along with a 4" mid and a 3/4" tweeter. Impressive looking, just not impressive sounding. When playing music, the sound is bass heavy,kind of a boomy sound.I like it tight. I want it to sound good at low volumn levels. I want something that will really let you know what bass should sound like, coupled with nice mid's and highs. I listen mostly to Jazz (Diana Krall Live in Paris) fast jazz. Hard rock will be Joe Satriani, the Who, Ozzy.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Budget: Not to exceed 1500.00 pair.

Footnote: Cinema sound for this set up is outstanding.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
zumbo said:
This tread is in reference to one.;)
Timbre matching is not that much of a problem to overcome. Reguardless of the setup, 2 ch or HT, it has always been my belief that your mains should be able to play as low as possible. It is IMO stupid to have a sub crossed over above 35Hz. There are exceptions, most of these crappy 7" and smaller drivers can't do the job so you have to. You can localize bass above 40Hz. So there is every reason to have larger than 7" drivers in your towers, as a matter of fact they really should be at least 3 way loudspeakers. with a sub playing the deepest notes only. This way you have true soundstaging. This is why audio is a great hobby, everyone has their opinions and can get what they want.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
MacManNM said:
Timbre matching is not that much of a problem to overcome. Reguardless of the setup, 2 ch or HT, it has always been my belief that your mains should be able to play as low as possible. It is IMO stupid to have a sub crossed over above 35Hz. There are exceptions, most of these crappy 7" and smaller drivers can't do the job so you have to. You can localize bass above 40Hz. So there is every reason to have larger than 7" drivers in your towers, as a matter of fact they really should be at least 3 way loudspeakers. with a sub playing the deepest notes only. This way you have true soundstaging. This is why audio is a great hobby, everyone has their opinions and can get what they want.
I have 6.5" 2 & 1/2 ways. The response is 33Hz-32kHz. I have them crossed @ 60. As I stated, the bass sounds as if it's coming from the mains. If you have mains playing down to 40, and a center not, there will be a timbre problem. Even more with different brands.

Don't forget, we are talking about HT. I would love to have the funds for the 801 set-up.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis