Took the PS3 plunge!

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Hi Guys,

I finally took the plunge and got a PS3. Circuit City's deal of a 40GB with spiderman 3 and a free controller got me. I used my new Sony card with the $100 rebate for a net cost of $299 + tax with the extra controller. Unfortunately I was at a conference and am too tired to hook it up tonight!
It feels good to be get in the game even though I'm still not feeling secure about Blu Ray's future:confused:

Pat

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Congrats on your purchase! Must not be too unsure?? :D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats. Even if blu ray doesn't work out, you still have a fantastic gaming mahcine.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Good choice :)
Hey, I wanted to see if you had any recs for me on the RGB and super white settings. I have the 720 AX100U projector. I have the white setting on and the RGB setting on auto. Any tips on other settings given my config below?:D
Thanks much!

We rented Ratchet and Clank from BB today. Amazing graphics! I can't wait to see Blu Ray, although I imagine it will be similar to HD DVD;)

Pat

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Settings in the PS3 or the projector? Anyone else have some thoughts on this?

Rachet & Clank isn't my type of game, but the graphics are quite good.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Hi Guys,

I finally took the plunge and got a PS3. Circuit City's deal of a 40GB with spiderman 3 and a free controller got me. I used my new Sony card with the $100 rebate for a net cost of $299 + tax with the extra controller. Unfortunately I was at a conference and am too tired to hook it up tonight!
It feels good to be get in the game even though I'm still not feeling secure about Blu Ray's future:confused:

Pat
So....do you feel better now? Congrats on the console, trust me, it's well built...i've had mine since launch day, never had an issue. Sony knows what they are doing.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Great purchase, already firmware update available!

Hi Guys,

Pat
Check Sony site you can upgrade your PS3 to version 2.20 released March 25, 2008. Blu Ray is very secure and the PS3 was a very,very good choice. I had a pS3 ,but lost in to the media room as a game machine so I got a Panaosonic DMP-BD30.

Also, haven't tried optical, but there is a significant difference by connecting via HDMI as opposed to component. Go HDMI if at all possible on 1080 or auto ( some games will only run 720P).

Cheers :)

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Settings in the PS3 or the projector? Anyone else have some thoughts on this?

Rachet & Clank isn't my type of game, but the graphics are quite good.
Yep, settings on the PS3. There are all sorts of choices for RBG, super white, etc. I am clear on the audio, Bitstream for everything but True HD, then LPCM. I have it set to 1080p even though my PJ is 720p thinking it is only one conversion at the projector, right??

GTA 4 and COD 4 are my types of games but I have a 7 year old who wanted to try out the new system. Ratchet and Clank is the only highly rated kid friendly game I could find:D It's actually the highest rated on amazon. 5 starts from 150 or so people. I may actually buy it.

Pat

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Check Sony site you can upgrade your PS3 to version 2.20 released March 25, 2008. Blu Ray is very secure and the PS3 was a very,very good choice. I had a pS3 ,but lost in to the media room as a game machine so I got a Panaosonic DMP-BD30.

Also, haven't tried optical, but there is a significant difference by connecting via HDMI as opposed to component. Go HDMI if at all possible on 1080 or auto ( some games will only run 720P).

Cheers :)
It's upgraded, did that right away. Very easy wireless setup as well.

I have it set to auto on the resolution, I checked on everything on but 480i. I use HDMI for the PS3, I just moved my DVR to component.

Also I noticed after I entered all the WEP numbers and letters by hand on setup that I could connect my MS bluetooth keyboard and mouse to the PS3. So there is a good thing about having bluetooth instead of IR I guess;):rolleyes:

Pat

Pat

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would just set it to 720p or auto. I have mine set to auto as I am only 1080i/720p capable also. If I forced it to 1080i, 720p games would come back and say 720p was recommended for them. I haven't touched any of the other display options, all are default for the most part.

I am not much for kid type games, which is why I wasn't too fond of R&C, but it did get great reviews.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis