Ultimate Matrix Collection?

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
To any who have or have seen both versions -- is it worth it to "upgrade" to the Ultimate Matrix Collection? I already have the three movies plus The Animatrix on DVD (the separate releases), of course. But I've been noticing how prices on everything has been going down dramatically lately. I have the opportunity to buy the box set for $25 CDN plus tax, which is about one-third what I paid for the four separate DVDs combined.

I know that the upcoming HD-DVD/Blu-Ray verisons will be even better, but since I won't be buying the first-generation machines (and probably not even the second-generation ones), is it worth it buy the collection? I've heard that the video (but not so much the audio) on the movies has been substantially upgraded. But enough that it warrants another purchase? Any opinions?

cheers,
supervij

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
To me (I haven't seen the collection versions), no. The video is already pretty decent on the normal versions, so unless they also updated the sound, I wouldn't double dip on those guys. I don't expect to double dip for HDD/BR for many titles either, unless the new version is REALLY a big improvement. I may pick up a HD DVD player at first, but the Bluray 1st gen players look too expensive for my taste for a limited number of titles at first.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
I'd upgrade - and make sure you get the version that comes with the bust of Neo. Why? Because Neo is the greatest movie character of all time ;) .

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
alandamp said:
Because Neo is the greatest movie character of all time ;) .
And then he woke up....:D What are you talking about? Bambi could kick his punk a$$.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I finally found the article I had seen way back when: http://www.ugo.com/channels/dvd/features/ultimatematrix/default_6.asp

It talks about the dramatic difference in video quality: "The first thing that jumps out is the color correction. In terms of hues, the slightly faded greens have been dramatically enhanced to much richer color tones, and the level of detail has also been considerably improved. The whole transfer feels brighter and richer, and the overall softness of the original is now gone. Like I mentioned earlier, slight color tweaks and a reduction in softness have been brought to the Reloaded and Revolutions transfers, giving the trio of films a truly consistent and beautiful look."

The audio is considered to be pretty much the same.

I hafta admit, I'm still torn! Oooh, shiny new DVDs, prettier than my old ones and so cheap too! Ooo . . . :rolleyes:

cheers,
supervij

EDIT: And yeah, it's the one withOUT the Neo bust. I wouldn't know what the heck to do with that thing anyway. Sheesh.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis