TV speakers suck—Set up a sound bar instead!

2thdr

Audiophyte
Soundbar setup problems

I have a Vizio TV, LG BlueRay/wireless streaming content player, Cox cable box, and Boston Acoustics soundbar with subwoofer. I have the system hooked up just as you described in your video for a basic setup. HDMI connections from TV to cable box and TV to BlueRay player. There is an optical audio cable that connects the TV to the Soundbar. I also have an HD antenna connected to the TV with a coax cable.

When listening to the system with TV speakers off and the TV input set to TV (using the HD antenna for input), the volume from the soundbar is substantial and can be increased past the point of comfortable listening (it's loud!). However, when the TV inputs are set to the cable box (HDMI1) or the BlueRay player (HDMI2), the volume is less than half of the HD broadcast volume. In fact, the volume is too low to hear dialogue well in movies and shows.

What is wrong with my system? It's like the HDMI connections are taking away volume from the optical output.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Hello,

Please contact me via pm with the following. Alternately, you could start a new thread about this problem, but please pm me the address. I don't get around the forums as much as I would like to and may not see the post:

What is the model of your Boston Acoustic soundbar?
What is the model of your TV?

It sounds like there is only one input being used on the soundbar (the optical connection from the TV to the soundbar) and that everything else is being run to the TV first. Is this the case?

For sources connected to the TV, you have a blu-ray player and cable box connected by HDMI and an OTA connected via Coax. Is this correct?

Lastly, only the antenna plays at high volumes, while the HDMI sources (blu-ray and cable box) do not. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Marshall

I have a Vizio TV, LG BlueRay/wireless streaming content player, Cox cable box, and Boston Acoustics soundbar with subwoofer. I have the system hooked up just as you described in your video for a basic setup. HDMI connections from TV to cable box and TV to BlueRay player. There is an optical audio cable that connects the TV to the Soundbar. I also have an HD antenna connected to the TV with a coax cable.

When listening to the system with TV speakers off and the TV input set to TV (using the HD antenna for input), the volume from the soundbar is substantial and can be increased past the point of comfortable listening (it's loud!). However, when the TV inputs are set to the cable box (HDMI1) or the BlueRay player (HDMI2), the volume is less than half of the HD broadcast volume. In fact, the volume is too low to hear dialogue well in movies and shows.

What is wrong with my system? It's like the HDMI connections are taking away volume from the optical output.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

2thdr

Audiophyte
Hello,

Please contact me via pm with the following. Alternately, you could start a new thread about this problem, but please pm me the address. I don't get around the forums as much as I would like to and may not see the post:

What is the model of your Boston Acoustic soundbar?
What is the model of your TV?

It sounds like there is only one input being used on the soundbar (the optical connection from the TV to the soundbar) and that everything else is being run to the TV first. Is this the case?

For sources connected to the TV, you have a blu-ray player and cable box connected by HDMI and an OTA connected via Coax. Is this correct?

Lastly, only the antenna plays at high volumes, while the HDMI sources (blu-ray and cable box) do not. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Marshall
Sent you a PM

2thdr

Audiophyte
Re: TV speakers suck—Set up a sound bar instead!

Guess it's a stumper...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
Guess it's a stumper...

lol

There may not be anything wrong.

It's possible the difference in volume level is simply because the sources each naturally have a different volume level.

First, I would determine where this volume change is occurring.

1) Is the difference still present when using the TV's built-in speakers?

2) You can determine if the TV is the culprit by listening to the soundbar when optical is connect from the TV to when it is connect directly to one of the sources devices.

Start with those two things.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Guess it's a stumper...

Your problem is, you did not provide enough information.

It may be your low output peripherals just have a low output.

Make sure your peripherals are outputting the correct mix down for your soundbar.

B

bobng

Audiophyte
sound from TV to sound bar

Hi Marshall, I got a problem with my Sharp Arqous, when I connected a Optical cable from the TV to the Samsung E450 sound bar and yes I can get sounds but then when I switched from a DVD to TV, NO sound from the sound bar. My thinking being that whatever sounds through the TV should go through the Sound Bar regardlessly ?????

Please advise as how could I still get sound from this setup. Further, the DVD is run via HDMI to the TV set, and I have to switch to the "INPUT" - DVD.

Any other settings that I should do?

Bobng

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Hi Marshall, I got a problem with my Sharp Arqous, when I connected a Optical cable from the TV to the Samsung E450 sound bar and yes I can get sounds but then when I switched from a DVD to TV, NO sound from the sound bar. My thinking being that whatever sounds through the TV should go through the Sound Bar regardlessly ?????

Please advise as how could I still get sound from this setup. Further, the DVD is run via HDMI to the TV set, and I have to switch to the "INPUT" - DVD.

Any other settings that I should do?

Bobng
Make sure your TV supports HDMI audio through. It should downsample the HDMI audio to stereo and send it to the soundbar. The DVD is a DVD and not a blu-ray, correct?

B

bobng

Audiophyte
Thank you Marshall. How do I know my TV supports HDMI, looks like it has 3 HDMI Inputs, it would support?
Sorry, the DVD is Blu-ray, would it make a different? And I made it running through my Yamaha Amp then to the TV !!??
My ignorant thinking any sound source from TV should be able to get to the sound bar. More restriction being, my sound bar has only one optical and one HDMI inputs while my DVD has no optical either.

bobng

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you Marshall. How do I know my TV supports HDMI, looks like it has 3 HDMI Inputs, it would support?
Sorry, the DVD is Blu-ray, would it make a different? And I made it running through my Yamaha Amp then to the TV !!??
My ignorant thinking any sound source from TV should be able to get to the sound bar. More restriction being, my sound bar has only one optical and one HDMI inputs while my DVD has no optical either.

bobng
You need to tell us all your model numbers. A link to the user manuals saves us a lot of time.

I'm coming to the conclusion from these posts that most sound bars are highly problematic due to DRM issues and differences in what and when different TVs will pass audio form the TV via the digital out.

I think people have really two options. If they want a sound bar, I think it restricts you to Yamaha, which is designed correctly.

All peripherals need to go to the sound bar via HDMI, and then the sound bar connect to the TV via HDMI. Going forward anything else I feel will be unsatisfactory.

The other alternative, is to forget sound bars and go with a receiver.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

So, am I understanding that you have it set up:

blu-ray player (via HDMI)-> Yamaha Receiver (Via HDMI)-> Sharp TV (Via Optical)-> Samsung Soundbar?

bobng

gogopogo

gogopogo

Audiophyte
I've found a simpler solution!?

I've used a simpler solution using just 3 HDMI cables! My TV digital box and Blu-ray player are both connected to my soundbar's HDMI input. The soundbar HDMI (ARC) is then connected to my TV HDMI (ARC). ARC provides a 2-way connection and reduces the number of cables needed.

Are you suggesting my system will not sound as good or work as well as your more complicated method?
:confused:

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

I've used a simpler solution using just 3 HDMI cables! My TV digital box and Blu-ray player are both connected to my soundbar's HDMI input. The soundbar HDMI (ARC) is then connected to my TV HDMI (ARC). ARC provides a 2-way connection and reduces the number of cables needed.

Are you suggesting my system will not sound as good or work as well as your more complicated method?
:confused:
No ARC will work great, but it's not a ubiquitous feature so I didn't include it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis