Toslink wire connection?

O

oymd

Enthusiast
I was browsing the guides here on audioholics and i came across this:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/avhardware/receiverconnectionssetup.php

"5.1 Analog In
Also called lin- in or DVD inputs or even pre-in. These are required for use with DVD players capable of playing back the SACD or DVD-Audio formats, high-resolution audio output cannot be transmitted through coax or Toslink so these separate analog inputs must be used (the digital HDMI format stands to change this in the near future). "

I have my DVD ans Sat reciever connected to my A/V reciever via OPTICAL toslink cables...I was under the impression they are FAR SUPERIOR to the regular analog RCA inputs....??

RIGHT???

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
oymd said:
I was browsing the guides here on audioholics and i came across this:

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/avhardware/receiverconnectionssetup.php

"5.1 Analog In
Also called lin- in or DVD inputs or even pre-in. These are required for use with DVD players capable of playing back the SACD or DVD-Audio formats, high-resolution audio output cannot be transmitted through coax or Toslink so these separate analog inputs must be used (the digital HDMI format stands to change this in the near future). "

I have my DVD ans Sat reciever connected to my A/V reciever via OPTICAL toslink cables...I was under the impression they are FAR SUPERIOR to the regular analog RCA inputs....??

RIGHT???
Well, yes, but, because of copy protection, they don't want you to have access to the master tape in essence ;) the DVD-A or SACD will not be passed through digitally. You will get DD or DTS, or 5.1 analog audio from DVD-A.

MarkSJohnson

MarkSJohnson

Junior Audioholic
Then what about Denon Link?

mtrycrafts said:
Well, yes, but, because of copy protection, they don't want you to have access to the master tape in essence ;) the DVD-A or SACD will not be passed through digitally. You will get DD or DTS, or 5.1 analog audio from DVD-A.
How does Denon Link or the growing number of equipment with Firewire connections function, then? Isn't the point of Denon Link to keep the transfer from universal player to receiver all digital?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I believe that one of the big things about Firewire is that it includes copyright protection on the cable so it is a protected format. Digital, yet protected. I haven't researched IEEE-1394 (Firewire/iLink) for a while though.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

MarkSJohnson said:
How does Denon Link or the growing number of equipment with Firewire connections function, then? Isn't the point of Denon Link to keep the transfer from universal player to receiver all digital?

As the above poster stated. You cannot steal the digital signals through that wire option and make studio quality copies :(

K

keenan

Junior Audioholic
The cable is just a cable, the problem is what are you going to do with the signals if you could get them. How and what would you use to copy/record them? ;)

Jim

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
BMXTRIX said:
I believe that one of the big things about Firewire is that it includes copyright protection on the cable so it is a protected format. Digital, yet protected. I haven't researched IEEE-1394 (Firewire/iLink) for a while though.
Firewire uses DTCP content protection protocol.

DVI and HDMI use HDCP content protection protocol.

See the followint from the Movie Producers Association of America (MPAA):
http://www.hpaonline.com/files/public/CBHuntFinal.pdf

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

keenan said:
The cable is just a cable, the problem is what are you going to do with the signals if you could get them. How and what would you use to copy/record them? ;)

Jim

Same way you would copy a CD or place digital data on a DVD? But as the last poster indicated, these paths include copy protection algorithms ;)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
At some point the industry is either going to have to give a major screw you forever to everyone, or simply bite the bullet and put the digital master into electronic format and live with the protective alogrithyms that are available in their digital format of choice.

Toslink doesn't offer any digital copyright protection - firewire & dvi do, I imagine about any new digital format would as well.

But, in the end, it will take about 2.3586 days for a computer whiz to decode the encryption and then another 15 minutes to write a program that will allow everyone to make perfect digital 1:1 copies of the source material.

C

cstanley

Enthusiast
there is no way to copy sacd's (even making your own sacd's is not an easy task even for pros - it invovles buying a $15k genex dsd convertor, some proprietery (i'm guessing here) sony software, who knows what kind of burner...) , but making dvd-audio disks is slowly coming down to the prosumer level. the new samplitude supports dvd-audio burning within the program.

has anyone made backup copies of dvd-audio disks using standard dvd backup utilities? i'm guessing that would work.

while it would be possible to copy sacd disks to dvd-audio - you would need a good sacd player, 5 (assuming multichannel) good AD convertors (benchmark, mytek, apogee), & a pc with samplitude & a dvd burner i think its just easier to spend the $20 for your own copy of a sacd disk.

is there any receiver out there that will take a 5.1 analog input & output a digital stream over toslink? for 2 channel sacd this is not a problem.

i found a "dvd audio ripper", but its unclear if it works on dvd audio disks, or just the audio part of dvd's...
http://www.mp3towav.org/DVD-Audio-Ripper/

there are alot of cd collections (high rate mp3 or FLAC) that play back on hi-fi systems using a media player (wireless unit with a TOS output) , but is it possible to do the same for multi-channel output? save them as AC3 files? are there any media players that output 5.1 thru a toslink device? (you could hook up a m-audio audiophile which will output 5.1...)

-carl

C

CosmicOne

Junior Audioholic
Nvidia SoundStorm can output 5.1 DolbyDigital sound through an optical cable,coz it have the abailty to decode DolbyDigital5.1

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis