Tom Petty's "Mojo" (new album) to be released on Blu-ray (audio)

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
http://www.amazon.com/Mojo-Blu-ray-Audio-Petty-Heartbreakers/dp/B003L45JLW?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3NMNADKJBRNLE&colid=2S8N6X5BN9KI9

$22.49 on Amazon, not a bad price at all. From Reprise records I believe this is the first major label to release an album on Blu-ray.

PRODUCER'S NOTE:
ABOUT THIS HIGH RESOLUTION BLU-RAY AUDIO DISC

This disc contains all 15 tracks from 'Mojo' in high-resolution 48K 24 bit PCM stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. It is an audio-only disc, with basic navigation and song information displayed on screen.

The 48K 24 bit audio on this disc has 256 times more resolution than a CD, providing greater detail and reproducing the music's full dynamic range, from the softest to the loudest sounds. To achieve full dynamic range it's necessary to master with less overall level, so this disc might not sound as 'loud' as a standard CD or film soundtrack. To compensate for this, turn up the volume!

The screensaver switches song information to non-static images of the cover art 30 seconds after each song begins.

Thanks for caring enough to invest in high quality sound. With this disc you are now able to hear at home what we hear in the studio.
Gotta love knowing in advance this disc will be free from awful dynamic range compression.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
And a follow-up from the co-producer, Ryan de Topanga:

Just wanted to jump in here. I engineered and co produced Mojo with Tom Petty & Mike Campbell. It was recorded through a Digidesign Venue monitor console directly to Pro Tools. The highest sampling rate that is supported with the Venue is 48K, so that's why we went with 24/48 not 24/96. 24/48 is the native format it was recorded in, so there was nothing to be gained by upsampling to 96k. Hope this clarifies things. BTW, the vinyl was mastered from the 24/48 digital files. Vinyl adds it's own sound which is very pleasant, but the digital files are what we were listening to when we mixed the album.

From the posts i've read here, I'm glad you are excited about Mojo on Blu-ray. I am too, and I'm doing everything I can to promote it (including this post). This is Warner's first "stand alone" audio-only Blu-ray release. If it does well, I'm sure they will consider putting more of their catalog out.

C

Christopher__BA

Junior Audioholic
I really hope this makes it into stores like Best Buy and not just stuck on Amazon. I still like to get software in stores sometimes. If I REALLY want something I'll order online (just ask Burning Shed), but damn it I don't like waiting for stuff. Hopefully, more and more audio blu-rays will come out with DVD-A and SACD now being basically dead. Blu-ray could be the next thing for "audiophiles."
LP's are ok......I've been thinking of giving them another chance. My player is not the best and I don't even know if it needs a new stylus. I'm getting a JBL pre-amp to go with my Adcom 2535 amp (found on Craigslist for $125) which is hooked to my computer. I gave up on computer surround and am going exclusively stereo now.

H

Hasselhof

Audioholic Intern
I was by the local Best buy. They said this was not mainstream enough for them to carry...so off to the internet for me.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I really hope this makes it into stores like Best Buy and not just stuck on Amazon. I still like to get software in stores sometimes. If I REALLY want something I'll order online (just ask Burning Shed), but damn it I don't like waiting for stuff. Hopefully, more and more audio blu-rays will come out with DVD-A and SACD now being basically dead. Blu-ray could be the next thing for "audiophiles."
LP's are ok......I've been thinking of giving them another chance. My player is not the best and I don't even know if it needs a new stylus. I'm getting a JBL pre-amp to go with my Adcom 2535 amp (found on Craigslist for $125) which is hooked to my computer. I gave up on computer surround and am going exclusively stereo now.
If you shop wisely, you can get an 80's Japanese table, used, in superb condition, that offers the performance of what you normally have to pay thousands to acquire. I can specify units of this quality if you desire. Also, there are a very few select cartridges that offer far higher construction quality and performance compared to most, if you pick wisely. So it is possible to have a very high performance LP player and cartridge set up for say, $600 total, maybe even less. Normally, $600 would buy you an 'entry' level 'audiophile' LP player, which btw, is compromised compared to what you can get for less money, used, picking 80's Japanese tables carefully.

-Chris

C

Christopher__BA

Junior Audioholic
I was by the local Best buy. They said this was not mainstream enough for them to carry...so off to the internet for me.
I'm just not a fan of best buy and actually liked circuit city better. It doesn't suprise me that they aren't carrying it. I don't know if I should buy it through Tom Petty's web site or Amazon.

C

Christopher__BA

Junior Audioholic
If you shop wisely, you can get an 80's Japanese table, used, in superb condition, that offers the performance of what you normally have to pay thousands to acquire. I can specify units of this quality if you desire. Also, there are a very few select cartridges that offer far higher construction quality and performance compared to most, if you pick wisely. So it is possible to have a very high performance LP player and cartridge set up for say, $600 total, maybe even less. Normally, $600 would buy you an 'entry' level 'audiophile' LP player, which btw, is compromised compared to what you can get for less money, used, picking 80's Japanese tables carefully.

-Chris[/QUOT

Quality cheap stuff is always cool with me. Although $600 is still a bit high for me. I have a Pioneer PL 960 with an ortofon needle. Is that player any good? I doubt it has too much wear and tear as I only played LP's on and off in my teen years. When cds came out I was hooked. I bought one of Yamaha's 1st cd models for around $400 dollars and really wish I hadn't given it away (but my friend was in dire need at the time). Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks from another Chris!

H

hwkn

Junior Audioholic
I'd like to get this disc but I'll wait to see if any stores get it[I don't like to go the internet route......shipping's too much money and takes too long].

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm running down on Monday to an independent record dealer and picking me up a copy of that there MOJO album on vinyl. Yes sirrreee . Thats what i'm aimin to do.

Seriously, from the reviews, its as good as "Dam The Torpedoes" arguably his finest work and a really well done recording to boot.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm running down on Monday to an independent record dealer and picking me up a copy of that there MOJO album on vinyl. Yes sirrreee . Thats what i'm aimin to do.

Seriously, from the reviews, its as good as "Dam The Torpedoes" arguably his finest work and a really well done recording to boot.
Frig... No albums yet so I downloaded the album while I wait for the vinyl to arrive. I haven't had time to listen to it extensively but I like what I've heard so far. Can't wait to get my hands on the record.

H

hwkn

Junior Audioholic
I picked it up yesterday and listened to a bit of it.......so far so good.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Frig... No albums yet so I downloaded the album while I wait for the vinyl to arrive. I haven't had time to listen to it extensively but I like what I've heard so far. Can't wait to get my hands on the record.
Well dam.. I called the place and they had one copy in and it already sold. What nut could possibly love vinyl?? :eek: So I tells the man on the other end of the line to put a hold on the next one that comes in or I'll have my cousin Alex come in and rough him up...maybe break a leg or three :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Finally got my mits on the vinyl copy of MOJO which was pressed in Germany. I look forward to hearing it again.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Finally got my mits on the vinyl copy of MOJO which was pressed in Germany. I look forward to hearing it again.
Dam. This album is something and it has become my new reference vinyl easily beating the quality of Tracey Chapman's self title album which is no slouch either.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
I agree the album is really good and nice to hear they did a good job on the vinyl pressing. I hope not too many people were thrown off by the fact the master was 24/48 and that is what the vinyl was pressed from, because if your analog chain is your preferred listening format it makes sense to still pick up the vinyl.

I really like the 5.1 dts-ma mix on the Blu-ray (24/48). It is not gimmicky with stuff flying all around you like Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A, but rather nicely opens up the soundstage as though you're sitting directly in front of the band in a semi-circle in the studio. The fidelity is fantastic and it's such a treat to hear an album with every single bit of dynamics intact.

I hope Tom gets his way with working on the catalogue for Blu-ray release. I can't wait for Southern Accents, Full Moon Fever, Wallflowers and Into The Great Wide Open. Hopefully someone at WB gets a clue and tests the waters with some other releases, like some nice 5.1 remasters of the first four Dire Straits albums for example.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree the album is really good and nice to hear they did a good job on the vinyl pressing. I hope not too many people were thrown off by the fact the master was 24/48 and that is what the vinyl was pressed from, because if your analog chain is your preferred listening format it makes sense to still pick up the vinyl.

I really like the 5.1 dts-ma mix on the Blu-ray (24/48). It is not gimmicky with stuff flying all around you like Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A, but rather nicely opens up the soundstage as though you're sitting directly in front of the band in a semi-circle in the studio. The fidelity is fantastic and it's such a treat to hear an album with every single bit of dynamics intact.

I hope Tom gets his way with working on the catalogue for Blu-ray release. I can't wait for Southern Accents, Full Moon Fever, Wallflowers and Into The Great Wide Open. Hopefully someone at WB gets a clue and tests the waters with some other releases, like some nice 5.1 remasters of the first four Dire Straits albums for example.
Dire Straits "Love Over Gold' on the standard vinyl is very dynamic and well recorded. I would by the remastered vinyl version of that album in a heartbeat.

C

Christopher__BA

Junior Audioholic
This took FOREVER for me to get and it (Blue-ray disc) was worth the wait. Now if someone would please send me some Paradigm Studio speakers, I could really enjoy it even more.

S

StonedPimp

Audiophyte
Just finished my second listen. Now, I'm not a huge TP fan, but I wanted to support the new format of hi-def audio.

This is a very well put together BD-A. The 5.1 spacing is superb. So very natural and smooth. Just pop in the disc & it plays...so no worry about having to turn on your TV.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I'm not a huge TP fan, either, but the BD did have great sound. I'm looking forward to a lot more Multichannel BD audio discs, since DVD-A and SACD (except Classical & Jazz) are pretty much a thing of the past.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis