Twisted Cable for Digital - A/V Article

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It's kind of a minimalistic article about what is going on with digital over twisted pair. The reality is that while standard cat-5 cable is definitely capable of carrying a 1080p signal about 300 feet over cat-5, you start running into major issues when you up the interference potentials. Those interference potentials, which are common within a distributed video scenario most often include multiple runs of cable side by side, or within the same conduit structure. The S/STP solution is part of what helps with this, but the real integrity comes when you use a cable which is of a much higher caliber.

Extron is recommending, and we have seen, that cat-6a STP is the cable to use if you intend to get a run over 100 feet and you want to ensure the quality of the signal on the other end.

During testing it was shown that even a standard cat-5 cable coiled up can cause enough interference to cause it's own signal to drop out at 300', while spreading the cable out reduces this interference and allows for a clear signal... Unfortunately, in a multi-cat-5 installation, you likely can't get the spacing between cables which may be necessary, and this may compromise the entire system.

That said, it can be hit or miss as to when you will run into issues, so a cat-6a solution may be overkill, but do you want to wait until after the drywall is in place to find out?

As is often the case, for those just looking for something that works, Monoprice offers pre-terminated cat-6a STP cables...

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

About 30 bucks for 100' of cable which is about the best twisted pair on the market right now.

Things that people may not know:

It is recommended that cat cabling never be terminated to a plug connector, but always to a jack connector, then use a patch cable to your device.

Patch cables are rated for 100 insertions before they should be replaced (even though they typically last longer), while the jack connectors are rated for the lifetime of a product.

Cat-6a termination is not as easy as standard cat-5, but for anyone in the industry, this will become old hat in a couple of years and for those building a home or wiring for twister pair delivery, just putting cat-6a STP in place is certainly a good way to go.

At three times the cost of cat-5, it's not exactly inexpensive, but with a HD-Base-T end point running $200+ per box, it makes sense to use decent cable.

Amazon.com: Cable Matters 1000ft Bulk Cat6a Cable SSTP Shielded Solid In-Wall Rated (CM) 600MHz 23AWG in Blue: Computers & Accessories

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
It's kind of a minimalistic article about what is going on with digital over twisted pair. The reality is that while standard cat-5 cable is definitely capable of carrying a 1080p signal about 300 feet over cat-5, you start running into major issues when you up the interference potentials. Those interference potentials, which are common within a distributed video scenario most often include multiple runs of cable side by side, or within the same conduit structure. The S/STP solution is part of what helps with this, but the real integrity comes when you use a cable which is of a much higher caliber.

Extron is recommending, and we have seen, that cat-6a STP is the cable to use if you intend to get a run over 100 feet and you want to ensure the quality of the signal on the other end.

During testing it was shown that even a standard cat-5 cable coiled up can cause enough interference to cause it's own signal to drop out at 300', while spreading the cable out reduces this interference and allows for a clear signal... Unfortunately, in a multi-cat-5 installation, you likely can't get the spacing between cables which may be necessary, and this may compromise the entire system.

That said, it can be hit or miss as to when you will run into issues, so a cat-6a solution may be overkill, but do you want to wait until after the drywall is in place to find out?

As is often the case, for those just looking for something that works, Monoprice offers pre-terminated cat-6a STP cables...

HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

About 30 bucks for 100' of cable which is about the best twisted pair on the market right now.

Things that people may not know:

It is recommended that cat cabling never be terminated to a plug connector, but always to a jack connector, then use a patch cable to your device.

Patch cables are rated for 100 insertions before they should be replaced (even though they typically last longer), while the jack connectors are rated for the lifetime of a product.

Cat-6a termination is not as easy as standard cat-5, but for anyone in the industry, this will become old hat in a couple of years and for those building a home or wiring for twister pair delivery, just putting cat-6a STP in place is certainly a good way to go.

At three times the cost of cat-5, it's not exactly inexpensive, but with a HD-Base-T end point running $200+ per box, it makes sense to use decent cable.

Amazon.com: Cable Matters 1000ft Bulk Cat6a Cable SSTP Shielded Solid In-Wall Rated (CM) 600MHz 23AWG in Blue: Computers & Accessories
I agree that the article was minimal in what it covered but the purpose it did serve was to kick start this conversation. The Pro A/V industry has always been about 10 years behind the technology curve and we, as an industry, are really starting to feel that "behind the curve" problem now. Since CISCO has started paying attention and getting more involved in A/V it has forced the industry to push faster into the twisted pair/digital market. While Extron has been supplying twisted pair components for several years now it has been relatively ahead of the curve on the use of twisted pair and now with Crestron's DM product and now AMX's ENOVA product (still having the bugs worked out) the industry now has a better solution for A/V digital control and distribution.

The article misleads the reader that stranded cable can be terminated in the field something that we do not recommend ever take place due to the reliability and longevity issues induced by field termination of that type of cable. It also suggestions that stranded cable can be run in the wall and terminated plate to plate another item that we do not recommend that ever happens due to the lack of grounding in that usage (essentially creating a big RF antenna). The article does serve to promote this type of conversation and help raise awareness of these items and point out that we need to pay attention to the cable that we use and or spec.

We should actually eliminate CAT 5 from the conversation due to the fact that CAT 5 is now obsolete. The line up is as follows:

CAT 5 - 100meg
CAT 5e - 100meg 3.5 db of ACR
CAT 6 - 200meg
CAT 6a - 500meg
CAT 7 - 900meg to 1 gig (not formally ratified)
CAT 8 - 40 gig currently underdevelopment

Gordon

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
On a more personal note - I've had great luck with standard cat-5e. When I say cat-5, it is always 5e I am referring to. Even if I don't say it.

Extron is WAY behind the curve on HDMI compared to other companies. Crestron has been doing DM for a number of years, but they've missed the mark on a few things in the past which is now getting more under control with them.

Extron is just now releasing their twisted pair matrix card frame system, long overdue compared to AMX/Crestron/PureLink, but it looks like it is close to being spot on. I'm a huge Extron fan and a Crestron programmer, so I have little issue with either at this point.

Hoping to see HD-Base-T show up on more products natively - that'll change things a lot I believe.

Gordonj

Gordonj

Full Audioholic
Extron is WAY behind the curve on HDMI compared to other companies. Crestron has been doing DM for a number of years, but they've missed the mark on a few things in the past which is now getting more under control with them.

Extron is just now releasing their twisted pair matrix card frame system, long overdue compared to AMX/Crestron/PureLink, but it looks like it is close to being spot on. I'm a huge Extron fan and a Crestron programmer, so I have little issue with either at this point.

Hoping to see HD-Base-T show up on more products natively - that'll change things a lot I believe.
Extron is indeed way behind the curve. Part of that problem was induced by Extron going direct and eliminating the independent filed reps. Each time I have ever seen that move by a manufacture they tend to loose the "edge" and they start believing their own press.

It will be interesting to see how Extron tries to counter Crestron and see how the new product line up goes. I believe though at this point Crestron is making the biggest waves. AMX is running behind and as typical for them, trying to launch a product that is not vetted and is having issues. Crestron's issue with the DM is the heat factor.....

It will be very interesting over the next year or two to see...

Gordon

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis