Understanding KHZ HZ and crossover?

J

jeffvee

Audioholic
Ok, I'm sure I will be branded as a complete novice with these questions, but that's ok, because I am.

For instance when I'm shopping for loudspeakers or subwoofers, what specifications am I looking for in terms of the crossover, khz and hz. I really have no idea what these mean.:confused:

bsodmike

bsodmike

Audioholic Intern
I'd think that when you are thinking in terms of subs all frequencies below a certain frequency, the crossover frequency, are sent to the subwoofer. So lets say you set the crossover @ 80Hz, all frequencies below this will be sent to the sub.

What is a Hz? Stands for hertz, f=1/t, therefore 80Hz = 0.0125s for each period. A kHz simply means 1x10^3 Hz (that's 1 times 10 to the power 3) or 1000 Hz.

--Mike

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hz are another way of saying "Note"

The lower the Hz, the lower the note.

A subwoofer rated to go to 20Hz, will play lower then a subwoofer rated to 25Hz.

The human ear can only hear from 20Hz to 20Khz(the K means Killo, as in 1000, so 20Khz = 20000Hz).

Once subs Frequency responses go Below 20Hz, your really start to feel the bass because it is now inaudible to the ear.

All speakers should be able to play from 80Hz to 20Khz. If they can't, you should look at getting something different. Subwoofers are different. I personally say if it can't play 40Hz, its not a subwoofer. If I was you, I would look for response into the 20's in Hz.

SheepStar

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Specs are going to be close on brands that are worthy of a listen. I wouldn't get too wrapped-up in that issue. Just listen. Pick the ones that sound best to you. But, definately pick mains that can play below 80Hz. GEEZ And, certainly be sure the sub makes it to 20Hz.

J

jeffvee

Audioholic
response q's

How do I know where I should set my crossover? Should it be at 80?

Mains playing below 80hz....where does that fall in the spec's below?

The spec's for my (mains) JBL 100'S are :

Frequency response (-3db) 33hz-20khz
Crossover frequencies 1000hz-5000 hz
Do these fall in the right range?

And the spec's for my sub are:

50 hz-150 hz crossover frequency
22hz frequency response

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
33Hz for the mains. Looks good. What are they?

22Hz for the sub. It will be fine. What is it?

I would set the receiver x-over @ 60Hz.

My sub (NHT SW-12) only makes it down to 27Hz. It sounds great. Not the specs I would prefer, but I got an amazing deal paired with my Quarts.

J

jeffvee

Audioholic
speakers

My mains are JBL E 100'S

My sub is JBL L 8400 600 watts

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
One more thing. If your sub won't let you bypass it's x-over, set it to it's highest setting which looks to be 150Hz. It will only be sent frequencies below your setting in the receiver.:)

J

jeffvee

Audioholic
I'm seriously:confused: about everything now.
Bypass the sub crossover? I'm not able to make any changes to the sub ,other than something called bass manager. I'm only able to adjust the HZ settings for the Left/right, center, and surrounds.
I guess as a last resort, I could visit my audio dealer and have him draw me a picture...

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
The crossover knob or switch on the sub itself. Turn it all the way up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis