Underneath a downfiring sub

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
Is there a preference of what sort of material should be placed under a downfiring sub. Should it be on wood, tile, carpet, etc. I have long shaggy carpet, and it goes all the way to the cone of the woofer, and was also wondering if I should prop the sub up a little on something. Thanx

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
If you feel the carpet is restricting the flow of air generated from the driver's movement or restricting the movement of the driver (if the carpet could touch the driver), then yes proping the sub up with something to get the driver away from the carpet would probably be a good idea.
Brad

S

sokrman14

Audioholic
Yes, unfortunately the driver is touching the carpet, so i probably will have to think of a way to prop it up, any suggestions?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
if the subwoofer doesn't have its own base plate ... maybe you can put one under it yourself

the base plate would "mimic" a flat floor surface

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hockey pucks are a cheap easy way to do it.

SheepStar

timechaser

timechaser

Audioholic Intern
I am new a this so I might be wrong... I was under the impression that you need to have a hard reflective surface under a downfiring sub. Having a carpet (of any kind) could absorb and dampen the output of the sub (sorry I dont know technical terms here), and make is sound muddy?

You could - IMHO, use a flat piece of glass or wood with a polished surface. Hockey pucks would be a good idea if you wanted to increase the height of your sub above the base (but why would you want to do that???)... although that might introduce further distortion (maybe...)

I have a downfiring sub set on a hardwood floor - and it sounds great. The shop I demod the sub at had carpeting in the demo room, but had a metal base plate beneath the sub... which I was told was essential.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
A cheap, easy thought (my favorite kind)

Cut a piece of plywood or the like to match the footprint of the sub and place it under the sub. If it shows you might want to paint it to match the rug.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
markw said:
Cut a piece of plywood or the like to match the footprint of the sub and place it under the sub. If it shows you might want to paint it to match the rug.
Or match the finish of the sub, whichever improves WAF ;)

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Check for open stock ceramic floor tile at HD/Lowes.

Cheap, fast, attractive and in sizes to fit many smaller subs.

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
A couple of other suggestions... You could use spikes to bring the sub up higher or you could turn the sub onto its side.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
3x10^8 said:
A couple of other suggestions... You could use spikes to bring the sub up higher or you could turn the sub onto its side.
... hope he doesn't have a cat or kids...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis