Totem Mites & Yamaha Reciever

B

Bazil

Audiophyte
Looking at purchasing a pair of Totem Mites to run off my Yamaha HTR6090receiver (120 watts x 7 @ 8 ohms, 0.04% THD), not as part of the home theater system but as a seperate zone. I've been told by a sales guy at local Audio store that he wouldn't recommend the Mites with Yamaha unless I went with larger Totems or a different receiver because the sound is a bit bright. Not sure if he's trying to upsell so I though I'd see if anyone has had any experience with combining Totem Mites and Yamaha receivers. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
How large are the woofers on those Totems? I seem to remember the Totem Mites are mighty small. :)

Yeah, you'll need a sub for those Mites. Otherwise they'll sound pretty shrill (lack of bass).

And what is impedance rating and sensitivity rating for the Mites? If they are 4 ohms and low sensitivity, you'll probably need an external amp as well.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
If the combination of Mites and a Yamaha sounds bright, it won't be because the Yamaha.

An amplifier can sound bright if its frequency response deviates appreciably from flat (as in, more than 0.1dB) in the higher frequency's, but I guarantee you that such behavior is completely absent from any mass market receiver.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
That Yammy 6090 is the same thing as the 661 and will have no problem powering the Mites. I run 4 ohm Epos through mine and does it like a champ.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
That Yammy 6090 is the same thing as the 661 and will have no problem powering the Mites. I run 4 ohm Epos through mine and does it like a champ.
The HTR-6060 is the same as the RX-V661. The closest match to the HTR-6090 would be the RX-V1800 (performance and feature wise). The appearance is completely different however.:)

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
The HTR-6060 is the same as the RX-V661. The closest match to the HTR-6090 would be the RX-V1800 (performance and feature wise). The appearance is completely different however.:)
Ohh my mistake. Then he will definitely have no problems powering those Mites. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
... I've been told by a sales guy at local Audio store that he wouldn't recommend the Mites with Yamaha unless I went with larger Totems or a different receiver because the sound is a bit bright.

Ask him what is that based on, that it will sound bright? :eek:
If he claims the Yam is a bright amp, tell him that then it is the speakers fault
not the Yam as it is neutral. :D Or, just say nothing, grin and bear it.

... Not sure if he's trying to upsell ...
Cheers
Yes, of course. :D

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
The Mites are the only bookshelves in the Totem line that use a soft dome tweeter. If anything all the other ones are going to sound brighter than the Mite. If you want to hear bright hear a pair of brand new Dreamcatchers or Rainmakers. Those suckers are a bit bright before the tweeters breaks in. I think the salesguy is full of poop. :D

B

B3Nut

Audioholic
I always get a chuckle out of people claiming that amplifiers with a ruler-flat response are "bright" or "dull" or whatever...or when people listen to different systems at different stores with wildly different loudspeakers and then claim the amplifiers sounded different. :D

If you like the Mites buy 'em, you'll be fine. If they're bright with a Yamaha they'll be just as bright with any other flat amplifier. The 6090 should have no problem driving those, especially since the Mites are 8-ohm nominal, 87dB sensitivity.

B

Bazil

Audiophyte
Thanks very much for the advice from all. Picking up the cherry mites today and stoked to listen to them at home.

It's funny how when you tell the boutique audio sales guys that you have a receiver from a big box store (which the HTR6090 is) they look at you like you like you've made a big mistake, even though they sell Yamaha as well. I picked-up the receiver on a whim while shopping for a plasma at the Future Shop boxing day sale for $599 (down from $1399) and sounds like it'll work just fine.

Thanks again.

P

phil1235

Audiophyte
How large are the woofers on those Totems? I seem to remember the Totem Mites are mighty small. :)

Yeah, you'll need a sub for those Mites. Otherwise they'll sound pretty shrill (lack of bass).

And what is impedance rating and sensitivity rating for the Mites? If they are 4 ohms and low sensitivity, you'll probably need an external amp as well.
question for furrycute

i am having a similar problem as bazil. i have a yamaha 5950 (100 watts x 7 at 8 ohms, .06% thd). i was considering raimakers. you say in your post when considering impedence and sensitivity, you might need an external amp. how do you decide if the speakers you are considering are a good match for your reciever?

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
The Mites are the only bookshelves in the Totem line that use a soft dome tweeter. If anything all the other ones are going to sound brighter than the Mite. If you want to hear bright hear a pair of brand new Dreamcatchers or Rainmakers. Those suckers are a bit bright before the tweeters breaks in. I think the salesguy is full of poop. :D
Are we still doing the "tweeter material has direct impact on sound" thing here?

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
I always get a chuckle out of people claiming that amplifiers with a ruler-flat response are "bright" or "dull" or whatever...or when people listen to different systems at different stores with wildly different loudspeakers and then claim the amplifiers sounded different. :D
"I listened to different music, on different speakers, powered by a different amplifier, in a different room; but it was the amplifier that sounded bright!"

Yep, that's made me snicker to. :D

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Are we still doing the "tweeter material has direct impact on sound" thing here?
I know it also has a lot to do with the crossover but all of the speakers I have heard with the exception of the monitor audio RS1 have had that little ting in the tweeter. But I guess it's more having to do with the crossover overemphasizing the highs a bit more.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
question for furrycute

i am having a similar problem as bazil. i have a yamaha 5950 (100 watts x 7 at 8 ohms, .06% thd). i was considering raimakers. you say in your post when considering impedence and sensitivity, you might need an external amp. how do you decide if the speakers you are considering are a good match for your reciever?

These are 8 ohm speakers. No worries here at all

Break in time: 70- 100 hours
Placement from rear wall: 1'- 4'
Placement distance apart: 3' - 12'
Frequency Response: 50 Hz - 20 kHz ± 3dB with correct positioning
Impedance: 8 ohms
Sensitivity: 87 dB/W/m. Maximum sound pressure 102 dB before dynamic compression
Minimum Power: 20 W
Maximum Power: 80 W
Crossover frequency: 3.2 kHz electrical and mechanical
Woofer: 5 1/2" granulated
Tweeter: 1" soft dome
Dimensions: 11 x 6 x 8.5" approx. side 270 x 152 x 227 mm
Volume: 5.6 litres (internal)
Weight: 4 kg (approx. 9 lbs)

Spiderant

Audiophyte
Totem Mites--Articulate and Detailed Speakers

This is my first post in this newsgroup, so my apologies in advance if I post incorrectly or breach etiquette.

I have a pair of Totem Mites in my study which I mounted approx. 6" from the ceiling on adjacent walls so that I could get good imaging from my chair in the corner of the smallish room. They replaced a pair of Mission M71s. I currently own five amps including a Yamaha AX-596. The Yamaha is a wonderful amp with lots of power and great dynamics. I normally keep the Yamaha in my living room system (also two channel--I'm not into home theater) and match it to a pair of Athena AS-B2s. When I connected the Yamaha to the Mites, the Mites, which are extremely clean and articulate, sounded amazing in my study, but initially came across as sounding a bit bright in my significantly larger living room. I used the Yamaha playing Kraftwork's Radio Activity on vinyl to break them in and they seemed to sound less tight after a couple of days. Although the Totems are definitely brighter speakers than my M71s and AS-B2s, once I took them into my study, they were neither aggressive nor grating with the Yamaha and in fact sounded very good. Yamaha makes some great amps and are probably underrated by the audiophile crowd.

I couldn't use the Yamaha in my study because it would have been overkill with the Mites. Although the Mites do like a lot of power (I also have a 15 Watt Vuum VTI-B1, basically the same unit as the Fatman iTube and the Dared MP5 without USB, which struggled with the Mites and couldn't product the low end I felt was necessary to become lost in the music), the Yamaha would have been too imposing in my little study. However, I would have considered a smaller version of the AX serious if I could have found one.

Instead, I recently purchased a Nad C315BEE which is an absolutely wonderful match with the Mites. The Nad seems a bit warmer than the Yamaha (although the Yamaha is by no means clinical sounding), yet just as resolving as the Vuum. Where the Totem Mites really benefit, however, is from the Nad's generous low end. I also have an ancient 3020 which also has Nad's characteristic warmth, but without the resolution of the C315BEE. With the Nad C315BEE, a subwoofer would definitely be overkill in my study because the Mites actually produce plenty bass for a small room. For a larger room, however, I think a subwoofer should be considered.

Enjoy your Mites. Do give them some time to break in. In addition, don't judge them until you've listened to them for at least a month or so that you have time to acclimatize to them. I've always found that it takes a bit of time to get used to a new system (it took me a long time to wean myself off of the loudness button on my earlier amps). The Mites are incredibly detailed and I haven't heard anything in their price range that will let me hear the finer nuances of music better. BTW I listen mostly to a lot of classical, some Jazz and World, and artists such as Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Frank Zappa, etc..

Keep it lit!

Roland.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Please say this wasn't a serious post.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
This is my first post in this newsgroup, so my apologies in advance if I post incorrectly or breach etiquette.

I have a pair of Totem Mites in my study which I mounted approx. 6" from the ceiling on adjacent walls so that I could get good imaging from my chair in the corner of the smallish room. They replaced a pair of Mission M71s. I currently own five amps including a Yamaha AX-596. The Yamaha is a wonderful amp with lots of power and great dynamics. I normally keep the Yamaha in my living room system (also two channel--I'm not into home theater) and match it to a pair of Athena AS-B2s. When I connected the Yamaha to the Mites, the Mites, which are extremely clean and articulate, sounded amazing in my study, but initially came across as sounding a bit bright in my significantly larger living room. I used the Yamaha playing Kraftwork's Radio Activity on vinyl to break them in and they seemed to sound less tight after a couple of days. Although the Totems are definitely brighter speakers than my M71s and AS-B2s, once I took them into my study, they were neither aggressive nor grating with the Yamaha and in fact sounded very good. Yamaha makes some great amps and are probably underrated by the audiophile crowd.

I couldn't use the Yamaha in my study because it would have been overkill with the Mites. Although the Mites do like a lot of power (I also have a 15 Watt Vuum VTI-B1, basically the same unit as the Fatman iTube and the Dared MP5 without USB, which struggled with the Mites and couldn't product the low end I felt was necessary to become lost in the music), the Yamaha would have been too imposing in my little study. However, I would have considered a smaller version of the AX serious if I could have found one.

Instead, I recently purchased a Nad C315BEE which is an absolutely wonderful match with the Mites. The Nad seems a bit warmer than the Yamaha (although the Yamaha is by no means clinical sounding), yet just as resolving as the Vuum. Where the Totem Mites really benefit, however, is from the Nad's generous low end. I also have an ancient 3020 which also has Nad's characteristic warmth, but without the resolution of the C315BEE. With the Nad C315BEE, a subwoofer would definitely be overkill in my study because the Mites actually produce plenty bass for a small room. For a larger room, however, I think a subwoofer should be considered.

Enjoy your Mites. Do give them some time to break in. In addition, don't judge them until you've listened to them for at least a month or so that you have time to acclimatize to them. I've always found that it takes a bit of time to get used to a new system (it took me a long time to wean myself off of the loudness button on my earlier amps). The Mites are incredibly detailed and I haven't heard anything in their price range that will let me hear the finer nuances of music better. BTW I listen mostly to a lot of classical, some Jazz and World, and artists such as Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Frank Zappa, etc..

Keep it lit!

Roland.
Welcome to the board, another local. Coquitlam here.

SheepStar

M

MarcoPN

Audiophyte
Hi to all,
i'm Marco from Italy!!. Searching some info for totem mite i found this forum then i see this post . I would like to ask something about Mite :)
Few days ago i purchased a 2 hand of tote mites. I use them with an a/v marantz sr5001 receiver. The totem doesn't sound, they are without musicality a plate sound and seems the sound come from a little radio...really..I can't believe that the sound of the mite is like this!!! Maybe it depends from the sr marantz a/v reciever?? Maybe it's not enough powered?? If i use the mites like the main speakers, the sound in the room is full but very very overbright without personality like a little radio!!!
Please i need some advices .......
Bye,
:)MarcoPN

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis