F

fishead

Enthusiast
Hey Guys,
I just bought a house that is pre-wired for 7.1 surround. It has speaker wire coming out of outlets around the room for each speaker and an HDMI cable coming out of the ceiling. I am assuming the HDMI is for the speaker surround as I can see no other wires coming in to the tv area. I have a Dennon 2312 CI receiver that has plenty of HDMI inputs, but only 1 output. I think I would need to use that for the TV (Sony Bravia 60" LED Smart TV), so how would I hook up the surround using the pre-exsisting HDMI? Am I going to have to rewire the room to use the separate outputs?
Thanks in advance for your help!

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Guys,
I just bought a house that is pre-wired for 7.1 surround. It has speaker wire coming out of outlets around the room for each speaker and an HDMI cable coming out of the ceiling. I am assuming the HDMI is for the speaker surround as I can see no other wires coming in to the tv area.
That HDMI is probably for a projector.

F

fishead

Enthusiast
I thought that as well, but there is no other end for the HDMI coming out of the ceiling. It is a large vaulted room, with tongue and groove cedar. Attic access is very limited, but I may have to crawl up where I can in the attic to see if can solve the mystery. Thanks guys. I'm looking for speakers for the set up, but wanted to figure it all out first. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you, and yes, I'll use the search function first.
Cheers!

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I thought that as well, but there is no other end for the HDMI coming out of the ceiling. It is a large vaulted room, with tongue and groove cedar. Attic access is very limited, but I may have to crawl up where I can in the attic to see if can solve the mystery. Thanks guys. I'm looking for speakers for the set up, but wanted to figure it all out first. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you, and yes, I'll use the search function first.
Cheers!
Welcome, and fire away:)

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Hey Guys,
I just bought a house that is pre-wired for 7.1 surround. It has speaker wire coming out of outlets around the room for each speaker and an HDMI cable coming out of the ceiling. I am assuming the HDMI is for the speaker surround as I can see no other wires coming in to the tv area. I have a Dennon 2312 CI receiver that has plenty of HDMI inputs, but only 1 output. I think I would need to use that for the TV (Sony Bravia 60" LED Smart TV), so how would I hook up the surround using the pre-exsisting HDMI? Am I going to have to rewire the room to use the separate outputs?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Remove the wall plates in the tv area and look for the source end of your hdmi cable. Intermediate connections can degrade or kill hdmi signals so a lot of installers set them up with one cable from source to display.
Cheers,Mac

F

fishead

Enthusiast
wall plates

I pulled them all, and there's a lot, all I found is coaxial, and what looks like phone or data lines and I found the monster cable for the sub, no other speaker wire or the other end for the HDMI. Time to crawl in the attic.
On a speaker note, I found a local set of THX's for $750. They include a pair of THXSL200-TWR, THXSL200-MTR and a pair of THXSL-100 SR. Seems like a good deal, what are your thoughts on these? I'll have to come up with another pair of surounds for 7.1, but from what I've read that pair is the least important as it tends to be only background sounds like footsteps.
Thanks again!

F

fishead

Enthusiast
Room dimensions

To help, the room is 25' by 30' with a 13' cathedral ceiling. I'll post a pic when I figure it out how to post it.
Thanks!

F

fishead

Enthusiast
pic

Here's a link to the pic of the room, ignore the mess and old Sony set-up. I'm just starting this project. The room was built and as a dance and recording studio, so I have outlets galore and many audio plugs for instruments. You can see the HDMI coming out of the ceiling.

Flickr: fishead72's Photostream

ahblaza

ahblaza

I pulled them all, and there's a lot, all I found is coaxial, and what looks like phone or data lines and I found the monster cable for the sub, no other speaker wire or the other end for the HDMI. Time to crawl in the attic.
On a speaker note, I found a local set of THX's for $750. They include a pair of THXSL200-TWR, THXSL200-MTR and a pair of THXSL-100 SR. Seems like a good deal, what are your thoughts on these? I'll have to come up with another pair of surounds for 7.1, but from what I've read that pair is the least important as it tends to be only background sounds like footsteps.
Thanks again!
Can't comment on them, can you listen to them, how old are these, just curious?:)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Here's a link to the pic of the room, ignore the mess and old Sony set-up. I'm just starting this project. The room was built and as a dance and recording studio, so I have outlets galore and many audio plugs for instruments. You can see the HDMI coming out of the ceiling.

Flickr: fishead72's Photostream
Holy wood work batman.... Nice room though...

So do you need speakers for that room? I heard the monster line a while back and HATED them, google the part number with the word junk and Im sure you will get many results found... anyway if you are looking for speakers for that room...
Im thinking you are going to need a good budget to put a nice system in that room...

subs -dual vtf2's which is around $1164 shipped {on sale rite now}

7. is going to need 4 surrounds, you can skimp here and I would go with 2 pairs of these- Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair 300-652 they sound really good {on sale rite now} $34 per pair so $70 for 4 speakers...

Then your front 3, I would say- Ascend 340s- about $1000 for all 3 with tower stands... your AVR will easily run these to a good level...

That is the cheapest setup I can think of.. and its around $2200...

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Holy woodwork is right! A ton of reflective surface in that room.
Consider a large, thick area rug for that room and some wall treatments while you're at it.
Cheers Mac

F

fishead

Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice, i'm not buying any speakers until I can figure out the wiring. I've been all through the attic, to no avail. The rest of the house was remodeled this summer (prior to my buying) and I fear that the contractor may have covered the input side of everything. The previous owner had a control room set up for the recording studio in an adjacent room, and none of the microphone conniptions have outlets in there anymore. I think he wired the receiver to be in there, but now has been drywalled over. I may be back to the drawing board on this one.....grrrr

ahblaza

ahblaza

Thanks for the advice, i'm not buying any speakers until I can figure out the wiring. I've been all through the attic, to no avail. The rest of the house was remodeled this summer (prior to my buying) and I fear that the contractor may have covered the input side of everything. The previous owner had a control room set up for the recording studio in an adjacent room, and none of the microphone conniptions have outlets in there anymore. I think he wired the receiver to be in there, but now has been drywalled over. I may be back to the drawing board on this one.....grrrr
Sure sounds like it........:(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis