D

davemerrick

Audiophyte
I am going to be making a road trip to listen to some tables at some of the dealers near me.

I have access to the following brands:

rega
clear audio
koetsu
oracle audio
pro-ject
vpi

I am looking at spending $1,500 - $2,000 for a table and cartridge. I will be connecting to a denon AVR 4311 which has a phono input

Looking for some advice my number one priority is sound quality

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
All of them are solid performers and none of them will have a clear advantage over the others....ie.. any of them is a good choice. It will boil downn to personal preferences at this point.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Just one caution as I don't know the 4311 TT capability. There are two types of cartridges out there, moving coil and moving magnet and one puts out a very small signal compared to the other. Make sure your 4311 can support the cartridge type.

D

davemerrick

Audiophyte
my manual states that the unit is capatible with MM cartridge an when connected to a player with a MC cartridge, use a commercially available MC head amp or step-up transformer.

Are head amps or step-up transformers expensive?
Are their advantages in choosing a MM cartridge over a MC cartridge?

thanks for the tip

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
MM (moving magnet) cartridges are the standard and work witn any receiver with a magnetic phono input. MC (moving coil) cartridges are not so common, and require a standalone phono preamp designed for them and need to be plugged into your receiver's auxillary (line level) input. I cannot find a price on step-up transformers for these. which is never a good sigh.

If I recall correctly, MC tend to be more expensive and, unlike MM cartridges, do not have user replaceable styli and need to be sent back to the manufacturer when you need a new one.

Since you are going to be auditioning, you might ask your dealer for the differences but, be aware, you're gonna pay more for a MC overall (your dealer will love you) and, IMNSHO, the difference in sound is minimal compared to the exponential increase in complexity and cost and, in my opinion, isn't worth the price difference, particularly for a starter system.

Others may disagree but that's the beauty of the internet. You get to choose the truths you wish to believe.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
MM (moving magnet) cartridges are the standard and work witn any receiver with a magnetic phono input. MC (moving coil) cartridges are not so common, and require a standalone phono preamp designed for them and need to be plugged into your receiver's auxillary (line level) input. I cannot find a price on step-up transformers for these. which is never a good sigh.

If I recall correctly, MC tend to be more expensive and, unlike MM cartridges, do not have user replaceable styli and need to be sent back to the manufacturer when you need a new one.

Since you are going to be auditioning, you might ask your dealer for the differences but, be aware, you're gonna pay more for a MC overall (your dealer will love you) and, IMNSHO, the difference in sound is minimal compared to the exponential increase in complexity and cost and, in my opinion, isn't worth the price difference, particularly for a starter system.

Others may disagree but that's the beauty of the internet. You get to choose the truths you wish to believe.
Not all MCs will require a standalone phono preamp.

My USP-1 preamp has a slider switch on the back to choose whether I'm feeding it MM or MC. I think you probably know this and were simplifying it to the info from the OP (but trying to avoid confusion for others)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
My NAD 1600 tuner/pre also has a built in MM/MC phono preamp but these are the exception rather than the rule. As I said in my post, MM carts can be counted on working on any unit with a magnetic pono input.

His receiver, however, follows "the rule" and will require either a transformer or a stand-alone preamp and that was my initial audiance.

IOW, if someone is reading this and has a magnetic phono input, they should not get their hopes up that it will work with a MC cartridge without doing some research on their own.

But, yes, there are a few "high output" MC cartridges but these also are the exception rather then the rule. How high, i dunno. One should always do te research on any partuicular unit and weigh the supposed benefits to the cost and inconveniences involved.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
my manual states that the unit is capatible with MM cartridge an when connected to a player with a MC cartridge, use a commercially available MC head amp or step-up transformer.

Are head amps or step-up transformers expensive?
Are their advantages in choosing a MM cartridge over a MC cartridge?

thanks for the tip
Not sure what the advantage may be, if any, but before you buy that additional amp check what cartridges are supplied with those tt then look around.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
If you can get a Technics 1200 for a reasonable price, I'd look at that. Performs extremely well and, also, since they stopped making it, will likely appreciate. (it already has, that's why I say, if you can get one for a decent price).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis