To OPPO or to not OPPO? Can you really see the difference???

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Hi all,

I currently use Samsung BD-ES6000 as my bluray player,.
I do hear and see many "pro" theaters use OPPO brand players.
I can get OPPO 83 cheap on ebay and then I see higher models that cost $1,000+.

My question .... is the picture/sound worth it??? What's so special about OPPO?

thank you

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you had a 120"+ screen, you might see a difference, but IMO, you won't see a big difference in PQ. Audio wise, the standard models 83, 93, 103 will likely not have vastly improved audio either. You'd have to step up to the higher models: 83SE, 95 and 105 for improved audio. Audiophiles are generally the ones after the higher models. What's so special is: they do it right.

I just happen to be selling an excellent condition 83SE in the classifieds for what is basically a ridiculous price (and still nobody has picked it up :rolleyes: :D )

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/classifieds-sell-your-gear/82566-fs-oppo-bdp-83se.html

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
If you had a 120"+ screen, you might see a difference, but IMO, you won't see a big difference in PQ. Audio wise, the standard models 83, 93, 103 will likely not have vastly improved audio either. You'd have to step up to the higher models: 83SE, 95 and 105 for improved audio. Audiophiles are generally the ones after the higher models. What's so special is: they do it right.

I just happen to be selling an excellent condition 83SE in the classifieds for what is basically a ridiculous price (and still nobody has picked it up :rolleyes: :D )

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/classifieds-sell-your-gear/82566-fs-oppo-bdp-83se.html

$460 on ebay ;-)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
But EBAY. 50% chance of not working :D Mine has 100% chance of being as I described it. He probably lowered his price after seeing mine, because some fool the other day was asking $700 for one :rolleyes:

And I'd match that...:D

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
But EBAY. 50% chance of not working :D Mine has 100% chance of being as I described it. He probably lowered his price after seeing mine, because some fool the other day was asking $700 for one :rolleyes:

And I'd match that...:D

50% change not working? which Ebay are you shopping? hahaha.

anyway, doing my research to see if I really need it

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If all you are doing is watching region A BDs on your player, I doubt it would be worthwhile buying an Oppo. If you are watching DVDs, the Oppo might upconvert them better, but upconversion seems to have gotten much better in recent years, so I would not be surprised if that was not dramatically different either.

Now, the Oppo will play things like SACDs and DVD-Audio discs, so if you want to play such things, then it would make sense to get an Oppo. Also, on eBay, people sell kits to allow you to change the region of the player for many (or all?) Oppo BD players, so if that were of interest to you, then it may be worthwhile to get an Oppo.

In my case, I have an old Panasonic BD player, and will probably buy an Oppo after it dies, because I do care about other regions and about those other discs. But right now, I don't need it (I have an old Oppo DVD player to take care of everything except non-region A BDs, of which I presently have none).

Another thing that is good about Oppo is that they are good about updating firmware as needed, so it can be a good long-term choice. But in your case, I would not bother unless you want to play something your current player cannot play.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Pyrrho is 100% correct. SACD/DVD-A and upscaling are the main reasons you'd want an Oppo. I have a Panny BD-65 and three PS3s. They all upscale DVDs about as well as one another. Like I said, where you might see a difference is on a much larger screen. On a typical display of ~65" or smaller, it will be more difficult to really tell a big difference unless you are REALLY looking for it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the 105, but 95% of the time I just use my cheap Sony BX59 ($99.99), for reasons others have already cited.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
well, some update and question ..........

I enjoy the ease of finding a good quality 320kbps MP3 or a FLAC file, drop it on my USB and stick it into my Samsung BD-ES6000 bluray ($150). Only problem is that it sounds wayyy worse than regular CD (same file size as FLAC) but that plays on my Sony C222ES ($500 back in a day player).

I don't want to sit a burn CDs all day !!! :)

Question .... is it because Sony has better guts that make music sound better? Better connection (Sony uses Analog cables, my blu-ray uses HDMI)?

How do I make my USB stored FLAC/MP3 sound better? Will upgrading to a better Blu-Ray player help???

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Audio the 95 or 105 wins hands down over the 93. Video find yourself an older 93 or just get a new 103 and be done or buy the unit from garcia. I own the 93, 95 and 105 with the 105 being a better all around audio player. Movies, the 93 works great as I cant see a difference, but of course like anything, how the movie or music source was obtained or mastered makes all the difference in he world to the ears.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Save your money and buy a used Oppo 980(No Blu-ray, just DVD playback) on ebay. I bought one to playback my DVD-A and SACD last year and it's an amazing machine for 120 bucks or less. It has a USB in from to play pretty much any Movie, MP3/Flac codec. If you want everything in one get Jgarcia's 83SE. If I had the spare money I'd get it.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Save your money and buy a used Oppo 980(No Blu-ray, just DVD playback) on ebay. I bought one to playback my DVD-A and SACD last year and it's an amazing machine for 120 bucks or less. It has a USB in from to play pretty much any Movie, MP3/Flac codec. If you want everything in one get Jgarcia's 83SE. If I had the spare money I'd get it.

Very, very interesting point .... so you are saying that my music through USB port via Oppo 980 will sound better than current Samsung BluRay? Same HDMI connection?

thanks.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I would think so. Oppo Is made for better sound quality and picture quality. The Oppo 980 also upscales your DVD's and I can see the difference. You can also use an Optical cable as well. Another option Is you can buy a Fiio E11 amp when you use your MP3 player(sometimes the output are crap on them) for a even better sound. I forgot to mention you can make it multi region DVD with the 980 If you google. I bought a Bruce Lee boxset and also a Tom Jones Concert from europe region and It looks great.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I had a 970 and 980 and they were both pretty solid players considering their price at the time. I didn't want to give up my 980 when I bought the 83, but the 83 has an even better upscaler than the 980 and basically does everything the 980 did for me so I really didn't need it.

sgtjim

sgtjim

Junior Audioholic
I upgraded from a Sony BDP S350 so for me it was a "huge" upgrade. Value is really up to each individual. What I should have done was waited a while and got the BDP 103 but what to heck. I'm very pleased with the 93 and all that it offers me.

My stuff:

Panasonic - VIERA / TCP55VT50
Emotiva XPA-5 X-Ref 12 sub
Denon 2807
Oppo BDP 93
B & W N804 Mains
B & W 603 Rear surrounds
B & W LCR 600 Center
ASW 600 sub
B & W CDS6 S3 rear heights

Be nice to add a signature

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I upgraded from a Sony BDP S350 so for me it was a "huge" upgrade. Value is really up to each individual. What I should have done was waited a while and got the BDP 103 but what to heck. I'm very pleased with the 93 and all that it offers me.

My stuff:

Panasonic - VIERA / TCP55VT50
Emotiva XPA-5 X-Ref 12 sub
Denon 2807
Oppo BDP 93
B & W N804 Mains
B & W 603 Rear surrounds
B & W LCR 600 Center
ASW 600 sub
B & W CDS6 S3 rear heights

Be nice to add a signature
Things changed a lot since the S350. The S350's upscaling was terrible at best but the S380 and S590 are as good as my ex 95. The 105 is not better than the 95. Basically on my Kuro 50" they all look the same. The Oppo may in fact be better with much larger screens but I still doubt that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis