Too much redundancy on streaming devices?

S

Shell

Audioholic Intern
I need some help deciding which sources to use in my living room home theatre build. Also would like advice on my overall plan, so this may get lengthy so that I can give you guys the info you need to see the "big picture".

I will be using the current panel from my master BR, a Hitachi P50H401A plasma panel.
I will be using a DVR from Cox internet. It can stream 1080i, and the tech was "very sure" the streaming would include 5.1 also.
I have a Harmony 890 remote with RF extenders that I will use to control the system with macros.

The rest of the components are up for debate but I have most of them picked out.
Here are my goals:
A-One of my main focus' will be user friendliness for the entire family.
B-It will also be the hub for my distributed home audio, which I plan to separate into 2 zones. I like to stream Sirius, and other internet radio sources. I also stream music from my iTunes account which is on a shared family PC. I currently use a Squeezebox to accomplish this but plan to move that into my shop.
C-I want to be able to watch photos and video, podcasts from our iphones, and also use the iphones to control at least parts of the system.
D-I will be using my ceiling speakers for surround sound. These same speakers will be used in Zone1 of my distributed audio.
E- I would prefer to stream 1080P and 5.1 audio rather than 1080i.

I'm looking at the Pioneer BDP 140 and the VSX-53. Both are able to be controlled by iPhone using the iControlAV2 app.
The BDP140 will stream Netflix, Pandora, Picasa, and Youtube. Does it stream netflix3(1080P w/5.1)?
The VSX-53 receiver will stream Pandora, Rhapsody and my Sirius/XM. It has Airplay built in, as well as Airjam.

Here's where I'm confused:
I will use a 5th gen Airport Extreme as my new router, and was planning to get AppleTV as well, but I'm not sure if I need it if I have Airplay plus the streaming capabilities of the BDP and VSX. I did read that it only puts through 720P, not 1080P.

Will this combo be able to do what I want?
Please let me know if I have skipped over a necessary component.
Thanks for all your help!

S

Shell

Audioholic Intern
Went back and looked at the specs on my Hitachi plasma, old girl is only 1080i so I guess 1080p streaming is no longer such a huge concern.
Seriously considering ditching discs altogether now and just streaming through an AppleTV instead of buying the BDP-140.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis