Totally new to surround sound systems, advice needed

O

ozil768

Audiophyte
Hey guys, first of all thank you for taking the time to read this and I will appreciate every answer as I'm a total newbie to surround systems.

My tv is lg 50PQ2000 za (think manufactured in 2009) and it has 4 hdmi ports but NO hdmi arc.

The surround system I'm thinking of buying (http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/sony-bdve4100-cek-5-1-smart-3d-blu-ray-home-cinema-system-21270244-pdt.html) only has 1 HDMI port and 1 optical audio port.

I wanted to get surround sound connected to my sky HD box (satellite) and my PS4, but how can I set up the 5.1ch so I get surround sound on both the PS4 and my sky box as it isn't arc supported and the surround system I'm thinking of buying only has one HDMI port.

I'm really confused here so thanks in advance..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If your tv doesn't have ARC capability, don't worry about the other gear having it. It doesn't provide a lot anyways (limited audio codecs can pass) and often different brand devices don't play together nicely (I disable my ARC capable stuff as ARC tends to want to use an input on the avr I don't want it to).

I wouldn't bother with the HTIB (home theater in a box) system you're considering, but your if your budget is represented by the GBP 272/USD 350 price point, that is fairly limited and the quality relatively low in terms of the electronics/speakers/sub provided. If I did have to get an HTiB Onkyo tends to put a somewhat normal avr in their sets. I don't shop HTIBs nor am I familiar with what's available on your side of the pond.

I'd look at a standard avr (audio video receiver) with the connectivity you need (multiple hdmi ports) so you can plug your sources (dvd, sat box) into the receiver then connect receiver to tv. Add a pair of L/R speakers then sub/center then surrounds as you can afford them would yield a better result in the end.

O

ozil768

Audiophyte
If your tv doesn't have ARC capability, don't worry about the other gear having it. It doesn't provide a lot anyways (limited audio codecs can pass) and often different brand devices don't play together nicely (I disable my ARC capable stuff as ARC tends to want to use an input on the avr I don't want it to).

I wouldn't bother with the HTIB (home theater in a box) system you're considering, but your if your budget is represented by the GBP 272/USD 350 price point, that is fairly limited and the quality relatively low in terms of the electronics/speakers/sub provided. If I did have to get an HTiB Onkyo tends to put a somewhat normal avr in their sets. I don't shop HTIBs nor am I familiar with what's available on your side of the pond.

I'd look at a standard avr (audio video receiver) with the connectivity you need (multiple hdmi ports) so you can plug your sources (dvd, sat box) into the receiver then connect receiver to tv. Add a pair of L/R speakers then sub/center then surrounds as you can afford them would yield a better result in the end.
Thanks for the reply, in all honesty I don't want to get too invested. Maybe just spend £400/$500 one off and just get the best I can get for that price and keep it a couple years. It's just so I enjoy movies more really. I don't mind having a system that is just okay as at the moment all I've ever had is my built in TV speakers, so I'm guessing anything will be more immersive than that.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am not sure that you fully understand what lovingtheHD is saying. It's not about spending lots of money, but spending it wisely. I'd recommend second hand or refurbished receiver and get decent pair of speakers. You'll enjoy it much more than crappy 5.1. I heard Wharfedale and Q Acoustics are good value over the yonder.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I too encourage you to head into the used equipment arena. Even if you get a small system that's 3 or 4 years old you'll be happier than a new HTIB. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To us an htib is more like a disposable item because mostly they can't be upgraded properly, whereas with well-chosen components you have a wide variety of potential. If you just don't want to think about it I'd get the best Onkyo 5.1 set I could afford.

O

ozil768

Audiophyte
I am not sure that you fully understand what lovingtheHD is saying. It's not about spending lots of money, but spending it wisely. I'd recommend second hand or refurbished receiver and get decent pair of speakers. You'll enjoy it much more than crappy 5.1. I heard Wharfedale and Q Acoustics are good value over the yonder.
Yeah I understand what you mean, I don't have much space to play with as well and them AV tuners seem really big.

This looks good for me as a starter package as it also has wireless rearless speakers which is a MASSIVE plus point for me.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/sony-bdv-n5200w-5-1-smart-3d-blu-ray-home-cinema-system-10008661-pdt.html

The only question I have now is how would I get surround sound system on both my satellite dish and PS4 as my doesn't have HDMI arc just normal hdmi ports.

Thank you for the advice I get you totally, if I do love the surround sound system even at all I will invest big later this year.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I understand what you mean, I don't have much space to play with as well and them AV tuners seem really big.

This looks good for me as a starter package as it also has wireless rearless speakers which is a MASSIVE plus point for me.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/sony-bdv-n5200w-5-1-smart-3d-blu-ray-home-cinema-system-10008661-pdt.html

The only question I have now is how would I get surround sound system on both my satellite dish and PS4 as my doesn't have HDMI arc just normal hdmi ports.

Thank you for the advice I get you totally, if I do love the surround sound system even at all I will invest big later this year.
I didn't double check you but this unit does have multiple hdmi inputs sufficient for your sources? ARC doesn't matter if you connect your sources to the receiver. ARC (audio return channel) just lets a single hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv to allow sound sources in the tv to travel back to the avr. Why are you concerned about ARC?

O

ozil768

Audiophyte
I didn't double check you but this unit does have multiple hdmi inputs sufficient for your sources? ARC doesn't matter if you connect your sources to the receiver. ARC (audio return channel) just lets a single hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv to allow sound sources in the tv to travel back to the avr. Why are you concerned about ARC?
I haven't bought it yet but these are the specs from the home cinema system:
AV inputs - HDMI x 1
- Optical x 1
AV outputs
HDMI x 2

Ah I think I get you, I apologise I've learnt all I know about home cinema systems in the last 24 hours. So am I right in saying I have to put a HDMI wire from the back of Sony home theatre box into my TV and then my PS4 and satellite box into the Sony theatre box av output bit and then both my PS4 and satellite wil come through all the speakers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
AV inputs - HDMI x 1
- Optical x 1
AV outputs
HDMI x 2

Ah I think I get you, I apologise I've learnt all I know about home cinema systems in the last 24 hours. So am I right in saying I have to put a HDMI wire from the back of Sony home theatre box into my TV and then my PS4 and satellite box into the Sony theatre box av output bit and then both my PS4 and satellite wil come through all the speakers?
If it has only one hdmi input no....you need at least two. Off to look at specs of your gear....it has no hdmi inputs....just an output. Limited connectivity and flexibility is what you get with these bare bones inexpensive systems, sorry. This one looks better to me https://www.amazon.co.uk/ONKYO-Channel-Cinema-Receiver-Speaker/dp/B01H3WLBPA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1498110022&sr=1-1&keywords=onkyo+5.1

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
AV inputs - HDMI x 1
- Optical x 1
AV outputs
HDMI x 2

Do not buy that system. It is total junk and money down the drain. You would be far better off with only two speakers rather than that POS. If you got two years out of it you would be very lucky.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Buy this junk today, throw it away later. Buy new more expensive system later. Somehow this doesn't seem like a good plan to me.
Don't worry about ARC, avr size or wireless speakers . Focus on best sound quality you could afford and system you could build upon and expand as more budget allows later.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis