Two More Kappa's-A Build by Sawz.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I started gathering info and parts in the beginning of March,most of my questions were posted in the original sticky.I now have some new pics and will be finishing up the build so I thought I would start a thread to show all that helped me along the way,Thanks again everyone you guys are more than helpful in all aspects of HT
DSC_0463-1.jpg
Two ports.
DSC_0479-2.jpg
two ports one box one dog.
DSC_0484-1.jpg
two ports two boxes one dog.
DSC_0489-1.jpg
ports inside boxes.just click on pics for better view Thanks all.

Last edited:
sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I will try to post more pictures in a few minutes my photo bucket just crapped.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
kappaHT019.jpg

View attachment 7129

View attachment 7130

View attachment 7131

kappaHT028.jpg
I did something a little different on the bottom to give the box a more custom look the bottom will get two coats of dark brown .I installed the T-nuts for the feet with a little silicone the two boxes you see attached to the backs are for the binding posts there is a few extra inches worth of speaker wire coiled up in there I just didnt want to cut out the square needed for the post assembly I simply drilled the exact size hole for the wire and siliconed it up then added this box.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice woodworking, I can tell that you've done this kinda thing before.:)

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I also put the attached binding post boxes in a config to make it look like a pair rather than put them both on the same side of the box.I felt if I put the binding post farther away from the center to the left and right I could manage the wires more easily.It is a work in progress but I am getting there the backs of the boxes are primed because I will only paint there otherwise I need to order another sheet of laminate just to do the back.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
some more pics at the end of the same day. kappaHT032.jpg

I put the feet in just to get a look and see. View attachment 7134

I think that these will truly sound great. kappaHT030.jpg

I have the tape covering the opening as kappaHT034.jpg
it is clean inside and I want to try to keep
it like that the best I can.

Last edited:
sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
So far I have my new drivers the first order came so badly damaged that I had to get them replaced I purchased from a dealer on the west coast and although they were real nice guys and ups claimed the damage I got the shaft cause by the time it was all straight they no longer had a replacement in stock so they put my monies back in to pay pal and I bought from Hookedontronics from Fla much faster shipping and 1st rate packaging the new drivers are perfect as they should be.I have the EP 2500 and the DCX was scheduled for a monday delivery but my guess is Tue. cause of the holiday next up is to laminate set drivers and by then I should have the much needed interconnects Thanks to Chris, Matt,Andrew,and everyone else along the way it really is a great project and I know its going sound great. :D !!

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Do a nice job on those.
Don't forget; when your wife tells you she doesn't want two subs in the house, you can sell one to me.
I'll even come down and pick it up, and we can hit the Tun Tavern brew pub for lunch.
It's great when a plan comes together.:D

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I finally got some mineral wool I cut morekappas001.jpg
it to size and wrapped it in some breath-
able material.I used the spray adhesive morekappas003.jpg
shown to hold everything together wrap
like a christmas present nice and neat. morekappas004.jpg
Then I sprayed the large brace and the
back side of the wool pillow and presto morekappas005.jpg
instant bond.I had to put the material in
through the driver cutout but it wasn't View attachment 7153
really too difficult.my laminate should be
here tomorrow but the weather will not be
too good for gluing up laminate.The last pic
shows the rock/mineral wool installed in the box.

Last edited:
sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
morekappas009.jpg

This one has the wool inside the box the glue works great.

Last edited:
sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I'll get some more pics as soon as I can Thanks everyone again for all the help and input.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Do a nice job on those.
Don't forget; when your wife tells you she doesn't want two subs in the house, you can sell one to me.
I'll even come down and pick it up, and we can hit the Tun Tavern brew pub for lunch.
It's great when a plan comes together.:D
No Matter what we will get together for a few tasty beers no doubt. :D

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I'm ridiculously jealous right now.. those look phenomenal. my attempt at a sub box would probably look like something my 4 year old nephew would want posted on the fridge... :(

really nice job. Cant wait to see them finished up and hopefully get your address and vacation schedule....:D

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I'm ridiculously jealous right now.. those look phenomenal. my attempt at a sub box would probably look like something my 4 year old nephew would want posted on the fridge... :(
LOL!

Well, you have the option of the Eclipse SW8200 project. You can buy the pre-made/pre-finished cabinets from Parts Express. You only need to cut a couple of holes with a jig saw and install the driver and amplifier. It is a serious high fidelity project. The driver is of extraordinary design.

-Chris

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
You still need more wool man?
The actual wool in the box is about 4 1/4 inches thick the pics I posted just show how I made the wool pillow but its not the actual parts that I installed in my boxes,and they cover the entire large brace.I didnt have the camera outside when I made the ones in the box,so I used my leftover stuff to do some decent prop work,Hehehe ;) .

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The actual wool in the box is about 4 1/4 inches thick the pics I posted just show how I made the wool pillow but its not the actual parts that I installed in my boxes,and they cover the entire large brace.I didnt have the camera outside when I made the ones in the box,so I used my leftover stuff to do some decent prop work,Hehehe ;) .
I was just seeing if I needed to ship some out.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
You still need more wool man?
No and I am sorry that I didnt pm u I found this stuff at a commercial insulators shop he had it by the boatload just sitting all over the place 10.00 dollars for three pieces 2 x 4 x 3 inches so I took my finish hand saw after cutting to the right dimensions and shaved it right down the middle then I glued that piece to the3 inch piece with spray adhesive put a piece of 3/4 inch ply over it and two cans of paint 1/2 hour later it was one.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

really nice job. Cant wait to see them finished up and hopefully get your address and vacation schedule....:D
Building a box isn't that hard. You just need a lot of patience, thoroughness and some trial and error.

I plan to build a single kappa soon since the JL Audio 8w7 is out of reach atm. I'm hoping I can get away with 1.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis