Tuba HT using the 15" RSS390HO-4

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Well, curiosity got the best of me and I had to build one. I've read a couple of different reviews for the Tuba HT by Bill Fitzmaurice and the conclusion is that this thing is a monster in almost every sense of the word. And since I had a week to myself while my wife was out of town, I took the opportunity to build it. There are videos showing the THT playing 121db at 22hz! Although I haven’t measured it yet, I believe it.

Currently, I have it hooked up to my EP4000 running through a DCX2496 (running the settings for my Simple12" Kappa Perfect). I will sit down and properly EQ this at a later date. The THT doesn't need an EP4000 by ANY means but it's what I have. Supposedly, 150 W is plenty. I've only listened to it for about a day so far, throwing various music and movie scenes at it, and the settings on the equipment is not ideal for the THT but nevertheless, there has been NOTHING that I have thrown at it that it hasn't taken like a champ. I have not been able to get it to distort. I have, however, found new rattles all over my house that were previously hidden. It’s just endless and there seems to be no bottom to this thing. In its current state, I think the sub gives up a little detail when listening to music but the raw output just amazing, so worth it! I think Matt34 and wormraper can back me up on this one.

It is a little on the hideous side with its size and boxy shape so if one could hide it either in the attic, crawlspace or as a strange looking bar in the back of the room, it would be ideal.

I just can't get over this thing. It’s like it just doesn’t care what it has to play, it just plays it. And to think that I’ve got $170 in the driver (which is the more expensive option) and about $70 in materials, I’m not sure you can beat it for the money (or at any price). Here are a couple of pictures of the construction and unfinished box. If you have a weak stomach, you may want to look away now, it's still just raw wood.

This is my attempt to hide this beast so the wife wouldn't notice. (it didn't work by the way, I even put a plant on it)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are some really good looking pillows. Maybe Erin can put up a build thread with a few pic's. :D

That thing's as big as the chair, dude ... and that chair ... well, it's been a good friend over the years. :)

annunaki

annunaki

How are you planning to finish this enclosure?

How does it sound? Any high pints or low points you have noticed so far?

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
That thing's as big as the chair, dude ... and that chair ... well, it's been a good friend over the years. :)

Hahaha! Look at those dweebs! Where did you dig that picture up? The teeth marks really show up on my picture. Apparently I did that when I was teething. Dad wants me to keep it around so I can take a picture with my kiddo doing the same thing. Oddly enough, he's still got the rocking chair and picture in the background.

How are you planning to finish this enclosure?

How does it sound? Any high pints or low points you have noticed so far?
I may not be finishing it at all. A friend of mine has a dedicated theater room and we might be putting it in the wall. If I do keep it, I'd like to frame it like I did my fireplace but with bigger panels.

As far as the sound goes, this is the face I made: :eek::eek::eek:. Even though the settings on the DCX2496 are for a different sub, I still think it sounds incredible. For watching movies, I love it. It just doesn't know any limits. It plays so low and with such authority, it makes me laugh. But honestly, I haven't even adjusted the delay on it.

For music though, as of right now, I think it gives up a little detail and the response is a little jagged. It doesn't give you that tactile bass that you'd expect from 2, well placed smaller subs. I'm hesitant to say anymore than that because I literally dropped this in the living room, hooked it up (turned the amp down of course) and let er' rip. And I mean RIP! Like "scared I'm going to damage my drywall" rip.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Really nice work Sean!

Of course, you now are an expert at glossy black finishes ;). But here's an idea. Take to an auto body shop and let them prime it, paint it, and polish it. They can probably do it in less than a week.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Really nice work Sean!

Of course, you now are an expert at glossy black finishes ;). But here's an idea. Take to an auto body shop and let them prime it, paint it, and polish it. They can probably do it in less than a week.
Thanks Richard. Although technically I know how to go about a glossy black finish, this thing is so big I think I'd rather punch myself in the groin until I lose consciousness.

My 10 year old sister said it looks like a dog house. Maybe I could make it look like a nice dog house like this

You have a good idea about the auto shop. Definitely something to consider. One does have to think about the fact that it is big, bulky and hard to move. Maybe something more durable like roll on bed liner :rolleyes: would work.

Matt34

Matt34

Looks good! Have you tried it with the mouth of the sub facing into the corner about 18" away. You'll get significantly more output and might smooth out the response a bit.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
Looks good! Have you tried it with the mouth of the sub facing into the corner about 18" away. You'll get significantly more output and might smooth out the response a bit.
Thanks for the advice. I haven't tried it with the mouth in the corner. I got everything set up on Sunday and listened for a while and now I'm out of town. When I get back, I'll try it out.

So why did you decide to sell yours? Too small and you needed more output? :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis