R

Rossww

Audioholic Intern
I'm hoping to get some help on my home system that needs some replacements. At one point, I was really up the latest technology and used this site extensively to help pick out my home theater set-up..but I'm afraid that I'm a little lost right now. To sum it up, my eight year old Pioneer Elite Plasma crapped out over the weekend and I need to replace it. I have a two part question:

1) Can someone please recommend (or point me in the right direction) on a very good quality 60" replacement for a dark room. I was looking at a few Panasonic and Samsung's that were highly rated on Cnet. My Pioneer was great and I'm afraid I'm going to lose some picture quality in a newer model.

2) I run everything through a Pioneer Elite receiver (TV, DVD, Tivo) that is about five years old (the model escapes me). Any reason why I need to upgrade my receiver as well or should the new technology on the TV's be able to run through the receiver?

Thanks in advance

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Unfortunately Pioneer stopped making plasma tvs :( - but some their know-how was passed on to Panasonic which used and improved on it.
It's hard to recommend specific model without knowing your budget, but I would be looking at Panasonic ST series like this one
Amazon.com : Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST50 60-Inch 1080p 600Hz Full HD 3D Plasma TV : Electronics

There is very little difference from 2012 model - ST50 to 2013 model ST60. I have TC-P55ST35 (2013) and very happy with it

2) If you have 4-5 HDMI ports on your avr - I'd say keep it, if not I'm afraid you might have to look to upgrade. With anything analog will be dead soon , to have fully digital path I'm afraid is must.
My current AVR is Onkyo TX-SR805 which I bought in 2007 for $700 and have no plans to replace

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis