Turntable to speaker.

U

Unregistered

I don't know if this is the right place to post, but I'm having trouble hooking up a turntable to some speakers and wondering if anyone could lend their expertise. I recently ran across an old Marantz TT-240 turntable from the 1980s a few days ago and decided to pull it out. Everything seems to work fine except the connection to the speakers (unless I'm retarded, which I most likely am).

The table has 2 banana plugs and a spade to hookup to a speaker. Now since I have no equipment in my house to hook up a spade, I've just placed in the banana plugs, but it doesn't work. I'm thinking that possibly the spade may need to be hooked up also? If not, then I'm really lost. I don't really have any "speaker" speakers, just stuff that came with my DVD player. I've tried plugging it in all possible ways and nothing works. If anyone knows about this Marantz table and can find info on if the spade needs to be connected also, please let me know! It probably does, and dammit...I'll have to go search for a speaker, but if there's an alternative route and I can use the banana plugs only, then that'd be great. I was hoping the plugs could be either banana or spade, but hmmmm... I'm probably wrong.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
the spade is most likely your ground wire. is your DVD player a combo receiver/DVD player ? the plugs you are describing as banana plugs are most likely RCA jacks. if your "DVD player" is truly a combo, then look to see if it has a "phono" setting. if it does, then there should be a spot for the ground somewhere. if it doesn't, it won't take the signal input from the record player.

there is no effective way to hook a turntable directly to a speaker, it simply doesn't have enough juice to run the speaker. there must be some kind of amplifier or receiver between the phono and the speaker...

if your dvd player is not a combo (you may want to give us more information on this), then you will have to get a receiver somewhere to plug all of them in.

U

Unregistered

K.. ignore that.

I kept digging and found an amp, so i hooked it up and plugged in my headphones and now all is well. thanks for trying to help...i didnt even know you had to have a source for the table to go thru. ah well. now i do. thanks again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis