Tv worthy of a Theater room? (Upgrading)

M

mx4lifeis350

Enthusiast
please read my theater room thread so you have a better idea what im talking about. http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=675567#post675567

I have a 40" Samsung 6 series LED HDTV. Its too small for my Theater room project. So i want to upgrade. Whats the best hdtv for about or under 3k? I was considering the 55 inch Samsung 8500 series LED.

I was looking at the 8000 series and turned on the 240hz feature (i love how it looks on 240hz) and like on my 6 series (120hz) i could see the same problem. It happens on fast action and specialy if the characters pass by a fence or theres a lot of things behind him.. it looks like... you know when on a hot day you look at your black car and you can see the heat waves? thats what it looks like around the actors.. But in the 8000 it was somewhat less of it..

Is the 8500 series also the same problem? Is there a 240hz tv that does not have this? I will rather find some other tv if all LED's have this problem.

But to the point of this thread.. Whats the best tv i can buy for my budget? in the 50+ inch area.

Also is there any projectors that will compare to these tv's and for the same budget? (including screen) .. I have never seen projectors before.. It will be used 70% PS3 gaming and 30% movies... no tv.

thanks for your help.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
First off...turn off the motion control BS that Sammy has in the video menu. All it does is make everything look unnatural.

Secondly if you want an actual TV for your dedicated room get a plasma, hands down. Thats what I just did for my "mancave" at my new house. Got a 50" for the basement and am keeping the 46" LCD for the upstairs living room as it is a very bright room and thats where the LCD shines.

M

mx4lifeis350

Enthusiast
First off...turn off the motion control BS that Sammy has in the video menu. All it does is make everything look unnatural.

Secondly if you want an actual TV for your dedicated room get a plasma, hands down. Thats what I just did for my "mancave" at my new house. Got a 50" for the basement and am keeping the 46" LCD for the upstairs living room as it is a very bright room and thats where the LCD shines.
The thing is that i like the unnatural look. But ill trade it for better picture quality. Any suggestions?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, go to a Panasonic 58" or 65" plasma display or if you can find a 60" Pioneer then you will be FAR happier with your final results.

You could wait 6-9 months and see how the 72" Vizion LCD plays out ($3,500) or you could go to a projector and actually have a theater. I will swear forever that home theater can't exist if you are still working under 80". ;) :D

M

mx4lifeis350

Enthusiast
Yes, go to a Panasonic 58" or 65" plasma display or if you can find a 60" Pioneer then you will be FAR happier with your final results.

You could wait 6-9 months and see how the 72" Vizion LCD plays out ($3,500) or you could go to a projector and actually have a theater. I will swear forever that home theater can't exist if you are still working under 80". ;) :D

well my purchase will be done in no less then 2 months from now.. I want to go the pojector route but i dont know if i can get a 1080p, good projector w screen in the 3k range. Suggestions?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
well my purchase will be done in no less then 2 months from now.. I want to go the pojector route but i dont know if i can get a 1080p, good projector w screen in the 3k range. Suggestions?
No problem. If NIB only, check out Epson 6500 or Panasonic 4000 for $2k. The greater part of the remaining 1k will be for screen (really anywhere between $300 and on up), and perhaps $200ish for a nice adjustable universal mount, and $15-50 for a good 15/25/35 ft HDMI cable.

Carada is a very good value. Focupix if you really need to shave off some dollars, but at the expense of build quality.

M

mx4lifeis350

Enthusiast
No problem. If NIB only, check out Epson 6500 or Panasonic 4000 for $2k. The greater part of the remaining 1k will be for screen (really anywhere between $300 and on up), and perhaps $200ish for a nice adjustable universal mount, and $15-50 for a good 15/25/35 ft HDMI cable.

Carada is a very good value. Focupix if you really need to shave off some dollars, but at the expense of build quality.
ok answer me this... whats NIB? and ... how does the Epson 6500 compare to say my LED tv in picture quality? I can play PS3 on projectors no problem too right?

M

mx4lifeis350

Enthusiast
ok i have been doing some research. These two sound good. Panasonic pt-ae4000u and the Epson Powerlite 8500.. im also looking at the pro cinema 9500.. what the diffrence between the 2 epsons? Anamorphic mode i think and thats it. wth is anamorphic stretch mode?

Also how do i pick a screen?

I just saw the price of the 9500 and its out of my list.. still anamorphic stretch nedded?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Anamorphic stretch is only if you intend to use a 2.35:1 screen, which I would generally not recommend.

The Epson 8500UB is at the top of my recommended list under $2,500.

The Panasonic is great at $2,000, especially if your screen is around 100".

If your room is a theater - dark walls, dark carpet, dark(ish) ceiling, then a 1.4 gain screen is a great choice. Carada Brilliant White 100" diagonal Criterion series.

Screen size should be about .66x your seating distance in width optimally. So, sitting at 10' works out to a nice 6.6' screen width - or about a 92" diagonal 16:9 screen.

Projectors are not NEARLY as bright as flat panel displays. But, unlike flat panels which are designed to be used in bright rooms, projectors require a dark room or dimly lit (not light on screen!). Some projectors, including the Panny, have a gaming mode to increase response time and lower processing. The image on screen potentially doesn't look as good in this mode, but it has less lag than using full image processing.

The processing itself is the same which is used in many televisions and displays already, including the one you already own. So, gaming results are similar.

If possible, find a store or another person in your area where you can demo a good front projection system. Quite often stores have poor systems, but sometimes they are well setup.

Chatta

Chatta

Junior Audioholic
If you want sharpness and image quality you should get a mitsubishi/sony projector, when the source is 1080p for bluray's or dvd quality is superb.

M

mx4lifeis350

Enthusiast
man this is confusing... take this into account.. custom/dedicated dark theater room and 80% of the time gaming on ps3.... Apson still sound good?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
man this is confusing... take this into account.. custom/dedicated dark theater room and 80% of the time gaming on ps3.... Apson still sound good?
Gaming? I would opt for the AE4000 from Panasonic. Your room dimensions indicate about a 10' seating distance, so a 92" diagonal will be great and the dedicated DARK room (dark paint, etc.) will pair up phenomenally with the Carada BW 92" screen.

http://www.carada.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=PROJECTION-SCREEN-H092C

About $730 shipped.

http://www.visualapex.com/Panasonic/projector-specifications.asp?for-the=PT-AE4000U

$2,000 shipped.

Add some cabling from www.monoprice.com and you are fully cabled and setup with front projection (no audio) for under $3,000 at 92".

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Funny... I actually was looking at one last night.

I find that most rear projection looks pretty good and Mits has the tech dialed in nicely. The downside is that they aren't really using super bright lamps, so at that size the image isn't in the LCD/plasma class for brightness and you have the typical falloff in brightness and image quality as you move off center which is typical for all rear projection displays.

If you are in a pretty tight viewing area (single couch, straight out) I would strongly recommend it for the price. I actually saw it and immediatley thought of this thread! But, if you really want versatility and a true home theater feel, then front projection is still the way I would recommend.

S

spartanstew

Enthusiast
I want to go the pojector route but i dont know if i can get a 1080p, good projector w screen in the 3k range. Suggestions?
Yes, you can.

Besides:

Projector= Home Theater
TV = TV Room

Which do you want?

D

Duff man

Audioholic Intern
I have a Samsung 67" DLP and it has an LED lamp (60,000 hour life) instead of a bulb. For the price nothing can touch DLP's in value per quare inch. The picture is great unless you go too far off centre, however, if most of your viewing will be in front you can't go wrong.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I did a paint on the wall screen that cost:

$70 in paints (which I still have 40oz of and would be willing to ship for cost)
$14 for measuring syringes
$60 in a Wagner CS HVLP paint sprayer
$30 in a mask
$15 in tape and masking paper

Plus a day to apply it.

I don't count the last three items since I will be using them for other items around the house.

So for $659 (cost of my PJ) and ~$35 in paint I have at 94" diagonal 16:9 Screen that rocks. So my total is $694.

Check out my build thread on my DIY screen

Last edited:
M

Mantra

Audiophyte
Go with a pioneer kuro

best display out there, you will not be disappointed ;0

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers