N

nemo17

Enthusiast
hi im new here... my dad bought a tr-503 i dont know how much he bought it but that's not why i'm here....

how do i hook it up to my dvd player?

i'll post a picture of both the tr-503 and my dvd player...

i'll appreciate it if you help me...

N

nemo17

Enthusiast
i'll upload the pics of the tr503... all i need is to know how to hook it up my dvd...

and by the way is that your car? love it

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I just did a quick search on the tr-503; looks like a scam item.

All the pictures in my photobucket are my toys...

N

nemo17

Enthusiast
oh lol yeah people say it is but i don't care i wasn't the one who was scammed anyway... i just want it to work coz it'll be a waste if he just keeps it in the garage... anyway, i'll upload the pics of the back of it

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
do you need to see the back of my dvd player?
Your only choice is red and white analog connection. What the heck is that thing; I thought it was an AVR but it looks like a sub.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If your DVD player has 5.1 channel outputs, you could connect it to the 5.1 channel inputs on that unit.

I second Greg - what the heck is that thing? I'm guessing that there are satellite speakers that came with it and that the sub unit controls the power, processing, and volume for the whole speaker set. (EDIT: Never mind - found it using Google.)

N

nemo17

Enthusiast
hmmm... i think my dvd player has no 5.1ch output...but i think my dad has a receiver... i'll upload the pics on here in a while...

hahaha the output things in the bottom were for the surround... and yes this sub provides the power for the whole speaker set...

N

nemo17

Enthusiast
here is the back of my dad's receiver...

full view of the back part

the left part

middle part

and the right part

how do i hook this up the dvd? the dvd player pics are coming up... hehehe

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've got some thoughts on this, but I'll wait until I see the pics for the DVD player. I want to see what type of audio outputs it has.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It looks like this is going to turn is AVR into a pre-amp and use the strange tr-503 as an amp unless I am missing something here. I would sale it to the neighbor for 50 bucks.

N

nemo17

Enthusiast
thanks so much for the help... here are the pics of my dvd player...

N

nemo17

Enthusiast
It looks like this is going to turn is AVR into a pre-amp and use the strange tr-503 as an amp unless I am missing something here. I would sale it to the neighbor for 50 bucks.
hmmm... i seriously have no idea what you just said... ^.^

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
You have the ability to power the speakers either through your dad's receiver, through your dvd-player/receiver, or through the sub module. Ahhh, choices, choices.

Neither your dad's receiver nor your dvd-player/receiver have 5.1 analog outputs. So, using your dad's receiver isn't going to get you anything, IMO.

Here's what I would try. Connect the speakers from the TR-503 directly to your dvd-player/receiver using the speaker outputs on your receiver. Next, connect an RCA cable from the subwoofer pre-out on your receiver to sub input (one of the 5.1 inputs) on the back of the TR-503 sub module. You'll need to adjust the subwoofer output level on your receiver to get the volumes lined up. You can level the volumes using internal test tones from the receiver (if it has them) or by using a set-up disc, and you can judge the volume either by ear or by using an SPL meter.

N

nemo17

Enthusiast
i see... well thanks...

but since my dvd player and my receiver are different, how do i connect my dvd player to the receiver?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
but since my dvd player and my receiver are different, how do i connect my dvd player to the receiver?
I'm recommending that you don't use your dad's receiver. The last set of pictures that you posted for your DVD player show that it's a combination DVD Player/Receiver.

Do you still want to connect the DVD Player/Receiver combo unit to your dad's receiver?

N

nemo17

Enthusiast
i see..

hmmm well yeah i think it'll be best if i connected it to the receiver...
but this'll work... still need to get a RCA cable though... dad lost it

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
hmmm well yeah i think it'll be best if i connected it to the receiver...
Fair enough. The links to the photos of your dad's receiver aren't working for me anymore, but if I recall the receiver inputs correctly, here's what I would do to accomplish your goal:

1) Connect the optical digital audio output on the DVD player/receiver combo to the optical audio input on your dad's receiver

2) Connect the TR-503 satellite speakers to your dad's receiver using the speaker outputs on his receiver (just like I suggested for your receiver)

3) Connect the sub pre-out on your dad's receiver to the TR-503 sub module using an RCA cable (just like I suggested for your receiver)

4) Set the volume levels like I was discussing earlier

For video, you can run it through your dad's receiver or just go straight to a TV.

Hope that helps.

Adam

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis