Trading speakers Totem Forest vs B&Ws

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
Hey there,
I have the option of trading in my speakers with a local audio dealer each year where by I get to apply the purchase price of my old speakers towards new ones. I currently have B & W 704Ms for which I paid $2,200. By way of background I also have:

B & W 700 series Center Channel (would probably need to get a Totem CC if I trade)
RX-V1700 Yamaha Receiver
50 inch Pioneer Plasma (non elite)
cheap Energy Sub and surrounds (need to upgrade)
Oppo DVD player
Squeezebox

My music tastes are mostly classic rock and more specifically I'm a Deadhead - so I play a lot of live music. I also enjoy how the B & Ws sound as a part of my home theater -I like movies too.

So here's the decision. I can get Totem Forests for $2,600 which are on clearance marked down from $3,500. Apparently the reason the local dealer is discontinuing them is because they apparently don't work great for home theater speakers and the lack of a grill (which doesn't bother me). A plus for the totems is there smaller and would have a slightly better WAF since my home theater is in the family room.

For the last couple years that I've upgraded the sound difference between the speakers I was trading in and the new ones was noticeably different. Not so any more. That being said, I'd like to continue to take advantage of the trade in option and if I don't use it within the next 6 weeks I lose it. I'm just not sure what to do. They also showed me a dyna-audio speaker for around $2900 which didn't blow me away and didn't sound all that different from my B & Ws. If I go with the Totems and don't like them, the beauty would be that I could trade them within a year and get something else.

So...I'm asking for thoughts and opinions on what I should do. Let me know if you need more info.

Chris

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Stay with B & W

I would stay with the B & W. There is a good reason the B & W and Dynaudio sound similar. They both come from top rate stables. If the Totem sounds significantly different, then that is the odd man out.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I would stay with the B & W. There is a good reason the B & W and Dynaudio sound similar. They both come from top rate stables. If the Totem sounds significantly different, then that is the odd man out.
I disagree. I think the OP should make an informed decision and listen to both. Totem is also very well respected in the audio circles

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think everyone will agree that both Totem & B&W are high-end and sound great.

My only concern is matching the Totem to the B&W Center speaker. I would think that B&W704 would match better. Can you audition and return immediately instead of waiting for ONE FULL year?

But yeah, was there a difference in sound quality between the Totem & B&W?

M

mrpotto

Enthusiast
Trading in

Well - I would probably have to buy a totem center too as I realize the B & W center wouldnt go.

My testing of the speakers wasn't done very scientifically. I went to the store and heard the totems on their equipment. I didn't play specific tracks on my home rig (with the B & Ws) and go hear the same tracks on the Totems. The sales rep said I could bring my B & Ws in and test them both there. I may ask to see if I can bring the totems home and demo there instead. Can't hurt to ask.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Well - I would probably have to buy a totem center too as I realize the B & W center wouldnt go.

My testing of the speakers wasn't done very scientifically. I went to the store and heard the totems on their equipment. I didn't play specific tracks on my home rig (with the B & Ws) and go hear the same tracks on the Totems. The sales rep said I could bring my B & Ws in and test them both there. I may ask to see if I can bring the totems home and demo there instead. Can't hurt to ask.
Your spending some serious coin so I hope that the sales people and teh store will make it easier fo you. If you can wing it, try to get the totems home as that will be the environment that you'll be listening in.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
mrpotto,

that's a great deal you have going with your dealer!!!

Maybe you can tell us sometime later which Dynaudio speaker that was. I think that BW and Dynaudio make my personal favorite dynamic speakers that I have heard.

I wish I had the opportunity to hear Totem. Their good reputation precedes them. However, they are definitely known to have lower sensitivity, but there is variation of this spec within their lines. Depending on room specs, distances, you might need to consider your amplification. Perhaps not, but maybe.

If you get them in (or just at the store w/ your BWs), you probably should level match, because the Totems will most likely sound quieter for the aforementioned reason.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis