Under 500 sub question SVS RSL

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Anyone have an opinion on the older SVS SB12 NSD compared to the new subs out right now like the RSL HSU etc? Don't want to spend a ton on another sub but need some good med/ large room filling sub for music. The SVS is only 400. Thoughts?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The SB12 is pretty good- for a small sub. But if you can accommodate a larger sub, you can get more performance for the price. For music, for a medium large room, in that price range, I would be looking at the Hsu VTF1 or the Premiere Acoustics PA-150. The VTF1 is a little beast in the music ranges, hitting 110 dB from 40 Hz and above in 2 port mode. The PA-150 is averaging 115 dB at 50 Hz and above, very powerful for music ranges. The RSL Speedwoofer looks to be only slightly more powerful than the SB12: RSL measurements vs SB12 measurements.

mpitogo2000

mpitogo2000

Audioholic Intern
I was looking at the same three things. Each is pretty tempting but not sure. I never heard of premiere acoustics.

SVS SB12-NSD $399 Amazon (prime free shipping)
RSL Speedwoofer 10S $399 Direct free shipping
HSU Research VTF-1 MK3 $369 + $54 shipping $423

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Medium to large room, I'd have to say VTF-1. Based on the AH rating for output at this price point that's what I'd choose, especially given that they ranked it in extension mode not output mode so you can get a bit more output at the expense of some extension (32Hz vs 23Hz) if needed. SB12 is good, but sealed is likely not to handle a larger room as well.

mpitogo2000

mpitogo2000

Audioholic Intern
@j_garcia good suggestions thanks. My room is small, 15x16. Currently with Polk DSW microPRO 3000 front right and Martin Logan Dynamo 500 left rear relative to the mail listening position. I was looking for increased low frequency extension from VTF-1 or RSL could fit the bill replacing the Dynamo.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@j_garcia good suggestions thanks. My room is small, 15x16. Currently with Polk DSW microPRO 3000 front right and Martin Logan Dynamo 500 left rear relative to the mail listening position. I was looking for increased low frequency extension from VTF-1 or RSL could fit the bill replacing the Dynamo.
I would not try to blend a Dynamo 500 and Micropro 3000 with subs that will dig deeper. The problem is that the Micropro and dynamo are tuned higher, and this means below their tuning point their response is out-of-phase gibberish. What could happen is their phase battle could negate the deep frequency output of any sub that you try to pair with them, since they could possibly cancel out frequencies below the highest tuning point of any of the subs in your system. In other words, low frequencies will turn into a big mess, and you will lose the extension advantage of any of the subs that dig deeper.

My advice is to sell the Polk and ML Dynamo, and get any of the ported subs from this recent Audioholics article. Any of those subs will dig a lot deeper than any of the subs mentioned in this thread so far, and they will be more powerful and much cleaner sounding.

mpitogo2000

mpitogo2000

Audioholic Intern
@shadyJ really? I thought dual subs are recommended over a single larger sub. My issue is with size. Both are relatively small and fit perfectly but can help each other. The polk can go low but not high output. The Dynamo can help add more headroom. A single sub which can go deeper with more headroom can be just as bad if room placement is not optimal.

I have the system calibrated with Audessy MultiEQ xt32 in a dual sub configuration, which should help with the phase and time delay ... or I thought it should.

I am auditioning the new SVS Ultra 16 series to figure out which direction to go.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you wanted extension, one of those larger subs will have quite a bit more than two of these less expensive subs. What dual subwoofers can do is give you a smoother frequency response, if they are well placed. Personally I would say a smoother response is more important to sound quality.

Audyssey XT32 can help with phase but only within the subwoofers intended frequency band. The Polk and Dynamo do not have very wide bands, and neither dig very deep. Below their tuning points, Audyssey can not help them. If you are interested in a deeper digging system, get rid of those subs; they will only hurt, they can not help.

The SVS Ultra 16 subs are a completely different animal than any of the subs mentioned here. I am not sure how they fit into this discussion.

mpitogo2000

mpitogo2000

Audioholic Intern
SVS audition is mainly for exploring infrasonic depth. Deepest sub I've heard is Bag End's InfraSub 18. I've read about other subs like JL audio.

So HSU VTF-2 instead of dual?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
SVS audition is mainly for exploring infrasonic depth. Deepest sub I've heard is Bag End's InfraSub 18. I've read about other subs like JL audio.

So HSU VTF-2 instead of dual?
A single VTF-2 will dig deeper and have more output, but it will have a rockier frequency response than a system with two (well-placed) subs. If your primary concern is extension though, it will be much superior to a pair of any of these $400 subs. It does dig down to a solid 18 Hz, whereas these other subs tap out at 25 Hz on a good day.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Dual subs works best when they are identical, not two different ones. When you have two and one is significantly lower performing than the other, you will become limited by the lower performing one.

mpitogo2000

mpitogo2000

Audioholic Intern
Got it. I replaced the Dynamo 500 I had running for 2 years with second Polk Audio DSW microPRO 3000. While neither will really dig low on its own, two is better than one.

One thing, each sub has PRO (Polk audio Room Optimization) and the receiver does Audyssey MultiEQ XT32. Is that a bit overkill. Also when in music mode I have adyssey set to LR bypass in 2.2 but likely not changing the sub calibration right?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis