Transient digital feedback when first turning on system

D

dockh1

Audiophyte
I think I have it narrowed down to the HDMI port of our Marant receiver receiving input from the DVR, but not sure what or if anything can be done about it.

Started a few months ago with a few pops and squeaks from the speakers when first turn on TV, receiver, and DVR. Over time, many more squeaks, pops, "digital-sounds" and now thumps from he subwoofer for at least 30 seconds, then goes away (as if something needed to warm up for a few moments). Don't get any such feedback from the PS3 (separate HDMI port), radio through the receiver, laptop input (also through another HDMI port), or if we connect the DVR directly to the TV via HDMI and bypass the receiver. Only thing I haven't done (in retrospect, now that I'm thinking about it) is try the PS3 and/or laptop in the TV's HDMI receiver port to truly isolate that port as the problem.

Anyone experience this before? Other ideas/solutions?

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue between the DVR and Marantz. Since you do get trouble free operation with some devices, I hesitantly say that the TV's HDMI input can be deemed okay.

Like you mentioned, swap the Marantz HDMI inputs around and see if the issue follows the DVR or stays with the same receiver input.

If it follows a DVR, it could be the device itself or the HDMI cable connected between the DVR and receiver. First try a DVR soft reset by unplugging its power for 5 minutes. If that doesn't work, try a new HDMI cable. If needed (and possible), try testing the DVR on a different receiver with a different cable.

If it stays fixed with a specific Marantz input, the HDMI board may be developing a fault. Try doing a hard reset before sending it in for evaluation.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis