Toslink diode damage from improper hookup

M

mdharms

Audiophyte
Hi, I came across this community looking for an answer to the following question. The most relevant information I could find was in an Audioholics article, which led me to the forums here. (I tried to post the link but cannot until I have 5 posts.... even though it's an article on this same website, ;))

I goofed up yesterday and plugged the optical audio out from my cable box into the optical audio out of my television. Since light is being transmitted and not electricity, I don't think any damage would result, but I would like an expert opinion to ease my mind.

Could the light signal firing on the diode in the television damage it in any way?

What would be the possible different outcomes if:
A) Both sources were firing, or
B) Only one source was firing

Thanks for helping with this silly predicament. I'm glad to have found this place for the future as well.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

I can't imagine that it would hurt anything, but I don't think that I've ever done that, so let me ask - do they both still work? If so, there's your answer. :)

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
As long as you didn't plug it into your cornea, everything should be fine.

M

mdharms

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies so far. It'd be great though if someone could reference an article or piece of information to better explain what happens in that scenario.

Just for comparison, does anyone know off hand how much damage will be done if this happens with, say, standard analog cables? In other words, electrical cables instead of optical ones. I doubt that manufacturers include protection against things like that (end-user stupidity) in most products.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
It is essentially taking two LED lights and shining them at each other. No damage is done.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the replies so far. It'd be great though if someone could reference an article or piece of information to better explain what happens in that scenario.

Just for comparison, does anyone know off hand how much damage will be done if this happens with, say, standard analog cables? In other words, electrical cables instead of optical ones. I doubt that manufacturers include protection against things like that (end-user stupidity) in most products.
What you did will do nothing to any circuitry ahead of the bulb or, in your case, the diodes. Diodes don't conduct in both directions and since these act as emitters, there's no chance that one damaged the other.

Re: plugging audio out to out and in to in- people have done this for decades and it doesn't hurt anything. There's not enough current or voltage to damage anything.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Absolutely nothing will happen, it's light, not a electronic signal. You will be fine, just keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis