Typical beginner question...speaker selection

A

AVMike

Enthusiast
My first post here. I recently just bought a Yamaha RX-V375(my first receiver purchase in 25 years). Receiver and speaker tech has sure leaped way ahead of me. Please help guide me with my speaker purchase. Just some background info.......Space is somewhat an issue but I can work it out if I have to, This will be my last speaker purchase for ever, I do not plan to add onto it in the future, this is a one time deal as a crowed house, children, pets and so on will not allow further expansion. I just simply want the absolute best ALL AROUND speakers (in any combo, HTIB, Bookshelfs, 5.1, 5.0, 2.1) And yes I will be listening to music as as well(CD's, MP3, Directv Music channels) I look forward to everyone's professional input, thank you in advance. My crowded house set up listed below.

-BUDGET for speakers($400.00)
-14x18 TV Room
-Yamaha RXV375
-Samsung 3D/BlueRay BD-F5900
-Samsung 55" 3D/LED Series 6

Mike

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Tough budget if you really want 5.1. Your least expensive option might be to go with Pioneer SP-BS21-LR bookshelf speakers. Newegg has them on clearance for $40/pair after rebate. $2 shipping. You could pick up 3 pairs and add a BIC or Dayton subwoofer. Not sure if that is the best bang for your buck or not. I haven't worked in that price range in a while.

I would probably look into a 2.1 system on that budget if you want better overall sound quality. Have you considered the used market? You can stretch your $ further if you are patient. Have you listened to any speaker brands you have liked to give us an idea of your tastes? If not, I would go out and do some listening to get an idea of what is available in your price range.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For $40/pr the 41s are a good choice, but the newer models sound quite a bit better IMHO, I've owned the towers from both. The problem is the newer models, the BS22LR even on sale, are twice that price at minimum.

I agree with considering a 2.1 or 3.1 setup on that budget, since funds are tight, however you could go with a current Pioneer front end - BS22LRs and a matching SP-C22 center and then pick up a pair of those BS41s for surrounds and that should come pretty close to your budget. If it is too much, leave off the surrounds.

A

AVMike

Enthusiast
Thank you for the above ideas......This is what I came up with thus far.

All from newegg

Bic V80 129.99
Pioneer BS21LR's 69.99 (30.00 mail in rebate)
Pioneer BS22LR's 129.99
Shipping 1.99
Total without rebate $331.96

OR

Martin Logan MLT2 $349.99(amazon)

What do you folks think ?? Both options within my budget and i have a few bucks left for speaker cable and bananas.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I just went to get a link for the $199 shipped amazon jamo 426 an noticed they are up to $400 now, oh well, hope a lot of people got them while they were on sale, I know I bought a set for my sister last year and she loves them, that sale may come back, Im not sure, they have been that price for a long time...

I guess now I have to go back to linking to the energy take 5 system....

A

AVMike

Enthusiast
nevermind, use the 5th one as a center channel, Thanks !!

K

kzaudiovideo

Banned
To come up with a great quality audio, consider first the area as a whole. How much volume do you need or how wide your sound should push through? Even if you have a bunch of speakers all over the place if it is not appropriately positioned, you won’t still get the best quality sound that you want.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would just go 2.0 on that budget. The compromises you have to make to stretch that out to 5.1 are excrutiating.

A

AVMike

Enthusiast
well like I said I was on a budget and only went over slightly what I supposed to(wife allowed me a few extra budget bucks) I got everything up and running, easy set up, great basic sound from some real good entry level AV equipment. Honestly I couldn't be happier. While its certainly not audioholic equipment, it works for me. Anyone on a very strict, very low budget needing some decent sounds should consider. I really am impressed with the Pioneer bookshelfs and the Mordaunt sub puts it out there, the NXG pro sats can't be beat for 70 bucks a pair. I would like to thank all that chimed in for taking the time to help me out, posting links, pics and so on. You guys did steer me in the right direction, hats off to you all. Very glad I came here for advice.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am glad that you are happy with your set-up, and the Mordaunt Short subwoofer.
Continue to enjoy.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
When selecting speakers, is it best to consider the entire square (or cubic) footage of my apartment, or just the area of the MAIN listening area?
Apartment: approx. 525 sq. feet (I'm bad at math, with 10 foot ceiling, is that 5280 cubic feet?) :confused:

Current system:
Yamaha RX-A1020 A/V receiver
Yamaha BD-S477 blu-ray player
Niles SI-2100 amplifier (for rear surround speakers only at this time)
Sony Bravia KDL50EX645 LCD TV as monitor only, I do not use it's speakers.
Toshiba DVR620KU VHS/DVD player/recorder combo.
Marantz CD5004 CD player. (you think I'm crazy to have a CD player too! I like separate players for 'movies' and 'music' :p
Marantz TT42 automatic turntable. (will probably add a better manual soon!)
Cambridge Audio Azur 651P phono pre-amp for MM/MC cartridges (I am bypassing the PHONO input on the RX-A1020)
Speakers:
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55 (L/R front) bi-amp'ed
DefTech (as above) Pro Center 1000 center channel
DefTech ProSub 800 subwoofer (connected to LFE on RX-A1020 above)
Cambridge Audio Minx Min 10's ) 4 of them, for side and rear surround, rear are powered by Niles amp )
speaker wiring: Frankenstein junk, will replace with 12 AWG from Monoprice
Motorola VIP1225 DVR cable TV box (not my choice, came with cable TV subscription)
I 'drank the Kool-Aid' and replaced power cable from Yamaha receiver with AudioQuest NRG-2 power cord.
Panamax M5300-PM (Yamaha, Marantz, Toshiba, Niles) power manager.
Panamax M4300-PM, and one Panamax ' SuperMax') (for everything else, incl. router, switches, internet)
all other interconnects are HDMI except phono (standard RCA), and I use TOSLINK from Marantz CD player to RX-A1020)

I've been told the above speaker system is JUNK, I'd be willing to upgrade. I have a couple older receivers buried in the closet and will dig them out and use above speakers instead of trashing everything! I may create a 'mini' audio museum' :p

Thanks for any constructive ideas!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I think when selecting mains, consider the distance between your intended speaker placement and the primary listening position. Unless you're 30 feet away from your front stage, bookshelfs are fine. When selecting subs, consider the cubic footage you want to pressurize.

I don't think I'd call your gear junk. How do you think it sounds? That's what's most important. I bet your subwoofer struggles to fill that much space, so an upgrade there would be well worth considering. But if you like the timbre of your LCR, keep 'em -- unless your money's just burning a hole in your pocket and you need to upgrade something.

Regarding the electronics, no reason to upgrade there unless you absolutely must have a feature your current gear doesn't offer. Better sound comes from better speakers, not from fancier gadgets.

I have to admit that I didn't completely read your list of equipment. Model numbers are great when there are only a couple to Google, but an excess of them make my brain hurt.

Is there any reason in particular you resurrected this 2014 thread rather than starting a new one of your own?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis