Trying to match new speakers with my 4311

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
While contemplating how to upgrade my system, I at first decided to go pure seperates. Then, while enroute to my house via UPS, I changed my mind and returned a Marantz 7005 PRE and decided to go with a Denon 4311 and an Emotica XPA 5. The XPA 5 drives my HT while the 4311 drives my other zones for 2 channel listening. As my signature suggests, I currently have the Infinity Beta series as my 5.1 speakers. I just dont like them. The sub does a so-so job of producing my lows, but nothing special. The 50 towers are real muddy in the mids and the 360 center is inaudible no matter what I do. Its embarrassing when my friend comes over to watch a movie and I proudly say, "heres my $3500-$5000 HT " and then during a dialogue scene he looks at me and asks why cant he hear or understand what theyre saying. No matter how much I move, calibrate or augment the system and speaker, I just cant get it to sound well. The center is muddled and inconsistant. With that said, Ive decided to replace my Infinity SW-12 sub with a Velodyne DD15 to get the crisp, punchy lows I crave. Now for the mains and center, at first I wanted to try B&Ws 804s. So I hooked up my GFs to see how they sounded. Not impressed. In a different room and a sub Im sure they would sound great as they did the first time I heard them with her gear. But nothing impressive with my gear. So now I thought perhaps Id try a different approach and go with Klipsch RF7II's or RF82II's. Im going tomorrow to demo them and see how they sound. Based on everything Ive read about them, they seem to be a strong candidate for my listening preferences. But, I always wondered why they dont have a dedicated mid range driver in their designs. Thats where a lot if not most of your dialogue comes from in HT or music. Lo and behold after readin many reviews and opinions on them, I ran across a review that addressed that very issue. So once again Im hesitant to pull the trigger. Granted, after tomorrow I may or may not change my mind after listening to them. Ive listened to a handful of other speakers so far and nothing outside of a few $6,000+ speakers, I wasnt impressed. My question to yall is, could you suggest a few center/front main combos that might suit my needs? My preferences are 50/50 HT/music. I want something that will deliver the clear mids and be dynamic and warm. low end is not that big of deal seeing as the Velodyne will more than enough take care of that. Im looking to spend around $900 for a center and $900-$1300 for a pair of front mains. Ill take care of the rears at a later date. Seeing as that its difficult to lug two 60 lb front mains to the HIFI store, I think Ill take my center with me to compare.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Call Audiolab and see if they can give you a great deal on a Revel system. I think the F12 for $1200/pr, C12 for $500, and M12 for $500/pr sounds good to me for the whole package.

Audiolab Stereo and Home Theater... Since 1958

Aother option is to get the KEF Q900/Q600/Q300 system for about the same price as the Revel (call Vanns, Audiolab, OneCall, Electronics Expo). Accessories4Less has the KEF, but they are B-Stock, not brand new.

See if you can audition Revel or KEF locally.

Braddock

Braddock

Junior Audioholic
I think I listened to some Revels the last time I was at my local HIFI place. I wasnt impressed. But once again, thats always so subjective. Ill give em another listen today.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Your post concerns me because, while there is obviously something wrong, I don't know how certain it is that the speakers are the entire issue. I don't know the Beta's, but am surprised that they would be so poor as you describe.

If I was in your shoes, I would do the following:

First, Disconnect the sub. Watch movies and listen to music. Obviously you won't have the low bass, but is your sound better or clearer?

Next, check all of your connections - ensure that the connectors are all of the way on and have a good "grip" on the terminals.

If that doesn't fix things get a decent pair (or front 3) of speakers into your room. Unless you are fortunate enough to have a true Hi-Fi store close by, I feel auditioning speakers in the typical Best-Buy/Frys environment is worthless. Best Buy has a return policy that will give you time to experience the speakers in your home. You'll have to get help from others to determine a good speaker sold by Best Buy (their Pioneer FS52's are good budget speakers, but I think you are looking for a very good speaker). Alternately, consider buying the Verus Grand speakers on-line from Aperion - they offer 30 day return policy and will pay the shipping both ways if you don't like them. They have been professionally reviewed with measurements here and are known to be good.
Aperion Audio Verus Grand Loudspeaker System Review | Audioholics
If the sound is still not good, you need to look at your room and possible malfunctions of your equipment.

Keep us posted as you go!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis