supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Hi all,

Forgive this simple question, but I'm thinking of buying a new TV, and I don't want to buy something that will make my DVDs look yucky. I've heard that really big TVs show lots of artifacts (I think that's what they're called) when DVDs are played on them. I know that HD images are higher resolution than DVD, but I've got almost three hundred DVDs, and I still want to watch 'em. Is there a maximum screen size I should keep in mind, or is it all about screen resolution? And if so, should I look at 720p and not 1080i? Or do I need to go lower? Oh, and it's a widescreen TV I want to be going with, if that matters. Thanks for any advice you can give!

cheers,
supervij

Last edited:
J

JP_Silver_S2k

Audioholic Intern
wait about 3 months 1080p will be out and in aboout 6 months theres gunna be blu ray which is 1080i and 1080p capable

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Viewing is all about distance. DVD looks great on a 27" TV from across the room, but when you get right up on top of the TV you will see that the DVD has artifacts. The artifacts are part of the DVD and the player you own can contribute to a loss in quality.

You don't want to hang anything on new 1080p televisions as they will likely be expensive and the first batch I highly doubt will accept 1080p input. I would never buy a 1080p television that doesn't actually accept 1080p. So, go with a 720p display.

Now, you have a lot of choices in large screen display technology, and CRT is still king if you are willing to live with the size of the set and a dimmer image. The nicer Mitsubishi sets look fantastic. DLP & LCD, in my opinion, are very close in quality, I personally would probably go with a Sony LCD set in the 50-60 inch range, but that's just me.

Plasma and flat LCD displays easily have the worst image when compared to the rear projection models. But, they also are bright enough to view in a bright room and will last for 10 years with no adjustments or problems that you will need to deal with. A TON of cool factor, and the ability to hang on your wall, so you get your room back. Not what I would consider ideal for a theater though. More a family room product.

If I were you, I would buy a TV based on the quality of the TV first. Once you own it, then you need to maximize the image quality from the DVD player to the set. If you know the set is good and DVDs don't look that good, then you may need a better DVD player. The typical issues with viewing DVDs are not that the TV is creating issues, but that the TV is so good and so big, that it shows DVD issues that always have been there.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Well, I suppose I'm in no great hurry to buy a new TV. My five year old 27 incher is still going strong -- great picture (although it is interlaced), still bright and vibrant, very black blacks, just all-around happiness for the eyes. I suppose the reason for my wanting a new one is that I've just bought the receiver, six speakers and a subwoofer, so now I've got the better audio (I was listening to everything in stereo), and now I want fantastic video to go along with it. But I've been feeling mildly overwhelmed with all the different choices and the pros and cons that go along with each: plasma, LCD, DLP, etc.

Maybe by the time I'm really ready for a new TV, 1080p will be pretty common and will have dropped in price. But if I do decide to buy any time soon, I guess it'll be a 720p. Thanks for the advice, BMXTRIX, and for the info about DVD artifacts and the large screens.

cheers,
supervij

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
Artifacts

Most store bought DVDs now are still 480p so 90% of our tvs out there are not being used to there potential. But soon enough the HD DVD discs are gonna be using 720p and 1080i and then also with BlueRay Discs coming out with 1080p you MAY want to find a tv that can support that. My suggestion would to find a good looking Rear projection or DLP if you have the space and if not a good quailty LCD if you dont. 720p and 1080i will be more then enough to play all your DVDs in your collection and if your looking to buy a TV now then your gonna save yourself a huge dollar getting the HT Standard 720p/1080i. Typically youll find a Rear projection that looks good for under 2grand a dlp for under 4 and an LCD for about the same as DLP maybe a bit more. Keep your eye out for deals and do your research on the TVs you look at, make sure they have sufficient inputs/outputs that you need and if you want the best quality out of your set i suggest getting it professionally adjusted or if you know someone who has a good background in TVs ive heard there is a DVD out there that allows you to adjust your settings manually.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I guess I should add that if I were looking for TVs now, I would buy a TV now. There is no 'next month this will be out' thing going on. The bottom line is that if you want a TV now, get a TV now, as money allows. If money is tight and you are looking for a reason not to buy, then don't buy.

But, a 50 or 60 inch DLP/LCD/CRT of decent quality will really enhance the home movie watching experience. Since I got a front projection system (about $2,000) I almost never go to the movies. It's a better seat with better sound at home... plus a pause button. The quality of today's sets are far superior than those from a few years ago, and you should not be disappointed at all with image quality on DVDs as long as you are sitting about 10-12 feet from the screen.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Hmmm . . . good points, but after thinking it over, I think I'm going to wait for a bit. I just spent over three grand Canadian on my receiver, speakers, wires and interconnects. And I ain't made of money! So many thanks for all the opinions, guys, but yeah -- I'm gonna wait.

cheers,
supervij

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis