D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Rolling Fork, MS

Always gets me how the tornado strips the trees of their bark. I watched the Joplin documentary in 2011 again, and what was interesting is only 18% of the homes had basements. Everyone survived that did. Imagine it's a matter of cost. From the time the tornado warning was announced to the tornado hitting was 17 minutes. Another thing is Joplin is right in the heart of tornado alley where the state boundaries merge. That ripped right through the heart of Joplin. One cost saver that was mentioned was adding stronger anchors to the walls and tornado clips to the roofs. Once the roof goes everything collapses.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I watched a Netflix documentary on tornadoes and it was pretty interesting. With the changes in climate, tornado "alley" has expanded from parts of a few states, to almost everything from TX to Michigan. The magnitude also has escalated, in that category 4 and 5 storms were not common, to now where we may see a few every year. Pretty scary.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
We have seen, in person, the aftermath of a tornado that hit the Trent Jones Golf Course west of Newnan, GA 10 years ago or so. The other one was a 30 minute drive from our southern Wisconsin home about 8 years ago. Then saw a year later the aftermath of the tornado in Biloxi, MS. It doesn't matter how small or large, it effects people's lives, like floods and snowstorms, too.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Rolling Fork, MS

Always gets me how the tornado strips the trees of their bark. I watched the Joplin documentary in 2011 again, and what was interesting is only 18% of the homes had basements. Everyone survived that did. Imagine it's a matter of cost. From the time the tornado warning was announced to the tornado hitting was 17 minutes. Another thing is Joplin is right in the heart of tornado alley where the state boundaries merge. That ripped right through the heart of Joplin. One cost saver that was mentioned was adding stronger anchors to the walls and tornado clips to the roofs. Once the roof goes everything collapses.
The main reason that the homes don't have basements, is for Geotech issues. The water tables are high and swampy. There are a lot of homes in the Northland that should not have basements either. I have had Geotech issues from high water tables, in all of my basements since moving to this area. My new home is right adjacent to a ground water lake, and when I found how high the water table was, and could get, I did not build a basement. So I reversed the house and put the 'basement" on the second story. I did build the house with 9" concrete reinforced walls though. I think that last round however might have done for them as well. This house should stand 150 mph winds, but I heard those reached 175 mph.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
El Reno was the largest recorded I believe at 2.6 miles wide. Not many deaths but about 4 storm chasers. Tim Samaras was the famous name. He was trying to get testing probes in the tornado. I can't believe he was driving a Chevy Cobalt. :confused:

Skip Talbot did a YT video on escape routes for chasers. He also did stuff on the formation of tornadoes and the vortex, back drafts etc. The vortex can get to 300 mph if I'm correct. There was another chaser who was caught on the edge draft and had his pedal floored but took some type to escape. When he got out he stopped and got his recorder going only to jump in the gulley.

There's also a classic tornadoes footage of a guy in.a field with his camera recording in a circle and there are 4 tornadoes around him. Small buy still insane.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Lazbuddie, TX 1995
Man moves camera in a circle that shows 6 tornadoes LOL.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
This was the 2013 El Reno, OK tornado damage. The first vehicle rolled 200 yds. Amazingly they all lived. The second was the Chevy Cobalt Tim Samaras and two other people were in. It is believed the vehicle may have been thrown a half a mile, and two of the bodies found two miles away. By the time they were hit the tornado had actually been slowing down, but their vehicle is believed to have been hit by a sub-vortex. The tornado went off it's NE route and went west briefly. Right about where the cobalt was hit. The tornado was a record 2.6 miles wide, but because there was so much rain it became difficult to see. I love this stuff, but the truth is you really really have to understand this stuff the true diameter of the tornado vs the heart of it. I was watching a Reed Timmer video, and it was amazing to see him what must be 50-75 yds from the edge of the tornado.
1682167434475.png

1682167644179.png

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Wish I could find the one with the young woman standing what seems like 50 yds from a small tornado. This will have to do.
1682241543170.png

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
This is a really good one from Reed Timmer. Dust tornado. I never really feel threatened by them too much till you get an up close shot. Beautiful.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Love watching it but not sure I can do it. I wouldn't be surprised if starts getting banned. Think I'm better off climbing.

• Chase vehicles parked perpendicular to roads blocking major intersections
  • Multiple chasers with red/blue police lights “pulling over” others to clear their path to the storm; in 70 mph winds and egg-size hail and less than a mile from a tornado, this could have been deadly
  • Traffic jams 200 cars deep
  • Chasers parking on/in the road to take pictures, blocking traffic
  • Chasers barreling down a one-lane road at 90 mph
  • Chasers driving on the wrong side of the road

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Loved that FL hurricane video way back. Couple guys enjoying the huge winds as their SUV shakes. Ahhhh in a good way. :cool:

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
The chase where they're following a small tornado from behind going down a path in kind of a field. Then all of a sudden the tornado changes directions and is coming towards them. Puts it in reverse and starts hauling ass. Classic. :D

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Lived if DFW (tornado alley) and we had to move to the first floor under the stairwells at work a few times when a tornado was spotted nearby. Same with my apartment complex. I live in northeast FLA now, so I have traded tornados for hurricanes. I prefer hurricanes because you do get some time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis