Too Much Room Treatment?

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Good point, Doug. I should've mentioned I do tweak afterwards w/test disc and SPL, so I mainly only use the PEQ for frequency anomalies, not much else... -TD

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Carpet and drapes only affect a small slice of frequency range. If you want to get the most from your sound, you need some 4" panels.

I installed 8 GIK panels today, and almost crapped my pants. LOL

It makes a big difference. I still have some experimenting to do, but the difference was obvious.

My first test was chapter 28? from Batman Begins. It's the scene when the batmobile goes on a roof hopping joy ride. It's a scene I was very familiar with 'pre-panels' so it made a perfect test. Plus... it's a ROCKING SCENE!!!! "With" panels....WOW.....

If you dont have panels yet, it will be the best upgrade you've ever made. Please dont talk yourself into thinking that thin material can do the job like drapes...etc, etc...

I feel like an idiot for going 'panel free' my whole life until today. Having an acoustically treated makes a big difference.

S

ScottMayo

Audioholic
>acoustically treated makes a big difference.

Sing it, brother!

While I was waiting for my room to get finished, I had my speakers in my living room, and I had weeks to go before the room was going to be done, so I hooked them up. The sound was unimpressive to say the least. Flabby sound and only hints of imaging.

Once I moved them into the treated room, I thought I had the world's best speakers (and I still do). The difference is all but unbelievable. Everything is clean and crisp.

I still stare in horror at folk who will drop $100 on magic fuses and $1000+ on magic cables, and are listening to music in a 10x12x8 room without any attempt at treatment. Who knows, maybe the cables did make a difference - but there's no way to tell under all the room's smear and ringing.

Fix your room, then upgrade your speakers. *Then* worry about the rest. You may find you don't need to do much, once you're in control of the room.

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
The thing about this is acoustics are just boring.. Heck no flashing lights, no cool knobs, but as people treat there rooms it is the biggest thing talked about..
It is a slow process but people like myself, Ethan Winer, bpape (Bryan) are turning the tide.. :D

thumbs up to all of you that have seen the light!! For the rest of you, well you can always see the light down the road..

Glenn

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Hi Glenn;
Not sure if you saw earlier in one of my responses, but where are you guys located? I work just inside the top of the Perimeter and live in Roswell. Just curious if it would be possible to avoid shipping if I were to pick up some panels. I know, I'm a cheap-asss.. :) -TD

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
tomd51 said:
Hi Glenn;
Not sure if you saw earlier in one of my responses, but where are you guys located? I work just inside the top of the Perimeter and live in Roswell. Just curious if it would be possible to avoid shipping if I were to pick up some panels. I know, I'm a cheap-asss.. :) -TD
We are moving to our new location THIS WEEKEND just at spaghetti junction.. If you would email me through my company site and we can go from there..

Thanks,
Glenn

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Doug917 said:
tomd51,

As a previous owner of the Yammy 2500, I can tell you if you let it do the PEQ by itself the results are not too spectacular. However, if you manually adjust things using the dealer software (there is a link on this forum somewhere), then you can get pretty decent results. Forget trying to use the remote and doing it, you have to have the software to really do it correctly. You will still get night and day difference from treating the room, the PEQ may just add a few final touches.
Do a google search on Yamaha receiver manager software and you will find the link. It's pretty slick too.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Thks again, Doug, I was able to d/l it from your 'Google search' suggestion as well... -TD

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis