Transplanted Server to new case.. Help....

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Wanted to swap cases for my server (Windows 2003), Also changed PSU, but now the motherboard won't power up. I've done everything I can think of, but maybe I've just looked at it too long.

Tried it basically empty, The HDD's come on, LEDs light up, RAM is good, reset CMOS, and the computer is no different than it was. What am I missing that might be obvious? Thanks....

This down time is not good for me...

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Wanted to swap cases for my server (Windows 2003), Also changed PSU, but now the motherboard won't power up. I've done everything I can think of, but maybe I've just looked at it too long.

Tried it basically empty, The HDD's come on, LEDs light up, RAM is good, reset CMOS, and the computer is no different than it was. What am I missing that might be obvious? Thanks....

This down time is not good for me...
is the board bowed, screwed to tight?

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Its actually not... I always screw em just right.... ;)

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Did you remember to use the standoffs from the case? Are you missing a power connector the the motherboard?

Knucklehead90

Knucklehead90

Audioholic
Try removing the MB from the case and set it on something insulating like the box it came in. Plug in the power supply and trigger it on by temporarily shorting the two pins that connect to 'power'. A small screwdriver will do. Sometimes one of the screw holes doesn't line up right and it shorts out the board to ground. You may want to install those little red insulators that come with the case hardware screws (looks like small paper washers) on the stand-offs.

If it still doesn't power up there may be other issues.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it's either the PW SW not alligned correctly or all the way in or the 24-pin + 4/6-pin power not securely all the way in.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Just an update.. .I got sick of screwing with it and installed a new MOBO... Fortunately, since I couldn't get to sysprep and didn't feel like imaging a drive, I had all the important junk on other HDD's than the OS was installed. I also made an unattended disk last time with the appropriate drivers and MSOffice slipstreamed.

Anyway, I'm good to go now I think. I wish I knew what happened. I wonder if it did keep grounding out or something. I know all the connections were good. Who knows?

Thanks for all the help. I'll probably have some questions regarding certain features and whatnot. Its intention is mostly media based.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Alright, VERY happy... except that the case is too loud. I was using freeNAS for a bit to move media around the network... Using Server2003 with the WDTVLIVE for movies is beyond fantastic, I'll be working on a better way to search for music.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis