Toshiba Wants Back into the HD Game with XDE

J

johnnybon

Junior Audioholic
I may have to give this player a try for SD DVD's

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
Why do people continue to compare Blu-Ray to DVd when it comes to market penetration, you are trying to compare apples to oranges in my opinion!!!

One of the biggest differences I recall with VHS vs. DVD (now) at this point into the market penetration is that new release VHS movies were not selling as cheaply as new rleease DVDs are now. VHS had a huge rental base at the time while I believe there is a much higher DVD buying market at this point.

There also is very little buzz about Blu-Ray compared to the DVD buzz that continued to build huge momentum back in its 2nd and 3rd years!!! In my opinion Blu-Ray penetration just cannot be compared to DVD penetration because the technology jump for Blu-Ray is nowhere near as impressive as DVD was!!!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Why do people continue to compare Blu-Ray to DVd when it comes to market penetration, you are trying to compare apples to oranges in my opinion!!!

One of the biggest differences I recall with VHS vs. DVD (now) at this point into the market penetration is that new release VHS movies were not selling as cheaply as new rleease DVDs are now. VHS had a huge rental base at the time while I believe there is a much higher DVD buying market at this point.

There also is very little buzz about Blu-Ray compared to the DVD buzz that continued to build huge momentum back in its 2nd and 3rd years!!! In my opinion Blu-Ray penetration just cannot be compared to DVD penetration because the technology jump for Blu-Ray is nowhere near as impressive as DVD was!!!
I've heard it's penetrating faster than DVD did.:confused:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
XDE is upconversion, and anyone (all of us?) with DVD collections can appreciate good upconversion technology. We are happy to PAY for good upconversion technology I would think.

So, all Toshiba needs to do, is put this good upconversion technology into a good Blu-ray player, and people have some reason to buy it.

Otherwise, XDE has a long list of competing products on the market already which actively persue the DVD crowd and can take DVD (480i) to 1080p for playback for well under 100 bucks. Most do a crappy job, but Toshiba has done nothing, and mean absolutely ZERO, to inform the general public about XDE, so nobody will view this product any differently than sub $100 upconverting players.

It's already a failed product if they are trying to take on the Oppos of the world.

It's an even bigger failed product if they are trying to take on Blu-ray.

But, if they incorporate into real next gen. technologies such as Blu-ray, and license XDE to other CE manufacturers (like Faroudja does), it could be a very profitable venture for them.

Based upon their recent actions, they will not do this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis