"Transparent and Clinical" sounding floor speakers

• Thread starter TheloniousEllington
  • Start date
T

TheloniousEllington

Junior Audioholic
Hello,

What floor standing speakers have a detailed, transparent and clinical sound with a good amount of soundstage? I've owned the KEF LS50 bookshelves for the last 2.5 years. I like the sound for the price, but it always begs the question with me: What has a similar sound, but is more natural sounding with certain instruments such as saxophone, violin, electric guitar, ect... Eventually I will be upgrading my speakers, so I like to do my sleuthing in research and information in the meantime.

I have looked into the KEF R7's and R11's. Would anyone say they are a vast upgrade comparatively to the LS50's in terms of more detail, transparency, ect... and are worth the price difference, or is it more marginal? Any other speakers that you're aware of that might be similar? Thanks!

If this helps:
Technics SL1210 GR
Allnic H5500 phono
yamaha aventage rx-a1060
SVS pb1000 sub
KEF ls50

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Really that's a question only you can answer. Other people can have an opinion on what they like, which may or may-not suit your tastes or budget.
What you should be doing is auditioning as many brands of speakers as you can . Really test reports, write-up's or reviews will tell you nothing
about the sound produced and stay away from You-tube, which while some consider entertaining, never ever gives a true representation of the sound delivered

T

TheloniousEllington

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, that's a pretty good answer. I guess I'm thinking there are plenty of speakers that have a good coloration and are "smoother" sounding; then there are the opposite. I figure I'm asking which speakers are in the opposite to have an idea to audition. You're absolutely correct about auditioning and using my own ears and judgement. I think the same way about buying acoustic guitars...

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
What floor standing speakers have a detailed, transparent and clinical sound with a good amount of soundstage?
. . .
What has a similar sound, but is more natural sounding with certain instruments such as saxophone, violin, electric guitar,
. . .
Any other speakers that you're aware of that might be similar?
Not easy to audition unless you find a current owner to visit, but either the Ascend Tower w/ RAAL tweeter or Philharmonic BMR Tower may fit what you describe.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My first thought was the Philharmonic or something from Salk. Ascend works, too (I have several of theirs, but would look to Philharmonic/Salk if I were shopping again). No KEF experience, tho.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Also something I should have said about your auditioning Always take a good look at the amplification there using in the demo. The seller wants the best result he can
get. Most dealers are in business to sell there speakers, So there's little point in using an entry level amp, When a high priced amp will give a better result. If your not sure simple ask the seller to use an amp comparable with your own amp..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also something I should have said about your auditioning Always take a good look at the amplification there using in the demo. The seller wants the best result he can
get. Most dealers are in business to sell there speakers, So there's little point in using an entry level amp, When a high priced amp will give a better result. If your not sure simple ask the seller to use an amp comparable with your own amp..
How does the amp particularly play a role? A better technical result? As in measurable through the speakers? What are examples to you of an entry level amp or high priced (and is high price the only qualification?)?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I have looked into the KEF R7's and R11's. Would anyone say they are a vast upgrade comparatively to the LS50's in terms of more detail, transparency, ect... and are worth the price difference, or is it more marginal? Any other speakers that you're aware of that might be similar? Thanks!
At first, I wondered what your budget is, but the retail prices of $2,300 each for the R7 and $3,000 each for a R11 answered that.

I've heard the KEF LS50 speakers, but not the R7 or the R11. I liked the LS50 when I heard it, but I thought it's retail price made it overpriced. I compared it to a small 2-way speaker that is highly similar to the Salk SongSurround I, which now sells for $1095 per pair in black or white, or $1295 for Salk standard veneers. They're not identical sounding, but your desire for something more 'transparent and clinical' is enough to make me believe you will like the Salk.

I agree with the others above who recommended Salk or Philharmonic Audio speakers. Check these links:
https://philharmonicaudio.com/
The Philharmonic Audio BMR Tower is less expensive ($3,900 $3,700 per pair) than either of the two KEFs you mentioned, but I'd highly recommend it. It's been very highly reviewed here at AH. Also, see this entertaining & informative video made by a new BMR Tower owner as he opens his new speakers. The Phils are designed to have the best possible performance and the lowest possible prices. They are designed in the USA by Dennis Murphy, the cabinets are manufactured in China, and it all gets assembled in both Taiwan and the USA.

https://www.salksound.com/type.php?format=Floorstanding
Salk makes a large variety of excellent floor standing speakers. The same crossover designer, Dennis Murphy is responsible for most all of Salk's speakers and the Philharmonic Audio products. As such, they all share a common 'voicing'. I've owned the Salk SongTower in the past, and now have the Salk Veracity ST. I can also recommend the newer SongTower II and any of the Song 3 variations, especially the Song3 and the Song 3-A.

Salk speakers share design pedigree with Philharmonic Audio, are manufactured and assembled in the USA (Detroit area of Michigan). Salk's wood finishes, both standard and custom veneers, are among the best available anywhere. They're better than any furniture I own. (That veneer is called ropey cherry.)
1653571918081.png

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also curious if you've considered the new LS60 from KEF at all?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello,

What floor standing speakers have a detailed, transparent and clinical sound with a good amount of soundstage? I've owned the KEF LS50 bookshelves for the last 2.5 years. I like the sound for the price, but it always begs the question with me: What has a similar sound, but is more natural sounding with certain instruments such as saxophone, violin, electric guitar, ect... Eventually I will be upgrading my speakers, so I like to do my sleuthing in research and information in the meantime.

If this helps:
Technics SL1210 GR
Allnic H5500 phono
yamaha aventage rx-a1060
SVS pb1000 sub
KEF ls50
It’s a safe bet to get towers with accurate FR (+/-2dB to 3dB): KEF, Revel, RBH, Focal, PerListen, Dynaudio, NHT, and many others.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
At first, I wondered what your budget is, but the retail prices of $2,300 each for the R7 and $3,000 each for a R11 answered that.

I've heard the KEF LS50 speakers, but not the R7 or the R11. I liked the LS50 when I heard it, but I thought it's retail price made it overpriced. I compared it to a small 2-way speaker that is highly similar to the Salk SongSurround I, which now sells for $1095 per pair in black or white, or $1295 for Salk standard veneers. They're not identical sounding, but your desire for something more 'transparent and clinical' is enough to make me believe you will like the Salk.

I agree with the others above who recommended Salk or Philharmonic Audio speakers. Check these links:
The Philharmonic Audio BMR Tower is less expensive ($3,900 per pair) than either of the two KEFs you mentioned, but I'd highly recommend it. It's been very highly reviewed here at AH. Also, see this entertaining & informative video made by a new BMR Tower owner as he opens his new speakers. The Phils are designed to have the best possible performance and the lowest possible prices. They designed in the USA by Dennis Murphy, the cabinets are manufactured in China, and it all gets assembled in both Taiwan and the USA.

Salk makes a large variety of excellent floor standing speakers. The same crossover designer, Dennis Murphy is responsible for most all of Salk's speakers and the Philharmonic Audio products. As such, they all share a common 'voicing'. I've owned the Salk SongTower in the past, and now have the Salk Veracity ST. I can also recommend the newer SongTower II and any of the Song 3 variations, especially the Song3 and the Song 3-A.

Salk speakers share design pedigree with Philharmonic Audio, are manufactured and assembled in the USA (Detroit area of Michigan). Salk's wood finishes, both standard and custom veneers, are among the best available anywhere. They're better than any furniture I own. (That veneer is called ropey cherry.)
View attachment 56274
I'd just add a small detail that Salk Soundscape 8 (while outside of OP's budget) are the best speakers I've ever heard at any price point (including 100k speakers). Swerd is correct on voicing, all Salk speakers have similar voicing. Song Veracity and SongTower sound similar to Soundscapes.

Here's another finish on SS8 from an image I took back in 2012 in AH GTG:

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your not going to hear much without one.
What a lame response. Come on, explain how your magic "high end" amps are going to be a factor....let alone someone who won't be using such that uniquely sounding amp (pretty much at home particularly). So much amplifphilia out there, you seem to be firmly hooked.

T

TheloniousEllington

Junior Audioholic
It's been a busy day; Thank you all for your answers in this!

Looks like I need to check out these speakers you're posting about. Philharmonics and the Salks look great. I'm pretty sure that I don't want to go wireless with the LS60's, though I'm sure they've gotten better R&D lately with wireless (you'd sternly hope!).

Yeah, those soundscape 8's look and the way they are described, basically sounds like the one's I'd love. However, that's something I can dream about.

I'm even thinking about used, so that always helps the price range. Also, I'm going to eventually get a stereo amp separate to go out of my receiver, so that will help clean and give enough power to any new speaker (as well as my kef's right now).

One more thing: are there any companies that have similar tonal characteristics as Salk, but not as gorgeous looking and even imported?

Thanks again everyone!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Looks like I need to check out these speakers you're posting about. Philharmonics and the Salks look great. I'm pretty sure that I don't want to go wireless with the LS60's, though I'm sure they've gotten better R&D lately with wireless (you'd sternly hope!).

Yeah, those soundscape 8's look and the way they are described, basically sounds like the one's I'd love. However, that's something I can dream about.

I'm even thinking about used, so that always helps the price range. Also, I'm going to eventually get a stereo amp separate to go out of my receiver, so that will help clean and give enough power to any new speaker (as well as my kef's right now).

One more thing: are there any companies that have similar tonal characteristics as Salk, but not as gorgeous looking and even imported?

Thanks again everyone!
FWIW Dennis Murphy, who posted above about his BMRs, also designs the crossovers for Salk. Dennis' speakers have overseas production (and also available as a kit if you want too https://meniscusaudio.com/product/philharmonic-audio-bmr-speaker-kit/)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

Thanks again everyone!
The new Sierra-LX from Ascend Acoustics measures very flat. The Philharmonic BMRs also come in a largish bookshelf version.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

The Philharmonic Audio BMR Tower is less expensive ($3,900 $3,700 per pair) than either of the two KEFs you mentioned, but I'd highly recommend it. It's been very highly reviewed here at AH. Also, see this entertaining & informative video made by a new BMR Tower owner as he opens his new speakers. The Phils are designed to have the best possible performance and the lowest possible prices. They designed in the USA by Dennis Murphy, the cabinets are manufactured in China, and it all gets assembled in both Taiwan and the USA.

View attachment 56274
Gorgeous !

T

TheloniousEllington

Junior Audioholic
I'd just add a small detail that Salk Soundscape 8 (while outside of OP's budget) are the best speakers I've ever heard at any price point (including 100k speakers). Swerd is correct on voicing, all Salk speakers have similar voicing. Song Veracity and SongTower sound similar to Soundscapes.

Here's another finish on SS8 from an image I took back in 2012 in AH GTG:
Thanks for the input. The SS8 look and seem like they'd be perfect. If the Song Veracity and the Song Tower sound similar to the Soundscape in voicing, what affect do the tiers/series have on differences in sound? I see different combinations on speaker types and cabinet shapes. I'm still understanding these ideas. It's interesting to know that a voicing can be similar because of crossover precision, but why different models with the same crossovers can have different tonal characteristics and how...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis