Toshiba HD-A2 for $100 at Walmart this Friday

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Got this in an email today and I have looked around the web seems to be legit. I am really pissed that my local Walmart doesn't even carry HD-DVD players and I won't be able to make it to another. Anyways guys have fun and get their early if you want a chance at it.

Remember to make sure your local store carries these units before you get all uppity so YMMV if you live in a little town like the one I am in :(:mad:.

Here is the link:

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Andrew, if there's not a limit on how many one can get, and if they are at my local store, PM me if you want me to pick you up one, and I'll ship it to you.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to Wal-Mart. :eek:

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HD-DVD Stock

A called my local store.
They don't currently carry HD-DVD players, but will have 16 of the HD-A2's in stock tomorow for the promo sale. I will stop bye after work and see if there are any left.

This also qualifies for the 5 free movie promo. So much for waiting out the format war.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
A called my local store.
They don't currently carry HD-DVD players, but will have 16 of the HD-A2's in stock tomorow for the promo sale. I will stop bye after work and see if there are any left.

This also qualifies for the 5 free movie promo. So much for waiting out the format war.
How is that? I was under the impression that deal was up on Oct. 31st.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I ran down the street to the local Walmart since it's 2 minutes from my house. There was no one in the parking lot, but there was a line about 15 deep in the electronics dept. They had run out of the HD DVD player one guy in front of me. The sad thing was the lady in front of us bought the laptop, and also got the A2 but had no idea what it was. When we asked her if she had an HDTV, she said no. She still bought it b/c it was a good deal. So I picked up that junk laptop - maybe I'll give it to my parents or kids for xmas. Arrrgh. Good new though, my sister in law was in another Walmart and picked up the A2 player for me.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Got this in an email today and I have looked around the web seems to be legit. I am really pissed that my local Walmart doesn't even carry HD-DVD players and I won't be able to make it to another. Anyways guys have fun and get their early if you want a chance at it.

Remember to make sure your local store carries these units before you get all uppity so YMMV if you live in a little town like the one I am in :(:mad:.

Here is the link:

http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret
Well don't feel so bad;)! Walmart up here is now offering books & magazines at US prices:rolleyes:. Still though no sign of hd players to be had for less then $350.00 cdn.

Last edited:
G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I got to the walmart on my way to work 10 mins before 8am this morning and there wasn't that many cars on the parking lot (looked like mostly employees). I walked to the electronics section and there was a line with 16 people in it (I was 17 in line). The sales guy comes out and says they only have 15 of them so I was screwed. The funny thing is that I heard some people talking in the line and some of them don't even have hdtvs. They were just there because it looked like a good deal. I guess they think that the A2 was going to make their non-hdtv high-def.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder how many of those folks will return those Toshibas when they hook them up and their TVs look just a bit better!:D:D Wally World will probably sell those for 50.00 as an open item!:D (and still make a profit!)

S

schiesz

Enthusiast
I got the A2 this morning, no one was in line or anything, at 8am they were just putting them on the shelves. They had plenty of laptops too.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Dude. EVERY Wal-Mart in my area is sold out!!!!!!!!!!!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
One guy in line said "I don't even know what this line is for, but I just saw people lined up so I got in because I figured it must be a good deal..." LOL. I saw three guys each walk out with one on my way out after they announced that there were none left :( It was worth a shot. We then walked down to Best Buy and managed to ask someone coming in to prep the store for opening, they checked and said they didn't have any A2s. I guess that means I will have to try to get up REALLY early and get an A3 at Sears on Black Friday.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
We have a small, mostly catalog Sears store in my town...no Wal-Mart. I checked Sears.com on Wednesday and they had them. If you go to a local Sears or Sears catalog store they'll honor any advertised price less 10% of the difference. Essentally, the HD-A2 would have sold for $80 there. So I went in yesterday and Sears had pulled all stock, nation-wide and told the stores the A2 were "unavailable". Today on Sears.com, they don't even list the model.

I guess they got wind of the sale on Wednesday night...and pulled a fast one. Oh well. :(

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
One guy in line said "I don't even know what this line is for, but I just saw people lined up so I got in because I figured it must be a good deal..." LOL. I saw three guys each walk out with one on my way out after they announced that there were none left :( It was worth a shot. We then walked down to Best Buy and managed to ask someone coming in to prep the store for opening, they checked and said they didn't have any A2s. I guess that means I will have to try to get up REALLY early and get an A3 at Sears on Black Friday.
One guy here at work got one on his way in this morning. :mad: I think I'll break into his car and take it. The guy's like 60 years old. He probably couldn't even tell the difference between SD and HD. Oh well.

I don't shop at Wal-Mart, so I guess I don't know the protocol. I guess you gotta get there right at 8am when they open. I didn't realize that so many people knew about the sale.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Got to Wally world at 6:40AM, already 5 or so people outside in 32 degree weather... so I stood there too in line for 20 minutes (then I was happy I wore my thick fire dept winter coat). About 15 people were in line when the doors opened; I was third through the front door, and everybody was walking to the electronics dept. I picked up the pace w/ my long stride (OK I jogged at the end...:D) Got to the players first, stack of 8 of them. Grabbed two, one for me and my father. That first stack went fast, then they slowly brought more out, but other than the initial rush to get in the front door, the electronics dept was pretty calm (heck only 20 people in the whole store!). More players were brought out and slowly picked up; a few just sat there for a while, so I got on the phone and started calling friends to see if I could get anybody else one, but everybody was at work already I guess. One guy saw me and asked how much the player was because he didn't know about the it being on sale, I told him and showed him where they were, so he bought one. HA! Most people didn't know about the rebate either so I told them about it too. A couple people were heading for HDMI cables, so I told them to get the cheapest ones, don't know if Wally world had $50 HDMI cables or not. The store had about 20 players I would guess. The last one was just sitting on the shelf when I was leaving (at 7:45, they didn't wait till 8AM to check people out at sale prices). I'd have been happy to picked one up for anybody and shipped to them; I offered Andrew that yesterday, but he made other arrangements. I almost bought that one for whoever here didn't get one, but thought it best not to since the rebate is one per household I thought maybe if the same receipt or credit card being used might be problematic. I had my girlfriend with me to buy the second player, so we could each file for a rebate.

Bought one HD-DVD (Batman Begins) while there, so I'd have SOMETHING to play; it'd be torture otherwise! Hooked up the player when I got home, watched a few scenes from Batman, and it looks good.

I was concerned, but I did not have either of the two issues Clint had in his review model which were problems with firmware update via ethernet broadband connection and general player noise.
Again, neither problem exists with my first unit, haven't opened the second one. The HD player is quiet, slight low fan noise but not loud; overall it's quieter than my old Pioneer DVD player actually. The firmware updated successfully without any problems on the first attempt; downloaded fine via the broadband connection. I ran an ethernet cable from my router which is in the basement up through the floor and into the wall behind the TV this morning, wasn't as bad as I've had to do before, so I was relieved (30-40 minutes).

The audio output of the TrueHD and DD+ audio track via the HD-A2 HDMI to my Denon 3806 (which has HDMI version 1.1) was converted to PCM 5.1 channels and output at a 48kHz sampling rate.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I contacted the local Magnolia (we have a few Magnolia stores separate from Best Buy here) and he said they had one left....turned out to be open box (which means a full factory warranty), but he is selling it to me for $80 :)

Last edited:
Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
One guy here at work got one on his way in this morning. :mad: I think I'll break into his car and take it. The guy's like 60 years old. He probably couldn't even tell the difference between SD and HD. Oh well.

......LOL... :D

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
I'm 27, but if I was 60, I'd kick your *** right now for making a comment like that. :p

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The first walmart I went to had just sold out, but there were like a dozen at the second.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis