trying to do 7.2 with a Onkyo TX-NR656, need some help

T

Toph Bei Fong

Audiophyte
I'm new to home audio and want to try a 7.2 setup. I have the TX-NR656 and it supports 7.2. I want to confirm if all that is required is 7 speakers and 2 subwoofers correct (center, front left, front right, rear left, rear right, left surround, right surround, and both subwoofers)?

well I only have 5.1 setup as of now, and I ordered two additional speakers and another subwoofer. But when I go to the settings in the receiver, in the speaker configuration it doesn't show the option for 7.2. It has 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, and I assume atmos setups 5.1.2, 5.2.2 but no option specifying 7.2. So my question are.....

will this option become available once I connect the additional subwoofer?

and if not, will just leaving it in 7.1 be ok for this setup? Because I assume the same channel of sound would go through both subwoofers.

Like I said, I'm new to home audio and I don't know a lot about it. So any help understanding this would be appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm new to home audio and want to try a 7.2 setup. I have the TX-NR656 and it supports 7.2. I want to confirm if all that is required is 7 speakers and 2 subwoofers correct (center, front left, front right, rear left, rear right, left surround, right surround, and both subwoofers)?

well I only have 5.1 setup as of now, and I ordered two additional speakers and another subwoofer. But when I go to the settings in the receiver, in the speaker configuration it doesn't show the option for 7.2. It has 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, and I assume atmos setups 5.1.2, 5.2.2 but no option specifying 7.2. So my question are.....

will this option become available once I connect the additional subwoofer?

and if not, will just leaving it in 7.1 be ok for this setup? Because I assume the same channel of sound would go through both subwoofers.

Like I said, I'm new to home audio and I don't know a lot about it. So any help understanding this would be appreciated.
The speaker configuration may be termed 7.2 but the content only has a single, monophonic, LFE / .1 channel....

T

Toph Bei Fong

Audiophyte
The speaker configuration may be termed 7.2 but the content only has a single, monophonic, LFE / .1 channel....
So essentially I need to set the receiver to 7.1 as content is created with 1 channel in mind when it comes to the subwoofer? I think I got it.

Also, what about dolby atmos? I can't wrap my head around that. I see configuration for 5.1.2 and 5.2.2. How exactly does that work? I'm guessing content has to be created for this configuration and that would give the subwoofer an additional channel?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So essentially I need to set the receiver to 7.1 as content is created with 1 channel in mind when it comes to the subwoofer? I think I got it.

Also, what about dolby atmos? I can't wrap my head around that. I see configuration for 5.1.2 and 5.2.2. How exactly does that work? I'm guessing content has to be created for this configuration and that would give the subwoofer an additional channel?
No, there is additional content for height/ceiling speakers, but the .1 channel remains monophonic. The reasons for having multiple subs are not content related, mostly about smoothing frequency response over more seats, perhaps for additional output, increased overhead.

T

Toph Bei Fong

Audiophyte
No, there is additional content for height/ceiling speakers, but the .1 channel remains monophonic. The reasons for having multiple subs are not content related, mostly about smoothing frequency response over more seats, perhaps for additional output, increased overhead.
ah ok, I follow. As it stands there is no content created with 2 subs in mind and that channel for the time being will always be mono. Gotcha. thanks, makes this a lot easier to understand.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All your receiver does is split the signal to two rca jacks, you can add your own splitter for even more subs. Some ".2" receivers have the ability to separately set level and delay for two subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis