Trinnov's db25 benefits?

J

Jvdrock

Audiophyte
Does Trinnov's db25 connector has benefits beyond less cables? Is there an audible difference between it and XLR? can any differences in gain be adjusted in the processor? Are the benefits of using Trinnov's Amplitude amplifiers using the db25 connector outweigh the extra cost?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The db25 connectors are for convenience (less cables). Since db25 is Unbalanced cables, I don't see how it can be any better than Balanced XLR cables - likely won't hear any difference between db25 vs XLR.

You won't hear any difference between Trinnov amps and other high quality amps.

ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
They're running analog over DB-25? Interesting, that's usually a UART serial connector.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The db25 connectors are for convenience (less cables). Since db25 is Unbalanced cables, I don't see how it can be any better than Balanced XLR cables - likely won't hear any difference between db25 vs XLR.

You won't hear any difference between Trinnov amps and other high quality amps.
Actually, each 25-pin connector contains eight balanced analog channels: 8 x 3 = 24 of the 25 pins.

I spoke with Jon Herron of Trinnov and he commented that DB25s are routinely used for balanced signals in recording studios (where they started the company, and still an important part of their business). In fact, the TASCAM standard explicitly defines them as balanced. Note the G C H (Ground/Cold/Hot) designations on the pinout diagram. (Attached.)

They carry exactly the same signal as our XLR outputs.

Attachments

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Had I bought the Trinnov first, I would’ve used their amps too. Less wiring may not seem like a big deal but its a pain connecting everything and trying to make it tidy in a multi-channel system. I find it convenient to have one or two boxes with 1 or 2 connectors vs having 4 amplifiers and their associated wiring for each channel. Too late for me though… :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Had I bought the Trinnov first, I would’ve used their amps too. Less wiring may not seem like a big deal but its a pain connecting everything and trying to make it tidy in a multi-channel system. I find it convenient to have one or two boxes with 1 or 2 connectors vs having 4 amplifiers and their associated wiring for each channel. Too late for me though… :)
Well, it always seems to be the right choice at the moment. Never know what you end up with down the road. Why, you might one day sell all your amps/AVP and just get one AVR. :eek: :D

If I ever upgrade down the road, might just get an AVR and not have to worry about any cables besides the speaker cables. :D

Last edited:
flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Well, it always seems to be the right choice at the moment. Never know what you end up with down the road. Why, you might one day sell all your amps/AVP and just get one AVR. :eek: :D

If I ever upgrade down the road, might just get an AVR and not have to worry about any cables besides the speaker cables. :D
True. At this point, just don’t see an upgrade path…. All I can do is add systems to other rooms.:);)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
True. At this point, just don’t see an upgrade path…. All I can do is add systems to other rooms.:);)
Sounds exactly right - for now. But the night is still young. It’s not like you’re 75 years old or something. :D

We just cannot know what exactly the future holds. :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds exactly right - for now. But the night is still young. It’s not like you’re 75 years old or something. :D

We just cannot know what exactly the future holds. :D
Not true, I see buying more home audio in my future, hopefully distant future :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not true, I see buying more home audio in my future, hopefully distant future :)
Very likely so. Just don’t know what you’re going to buy in the future.

Odds are, most of us will be buying something in the future even if we don’t plan on it. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Man I hate all the cables , its a freaking mess even if its "neat looking" And in 4 years I will be close to 75 and the knees and just getting to that, don't give a crap attitude will take over and make it simple as possible.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Man I hate all the cables , its a freaking mess even if its "neat looking" And in 4 years I will be close to 75 and the knees and just getting to that, don't give a crap attitude will take over and make it simple as possible.
Especially when you realize that an AVR can sound just as awesome and the salient thing these days is finding and enjoying the great movie/TV/music contents. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis