Two Subs 'POLK' and 'EMOTIVA'

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
Right now I'm running just a Polk Micro1000 Sub. I think the 1000 watt rating may be overrated, but it's a GREAT sub. Also, 5 Def Tech Mythos 2s. Power comes from the XPA-5 Amp. Should I add another sub? Would it be an advantage? Right now, Emotiva is having a sale on their 12 inch model. If it is a good idea, would it be best to put the larger Emotiva sub in the corner, and the Polk along the wall? Along the wall, there is a large aquarium on a wood stand, about 22" deep. Would that be considered a corner too? Or, is this one of those trial and error questions?:eek: And would the 12" sub cancel out the 8" Polk? The system is in an open area around 25' deep; living room, dining room with cathedral ceilings. Open hallway to the left, and an angled wall on the hallway side.

S

smihalik

Audioholic
To quote from the Multiple Subwoofer guide:

"If using mismatched subs, bear in mind that systems with different low frequency cutoffs may well be in phase and additive over most of their band, but at or below system resonance may well be out of phase. This can put us in the position of having the sub with a higher cut-off frequency reducing overall system output below its cutoff frequency. This is why we usually recommend using identical subs all around." In other words, both subs are only as good as the worst of the two once you get down to the really low frequency's.

When it comes to placement, the only real way to know for sure is via trial and error.

Unless you really know what you are doing I would probably avoid mix & match subs. You might be better off just selling your old one and putting that money towards a better single unit or matching duals.

son-yah-tive

son-yah-tive

Full Audioholic
What do you feel is lacking in the polk?
Good question. The Polk is fine. I just thought, maybe, with all the talk of people having dual subs on this site, I got the idea of adding one. Just wondering if it really is worth it, having two.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
well if your satisfied with the bass output of the one you have now i dont see any reason to get another one, polks new line of subs have some guts too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis