To Bi-Wire or not to Bi-Wire, that is the question.

whoabackoff

whoabackoff

Audiophyte
I recently picked up a pair of Klipsch RB-61 bookshelf speakers and started wondering why there were 2 sets of binding posts at the back of the speakers. Apparently these are for bi-amping or bi-amping the speakers.

I only have 1 amp (flea-watt tube amp) making bi-amping out of the question, so I'm wondering if there is actually any advantage to bi-wiring speakers. Any info on this topic would be helpful.

Thanks

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Buy wire, not bi-wire is the proper term.

It's a waste of money and should not be done. If you aren't bi-amping, then you would be buy-wiring. The only reason to buy-wire is because you are wiring the room behind walls and you may bi-amp at some point, so it's easier/better to get two pairs of wire behind each speaker at that time. If you aren't doing in-wall/difficult wiring, then save your cash.

T

tjf120

Audioholic Intern
Its a highly debated topic, my recommendation is to hook it up both ways, compare the results using the same source equipment and see what you think.

I personally experimented with it on both my systems, there was no audible difference running either single or dual wires to each speaker. Theoretically bi-wiring could actually introduce noise into the system.

Instead of bi-amping, I just went and bought 'large' amplifiers and single wired everything.

The way I usually explain it is this, a handheld iron, or hairdryer, will pull up to 15 Amps of current through that little cord attached to it (usually 14 or 16 Ga). If you run 12 Ga cable to your speakers, you have a beefier cable to your speakers, so you could pull about 15 Amps PER speaker. I don't care what amp/speaker you have, you won't get there.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Bi-wiring and bi-amping are controversial audio subjects that never go away.

In the distant past when powerful amplifiers cost much more than good quality full-range speakers, most people had somewhat underpowered amps. Someone once tried using two amps to separately power the woofer and tweeter. Because they had less than adequate amp power to start with, it is believable that using two such amps could make an audible improvement.

Someone else, who lacked the extra amps, tried bi-wiring, using one amp but with separate wires to the woofer and tweeter. It is physically impossible, no matter what any one may claim, that such an arrangement could make an audible improvement. Theory aside, no one has ever been able to credibly demonstrate that it can improve a speaker's sound. Yet, with the aid of the internet, this myth persists.

What if I have spare speaker cables lying around?
It is extremely simple to use what wire you have lying around and try it. Go ahead with our blessings. If you like it, fine.

If, instead, you really have to ask about this on this forum, I and others might conclude that you'd rather stir up a fight than learn something useful. There have been others before you who asked the same question. Look up those threads - there are abundant examples. So which is it? Are you a naive noob or a troll posing as one?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Bi-wiring and bi-amping are controversial audio subjects that never go away.

It is extremely simple to use what wire you have lying around and try it. Go ahead with our blessings. If you like it, fine.
I would like to see the companies take the bi-wire and bi-amp option
off the speakers - take that cost savings, and apply it to a better
crossover and filter network, that will take care of some of the peaks
and dips, in the frequency response.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have long given up responding to posts on this topic but it has not come up for quite some time so I thought I would offer my opinion one more time. Most manufacturers of speakers and amplifiers will tell you bi-wire and bi-amp will improve SQ. I know the theory behind both schemes are perfectly sound but I also believe they do not make any audible difference as our hearing capability are limited and cannot discern the difference. It is a bit like comparing two amps of equal power capability, one has 0.002% THD and the others 0.02%. You won't be able to tell the difference even though one has THD 10 times higher. In fact, you may find the one with 0.02% sounding better but that does not mean it is factual. Are there in fact differences? Definitely if you display their output waveforms on the proper instrument. The spectrum analyzer won't lie to you. In the case of bi-wire, I took my own measurements so I know the current flow in the wires are in fact different. So I know on an oscilloscope and/or spectrum analyzer the electrical differences could be shown clearly, but whether such differences are audible or not, is, as has been said earlier, controversial.

I have the wires lying around so I bi-wire my front speakers. They seem to sound better simply due to Placebo effect. I do not believe bi-wire would introduce more noise if done properly and I have no idea where that poster got it from. As someone has said already, try it if you have the wires already. If it does no harm to the sound in any way then you may consider leaving them on. Otherwise save the wires for something else.

Last edited:
T

tjf120

Audioholic Intern
I have the wires lying around so I bi-wire my front speakers. They seem to sound better simply due to Placebo effect. I do not believe bi-wire would introduce more noise if done properly and I have no idea where that poster got it from. As someone has said already, try it if you have the wires already. If it does no harm to the sound in any way then you may consider leaving them on. Otherwise save the wires for something else.
The comment 'as long as its done properly' is where the comment comes from about it possibly negatively affecting it.

I've seen analysis where people will run 'any cable they have lying around as the poster mentioned' - and running cables that are all different lengths, type of connectors (spade, banana etc) that they actually measured worse performance bi-wiring.

Like you said, if done properly, shouldn't be any notable difference.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The comment 'as long as its done properly' is where the comment comes from about it possibly negatively affecting it.

I've seen analysis where people will run 'any cable they have lying around as the poster mentioned' - and running cables that are all different lengths, type of connectors (spade, banana etc) that they actually measured worse performance bi-wiring.

Like you said, if done properly, shouldn't be any notable difference.
Agree, I am a little crazy that way as I use identically make cables that are "lying around", and measured them to within a quarter inch.:D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What if I have spare speaker cables lying around?
If done improperly you likely won't notice any negative affects. But, if done properly, you also won't notice any positive affect. The testing and numbers all support that there is nothing about this that does anything but cost consumers money and time.

If you want to hook it up that way, then do it. But, there will be no audible improvement. This is known to be fact.

Exception: If you are using 20 gauge speaker wire which is to thin to begin with, you may finally bring it up to a gauge that is appropriate. But, if you are using two sets of 14 gauge wire for a dozen feet... no chance of audible improvement. Everything supports this.

R

Refresh

Audiophyte
is this the same as bi-amping?

I read an article online on the onkyo 608 thats shows measured 82 watts a channel into 5... but if you run 7 channels or bi-amp, its only 32 watts per channel which seems %100 gimmick to me...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
is this the same as bi-amping?
Not at all the same.

Bi-wiring is running two pieces of wire off the same amplifier output to two inputs on a speaker. Bi-amping is using two separate amplifiers to power two separate inputs on a speaker.

I read an article online on the onkyo 608 thats shows measured 82 watts a channel into 5... but if you run 7 channels or bi-amp, its only 32 watts per channel which seems %100 gimmick to me...
All receivers lose power when you run more channels at once pretty much without exception. They truly are designed with only so much power.

Typically bi-amped setups are done by using separate quality amplifiers to deliver more power and doing so reliably.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis